Rear Speakers in a 2007

Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Middle-Aged Crazy

Rear Speakers in a 2007

I've been searching through the archives of the site looking for information regarding the rear (roll bar) speakers in a 2007 Stewie, but still haven't got a clear answer. I have some small speakers in the roll bar behind the headrest but very little sound is coming out of them. Even when I adjust the fade to "R+9" it just doesn't seem right. I have read a lot of complaints about the sound system in the S2000, but since I don't find it to be as bad as some have made it out to be I'm really not interested in changing the head unit out. I was lookng for any input on the rear speaker sound from others with a similar year.

Is this how it's supposed to sound? Could the rear speakers be installed or wired incorrectly?

Thanks for any input! Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
H20

Ya I have an 07 as well. They just "seem" to be tweeters. I bumped up the level some. They just help a bit with the wind noise. This is a fairly noisy car which never bodes well for a sound system. What I did was do some undercoating underneath and that helped greatly with road noise. Of course I was "soundly" trounced for spraying undercoating on an S2000, but I did it for a reason and with my eyes wide open and it did what I hoped it would.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Senior Newbie

Hey, thanks, I didn't think about undercoat... I had an 03 and these new behind-the-ears speakers make a great difference for me, and the fader works wonders, so I'm wondering if Nick's speakers/stereo are in fact wired right. If I go full R I hear it all behind me even at full speed, but now I've noticed a rattle back there at low frequencies that's bugging me...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:28 AM
H20

Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Hey, thanks, I didn't think about undercoat... I had an 03 and these new behind-the-ears speakers make a great difference for me, and the fader works wonders, so I'm wondering if Nick's speakers/stereo are in fact wired right. If I go full R I hear it all behind me even at full speed, but now I've noticed a rattle back there at low frequencies that's bugging me...
Hmm maybe my 07 also has a problem. But those tiny tinny little tweeter size things couldnt produce much sound I would think, other then high's and maybe a bit of mid.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM

A real stereo makes a big difference even with the top down.

Alpine IDA-X001, Focal 165 K2P speakers, Boston 10.5LF Subwoofer, Phoenix Gold ZX475Ti & Xenon X600.1 Sub Amp

Jonathan
Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 PM
tag

Dave, i've got a MY08, i read your post and realized that i never have actually heard my rear rolllbar speakers. faded the sound all the way to R-9 and cranked it. they get about as loud as an old transister radio or a $10 clock radio but even tinnier. they really don't add much sound. in reading the various forums, i've learned that pretty good sound can be had from a good set of fronts only and that adding rears can actually be detrimental due to some nebulous concept called phasing.

i'm looking to do some upgrading kinda along these lines...i want to be able to play my IPOD in the car, the music i like has lots of bass, i may have to buy more stuff than usual. already on the way from crutchfield is an alpine 9886 and a dci from modifry.

Johnathan, i was thinking of running a setup similar to yours but am wondering, just how much power is too much in a car as small as ours. a big amp running a sub is really tempting but how good would your sound have been if you had stopped at your IDA-X001 plus the Focals?

sorry for the hi-jack but i did contribute to the OP's question and maybe we can get some good info here.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Middle-Aged Crazy

Thanks for the input Tag. Sound like my speakers are working "normally," albiet shitty.

No problem on the hi-jack either...hoping for more good answers.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
gray vehicle fanatic

How to gain access to the AP2 rear speakers

How do I gain access to the rear speakers? I see some panels, but before I start trying to pry the panels loose, I wanted to make sure what the best way was (without breaking anything!)
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by tag View Post
Dave, i've got a MY08, i read your post and realized that i never have actually heard my rear rolllbar speakers. faded the sound all the way to R-9 and cranked it. they get about as loud as an old transister radio or a $10 clock radio but even tinnier. they really don't add much sound. in reading the various forums, i've learned that pretty good sound can be had from a good set of fronts only and that adding rears can actually be detrimental due to some nebulous concept called phasing.

i'm looking to do some upgrading kinda along these lines...i want to be able to play my IPOD in the car, the music i like has lots of bass, i may have to buy more stuff than usual. already on the way from crutchfield is an alpine 9886 and a dci from modifry.

Johnathan, i was thinking of running a setup similar to yours but am wondering, just how much power is too much in a car as small as ours. a big amp running a sub is really tempting but how good would your sound have been if you had stopped at your IDA-X001 plus the Focals?

sorry for the hi-jack but i did contribute to the OP's question and maybe we can get some good info here.
The Focals max input power is 170 watts, mine are running with approx. 70 watts, based on the position of the gain pots on the amp. The IDA doesn't have enough output to really drive them, but there is no reason not to try it. Plus the Focal crossovers do not work at least in my car. They only have a tweeter adj and the problem was an over abundance of booming base. I have them biamped via the 24db/octave crossovers in the Phoenix amp. When I tried to run the Focal passive crossovers I had to buy extra cables to enable the Phoenix so it was a lengthy test. I still have a pair of original MB QUart QM 218.16's. They also sound better biamped but they are not bad with passive crossovers. Unfortunatly neither the amp I have or the MB Quarts are available anymore. The MB Quarts don't require any mods to install them and I am tempted to sell them. Pm me if you are interested of have anymore questions.

Jonathan
Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 PM

I have an 07 s2000 and the rear headrest tweeters went out. what is the size of the four tweeters and is it easy to reaplace
Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon