Heel & Toe

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Correct me iff I'm wrong . . but . . heel'n toe ain't aka "rev-matchin".
'Diff'rent critterz.
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
By way of example. I heel-toe all downshifts regardless of where I'm driving. Been doing that for 50 years.
i ain't much of a driver, but i have been drivin' for about 47 years. don't mean much. learned to drive a manual transmission in the driveway in a '55 chevy station wagon with a 265 and 3-on-the tree; didn't do too much heal and toe with that baby. and, bb is the hottest thing i have ever owned. i may have driven 750,000 miles, give or take 100,000--i would have to give it some real thought. tequila got my mind right now so thinkin' is not at its tip-top. my drivin' resume.

you can rev-match without heal and toeing. you cannot heal and toe without rev-matching; that is the whole point. heal'n'toe ain't aka rev-matchin', this is true, but one cannot heal'n'toe without the ol' rev-matchin' thing goin' on.

i do not believe that it is possible to heal-toe every downshift. i downshift all of the time without touching the break petal. L8Apex, i believe you meant something else.

now, i could be wrong...it has happened before...once.

pepe lopez sends his warm, and i mean do mean warm, regards.

bb
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

The pedals are much easier to heel-toe shift than my Z. For me, it helps when I roll my ankle a bit to get that toe more secure on the brake and easier to blip the throttle with my heel. I only time really heel-toe is downshifting to 2nd just before my turns. I used to do it all the time to help slow down at stoplights but now I'm getting ricers and stangs f'ing with me all the time when they hear my blip that throttle..

Last edited by Java Junky; 05-05-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
now, i could be wrong
bb
That's right. There are certain situations where I just rev-match but if it's a deceleration, it's heel-toed.

Last edited by L8Apex; 05-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Regardin' rev-matchin' . . I godda real hard time imaginin' anybody seriously drivin' successfully in Stewie widdout dey're rev-matchin'.

'Jus' seemz'da me'datt not rev-matchin' wit' somedin'z handlin'-intense'z Stewie'd have more membaz gettin' upp-close'n personal wit' nature'n havin'a part deir ridez out.
Y'know?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 AM
normal aspiration

That's right. There are certain situations where I just rev-match but if it's a deceleration, it's heel-toed.
By way of example. I heel-toe all downshifts regardless of where I'm driving. Been doing that for 50 years.
i think that maybe you should re-read your quotes and see if you really mean what you are saying. i think i know what you mean, but it ain't what you are saying.

there are many times, and more often than not, when i rev-match to decelerate, but do not have my toe, the ball of my foot or any other body part on the brake pedal.

i def do not heel-toe all downshifts.

remember now, i am not a track junkie, but i do like to drive, and enthusiastically.

now as to jj: i has seen someone driving an S2000 without a clue as how to downshift, rev-match properly. same person had no clue how to get any power out of an F22 either. it was painful to watch a GTO jockey try to muscle my little honda. he didn't want no lesson either, as he "knew how to drive." a little gentle persuasion got him on the right track. it ain't like driving anything else. and, day-um, it shore is fun. going out to vtec right now in a minute.

bb
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Got S2000?

This thread's just a bunch'a crazy-talk. Pay attention to Mr. Motaharu Kurosawa as he shows us what beeb is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY

But I wouldn't expect anyone but T6 to pull off the white socks/black shoes bit. Damn!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
there are many times, and more often than not, when i rev-match to decelerate,
bb
You're bad. Engine braking is a no-no. Use the brake, aka, heel-toe.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Doze shoez'n soxx'n'a pair' sixx'z famous I'd-radda-be-dead'n-seen-inn-anydin'-like-doze shortz?
'Mogglez'da bine Jim.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Rev matching is simply using the throttle to match the rpms on both sides of the clutch friction surface which elinimates the slip and wear of a clutch engagement. This works either on down shifts or upshifts and many of us articulate the gas pedal to do this.

"Heel and toe" is to match rpms while braking at the same time, generally to get into the right gear to execute a fast corner.

When first learning High Performance driving, one is taught to brake to corner entry speed and then down shift. The next step is to combine the braking and shifting thus saving additional split seconds and preserving speed.

So "rev matching" is part of Heel &toe.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Ah so glasshoppa!
But paht-of is not samey-same. Hai?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM

hai.