Purpose of Insulation in Spare Tire Area - S2000 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Purpose of Insulation in Spare Tire Area

Stored my S2000 in garage over winter and ended up with mice living in the area where the spare tires is stored. That area is full of insulation and the perfect place for their home.

I cleaned up the loose insulation and spray what remains with a disinfectant. However, I still smell their leavings in the main cabin. I suspect it is coming through the vents behind the seats which lead to that area.

I think I need to rip out all the remaining insulation. If I do that, do I need to replace it? What is the purpose? Sound barrier?
DougSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Just taking a guess, but my assumption is that the insulation is for acoustic purposes.
ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

That green mixed recycled material that you have been removing is a low tech and inexpensive NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness) insulation. It is supposed to absorb excess sound. The problem is that mice like it, it is not hydrophobic and it has, in your case, permanently absorbed all that animal waste byproducts. Get rid of it.

I have attached a couple of threads I made concerning my sound insulation efforts. It has been a few years now since I went down this road and I am glad I did. The transmission noise, tire noise, and much external vehicle noise has greatly diminished. My speakers sound so much better and the doors have a satisfying clunk when they close. However, I did not use any forward of the seats so the great engine sound comes through.

Advantages of the Thinsulate include hydrophobic qualities, light weight, removability, and outstanding NVH qualities. The individual fibers are cut to half the targeted sound wave length for max effectiveness.

https://www.s2000.com/forums/interio...ing-noise.html

https://www.s2000.com/forums/interio...-bad-ugly.html
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #4

Thank you cosmomiller! That is very good information and the pictures help a lot in understanding how to install the two layers. I think I will start down the same path as you. Just need to get the materials now.
DougSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

The key is obtaining the materials. Thinsulate is normally not sold retail. You may have to get it from a sound install shop or contact 3M directly. That is what I did. The product I received were sent as complementary samples. Consideration for the samples on my part was a write up on the install as my POC was 3M's Honda/Acura industrial NVH automotive manager.

I used BQuiet. Good reviews, good price and most importantly, no smell. You want something devoid of out gassing smells. Don't go cheap on this.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote