Seat side bolster wear - S2000 Forums

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwaallyy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #1  

Seat side bolster wear

Wondering how the seat side bolsters on your S's are holding up. My 07's are perfect at this point although I have not yet hit 19k on the odo. I have gotten into the habit of sliding the seat full back when I get out each time and I use a leather conditioner weekly on the seats.

The reason I ask is that when I was car shopping I was amazed at how many NSX's I looked at had either torn side bolsters or replacements already in cars that only had 30-50K miles on them.

Charles
cdk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #2  
THE STIG

Mine are showing their age at 14 years old and 101K miles. No rips though, just some cracks.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #3  
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

At 31K, one owner, my driver bolster had a small repaired tear. Pax side was intact. I found that my method of installing my carcass in the car was putting pressure on the bolster. I changed how I entered: I sit down in the side sideways (90 degrees) and then swing my feet around into the car. I found I make no contact with the bolster and thus it has been in a state of suspended animation. I, like you, use conditioners. Not sure if that part of the seat is vinyl or leather.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #4  

Even if you have a bolster break-down, the repair is very easy. I did mine and it came out great. By using a more rigid and more resilient foam, it's now kept its form over the 5 years since I did it. BTW, the seat bottoms do interchange. You just swap the cushion from one side to the other.

After the rebuild in the garage, they almost looked like new.

L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #5  
EYECELLEM

^^That's what I was gonna say too. I swapped the front cushions/bolsters on my M3... even out the wear.
Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #6  

Good info Apex. I do the same thing Cos does except I also have the seat all the way back. Getting in is not a problem, gravity helps, but darn getting out is getting tougher as age takes over.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Getting in is not a problem, gravity helps, but darn getting out is getting tougher as age takes over.
I very much appreciate that. Being fairly fit, I'm in my 70's now and getting out is beginning to be a bitch.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I very much appreciate that. Being fairly fit, I'm in my 70's now and getting out is beginning to be a bitch.
I find myself doing what Cos does in reverse to get out, go 90 degrees to the seat, put the underside of my left forearm on the body just behind the door opening, then haul my carcass up and out. Then of course reach for the rag and wipe the body oil/sweat off the spot where my arm touched.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #9  
normal aspiration

somehow i manage to fit my big **** into the car without difficulty. getting out seems to stress my left knee a bit. got to stress something with all that mass. so far--so good. i am not fit and i don't fit. if i were smaller and fit, getting in and out would be like slipping into and out of a La-Z-Boy. sitting in the car is pretty comfortable.
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #10  

Hehehehe, yea BB I think the seats were made for a slightly smaller *** than mine.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #11  

Don't mind if I chip in too.Getting in and straight into the seat is no problem for me. As for getting out, I literally lift myself by pushing up with my left arm on the area where the nameplate is and hover my body over and out of the car without touching the bolsters. I don't think I have put much wear at all on the bolsters since I bought the car ^_^
S-nisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-nisen View Post
Don't mind if I chip in too.Getting in and straight into the seat is no problem for me. As for getting out, I literally lift myself by pushing up with my left arm on the area where the nameplate is and hover my body over and out of the car without touching the bolsters. I don't think I have put much wear at all on the bolsters since I bought the car ^_^
May have to try that method of getting out.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #13  
normal aspiration

if i could hover, getting in or out would not be a problem. hover. if i could push myself like S-nisen describes, my left arm would soon be as big as my right. whole lotta m-*** to move.
bbcricketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #14  

I still have the top up on mine after the wash last weekend. Went out for a cruise to the beach earlier and damn getting out with the top up is worse than with it down.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #15  

Is there replacement foam available for bottom seat bolster? Mine is flat. I can learn new entry / exit habits but I still need to fix what I broke
gbmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmiata View Post
Is there replacement foam available for bottom seat bolster? Mine is flat. I can learn new entry / exit habits but I still need to fix what I broke
Yes, there is a new bottom seat cushion pad available from Honda but it's not cheap ($250 before shipping) as you will see from the link below but the worst part is that it comes with exactly the same problem as you now have with unsatisfactory wear characteristics. That's why I rebuilt my seat cushion using a stronger foam shaped with a knife to repack by bolster and then covered it with cloth tape to keep its form.

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/auto-par...-cat/seat-scat
Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #17  
Never Slow down

I cringe when ever someone gets in and out of the passenger side. The seat is perfect and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #18  

I haven't tried using Eastwood's flexible leather spray paint but I've had several drivers tell me that it works decently to cover worn spots and significantly improves the look. I have a 2K S2000 with 99K miles and want to keep it looking good. It would be for my own peace of mind. The car is too much fun to sell. The car makes us look good, especially with the top down.
Gilwell98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #19  

Just a reminder about what paint you may use. The only leather portions of the seats are the center panels on the bottom and back. All the rest of the seat is vinyl.

The welting on my driver's seat had worn badly. In some places it was white and in others it was black/grey. This repair worked fairly well for me. I'm sure that I can improve the color at some future date.

After some testing with Duplicolor vinyl spray paints. I found a mix that was acceptable but not quite a match for the OEM tan. I put three timed sprays of Desert Sand color and two timed sprays of Medium Beige into a plastic mixing dish.

I masked off the welting and applied the vinyl paint with a sponge brush.

The end result was acceptable but not a true match.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #20  

S2000 Seat

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Used to live in IL. Life long Cubby fan too.
Gilwell98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilwell98 View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Used to live in IL. Life long Cubby fan too.
Although I've been here for 24 years, I'm a still a city kid from Boston and all that hangs in my replica sportswear is Bruins, Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox. Before my 6th birthday I had been to the Garden for Bruins and Celtics games and Fenway Park and Braves Field for baseball games.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #22  

Hey all..... I use this https://www.carcane.com/ to get up and out of BAE BAE. Saves on the wear and tear of the side bolster and my back.
(added bonus---matches my interior)
Periodoc likes this.

Last edited by wwaallyy; 11-12-2015 at 05:14 PM.
wwaallyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #23  

darn clever............
Old 11-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwaallyy View Post
Hey all..... I use this https://www.carcane.com/ to get up and out of BAE BAE. Saves on the wear and tear of the side bolster and my back.
(added bonus---matches my interior)
Well, I'll be damned. When you were riding in my passenger seat this fall, there was one of those right under your butt. I use it when my back is out.

Great minds think alike, Walter........
Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #25  

On an episode of Wheeler Dealers they were showing how to refurbish leather seats and it was really cool. They had seats out of a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 that were cracked and worn. The shop sanded them, used a filler cream of some sort and then sprayed on a new coat of dye of some kind. They came out great. Unfortunately, this was a specialty shop in Cali and there would be nowhere near me to get anything like that done. I'd like to get some minor side bolster work done on my red interior.
IA-SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote