Stereo equipment failure

Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Stereo equipment failure

Hi there.

I have a little situation that I need some guidance/clarification on.

Back in 2012 I got tired of distorting speakers and installed a pair of Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers on the car. Everything was fine until the beginning of last year driving season. I'm in Philly and the car spends winters in the garage. Anyway, the CD on the head unit gave up the ghost. Shortly thereafter, the left speaker quit. About a month later, so did the right one.

I figured t was the HU. You know, being old, stock unit and all.....

So I let it be for the winter, and this Spring I bought a Blaupunkt Brisbane 230, which I finally got around to installing this past weekend. Much to my surprise, it wasn't the stock head unit. It was the Polk speakers that had blown up. The left broke one of the wires to the fatter resistor. (Opening and closing door or poor QA/QC?) When it makes contact, it works. The right one, doesn't work, period. So I installed the stock speakers back. Polks are out of warranty, so I'm **** outta luck.

I am wondering a couple of things.

1. Should I have disconnected the tweeters when I installed the Polk, since they have built in tweeters or is it a plug and play install?

I am not really planning on installing any "extra stuff" such as amps, crossovers and the like. I want good sounding music but not a rolling disco...

2. If I decide to buy a new set of speakers (which I probably will since it is a 15 minute install for each side), is there a reason to not go with Polk? They are well known, quality stuff but my experience is not ..... pleasant?

I did my fair share of stereo install back in the day in my teen years and never had any problems. Take out the old, put in the new, off I went.... Don't know if I'm looking too much into it or what.....

PS. If anyone has any hints as to how to fix those Polk, I'd appreciate it. I've got soldering iron... I can solder the one with broken wire, but what do I test on the other one?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for any leads on this.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by PacmanS2000 View Post
Hi there.

I have a little situation that I need some guidance/clarification on.

Back in 2012 I got tired of distorting speakers and installed a pair of Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers on the car. Everything was fine until the beginning of last year driving season. I'm in Philly and the car spends winters in the garage. Anyway, the CD on the head unit gave up the ghost. Shortly thereafter, the left speaker quit. About a month later, so did the right one.

I figured t was the HU. You know, being old, stock unit and all.....

So I let it be for the winter, and this Spring I bought a Blaupunkt Brisbane 230, which I finally got around to installing this past weekend. Much to my surprise, it wasn't the stock head unit. It was the Polk speakers that had blown up. The left broke one of the wires to the fatter resistor. (Opening and closing door or poor QA/QC?) When it makes contact, it works. The right one, doesn't work, period. So I installed the stock speakers back. Polks are out of warranty, so I'm **** outta luck.

I am wondering a couple of things.

1. Should I have disconnected the tweeters when I installed the Polk, since they have built in tweeters or is it a plug and play install?

I am not really planning on installing any "extra stuff" such as amps, crossovers and the like. I want good sounding music but not a rolling disco...

2. If I decide to buy a new set of speakers (which I probably will since it is a 15 minute install for each side), is there a reason to not go with Polk? They are well known, quality stuff but my experience is not ..... pleasant?

I did my fair share of stereo install back in the day in my teen years and never had any problems. Take out the old, put in the new, off I went.... Don't know if I'm looking too much into it or what.....

PS. If anyone has any hints as to how to fix those Polk, I'd appreciate it. I've got soldering iron... I can solder the one with broken wire, but what do I test on the other one?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for any leads on this.

They're capacitors not resistors. I'd check the soldering on the one that doesn't work at all, there may be another loose wire. If you have a volt/ohm meter try checking the resistance at different places on the speaker to find the broken lead. If that's not it you could try replacing the capacitors - they should be less than $5.