Accessory Outlet - Strange Problem

Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 PM

Accessory Outlet - Strange Problem

I've owned my '05 for about a year (29,500 miles and has been well cared for). Everything works like new, except the in-cabin 12V accessory outlet on the rear of the console. The fuse is good, and I get 12-14V when I test at the outlet with a volt meter, but when I plug in my cell phone or gps charger nothing happens.

I plugged in a corded accessory plug which has ring terminals on the wire ends. When I test the voltage at the wire ends of the accessory plug it also reads 12-14V, however when I connect any load to the terminals (phone charger, 12V trouble light) the voltage goes down: zero in the case of the trouble light and to 2V with the phone charger. I've tested the phone charger and the bulb with a spare 12V battery, and they both work fine off that, so I think it's something in the circuit.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 10-31-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arty View Post
I've owned my '05 for about a year (29,500 miles and has been well cared for). Everything works like new, except the in-cabin 12V accessory outlet on the rear of the console. The fuse is good, and I get 12-14V when I test at the outlet with a volt meter, but when I plug in my cell phone or gps charger nothing happens.

I plugged in a corded accessory plug which has ring terminals on the wire ends. When I test the voltage at the wire ends of the accessory plug it also reads 12-14V, however when I connect any load to the terminals (phone charger, 12V trouble light) the voltage goes down: zero in the case of the trouble light and to 2V with the phone charger. I've tested the phone charger and the bulb with a spare 12V battery, and they both work fine off that, so I think it's something in the circuit.

Anyone any ideas?

Even if it tests good I'd replace the fuse. I've had fuses test okay but then heat up and disconnect when you put a load on them. If you've already replaced the fuse, I'd look for a bad connection or burned wire. The plug is only rated for 10 amps so it's easy to overload it (with a portable tire pump for example).
Old 11-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Problem fixed. It was the relay after all. I had discounted that because the radio, which was supposed to be on the same relay, was working OK. But after removing the console, etc., looking at the accessory outlet and its connections, and testing the resistance of the wiring between each point, I isolated the high resistance (120 ohms) to the relay which had dirty contacts. I had to order a new relay from the dealer. It came in today, installed it, and now the outlet works fine.

I think the radio, which is aftermarket and installed by the previous owner, must be wired to some other relay. Perhaps because of this issue. Anyway thanks for the reply, you were a great help.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:22 AM
THE STIG

Glad it was an easy fix!!
Old 11-04-2015, 02:57 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Problem fixed.

I think the radio, which is aftermarket and installed by the previous owner, must be wired to some other relay. .
Intersting. Many S owners, myself included, use a plug and play or specific adapter (Modfry) for a replacement head unit. Easy. You are using the same power source, really all the same wiring, speakers included, so you would think the same relay would be in use. This varies if you start adding amps, new speakers and base units.

Glad you found the problem.