Killing Noise

Old 03-29-2014, 04:02 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Killing Noise

I noticed Mr Batguano started a thread a year ago on sound deadening which quickly became hijacked by all manner of ruffians.
https://www.s2000.com/forums/off-top...y-in-here.html

Well, my last trip to the Bay Area convinced me I have a noise issue with the top up. I have been researching this topic and have decided upon a course of action. This has moved to the top of the to do list over the auto dimming mirror. I may go on a cross country drive in a few weeks so it would be nice. So here is my plan. Sort of.

I am going to put down a resonance barrier under the seats (crossbar aft) under the top tray, much of the trunk, and the doors. In addition I am putting down a sound barrier under the carpet and under the top tray. I plan on using B Quiet Ultimate for the resonance barrier. It is comparable to Dynamat Extreme, less expensive, and has no smell. For the sound barrier I would like to use 3M Thinsulate Acoustic mats but it is really hard to find the stuff. Its pretty much sold commercially and can be expensive for the giant rolls. (>$1000) Its what Acura uses for its insulation. Hydrophobic, compresses well.

The rub is getting the stuff. So, does anyone have any? Know were to get some?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 PM

I was thinking bout adding some noise suppression products to my non-s2000 daily driver and came across this site. It mentions the 3M product somewhere and looks like you can order non bulk quantities.

Looks like a small-time shop so be careful if/when ordering and if nothing else, it's a good read.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I have seen that before, has some good reference points in it.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Cos, what kind of noise are you talking about?? Is it tire, wind, engine??
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Cos, what kind of noise are you talking about?? Is it tire, wind, engine??
The noise I am talking about is a combination of noises that, for some reason at this point in time, became apparent to me when I put the top up on the road last week. I know it was triggered from reading up on noise and sound deadening threads on various S forums. I was paying attention. I realized it WAS difficult to talk and the radio was pretty damn loud when we felt like having it on. It did add some level of stress.

So, what am I talking about? I have a 2009. I really do not notice or mind the front half of the car. No tire noise, engine is quiet enough and I happen to like its sound revving up. The noise I find bothersome is road, tire, and exhaust noise coming from the floor and especially behind the seats. The doors seem to let noise through also. I have a stock exhaust and I do not have much of a "drone" per se. I have pulled the insulation and poked around and found there are some insulation blankets of mixed fiber under the top tray, but there is no resonance barrier (that is the thin but dense pad glued to a metal surface) and much of the bare metal resonates like a drum and seems to let all the noise of the tires and diff right through.

There seems to be a bit of noise coming from right behind the side window through the top but I do not see anyway to deaden that unless you have a hard top. All I have read seems to indicate big "bang for the buck" noise reduction with as little as 25-30% resonance barrier in the doors, floor, back, tray top and trunk. Additional barriers (that is what I want and the best seems to be the 3M Thinsulate acoustic barrier. The resonance barriers of choice seem to be Dynamat but B Quiet matches the performance of Dynamat at a lower price. Both do not appear to have a smell. (Extreme and Ultimate)

It just blows me away when I climb into my 20 year old Thunderbird and its so dang quite I can hear a paper rustle. I don't expect to have the same in the S, and of course top down: lets GO! Still when the weather or driving (interstate) demands top up, I would like to have it somewhat quitter.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 03-30-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
normal aspiration

i just don't know how quiet you mean to make your S2000. when you are tached up to 4000 she is going to make some noise. she was never built to suppress sound--that was not in the plan. i believe that you will find it difficult to block out those annoying decibels.

you do have to jack up the radio; you do have to talk loud; there is a level of stress; and it is tiring. do you have tinnitus? jet engines, model airplanes, guns, tractors, chain saws, lawn mowers, concerts--if you are involved in any of the preceding, you may be vulnerable. if you have tinnitus, the noise is welcome to mask the internal infernal ringing. talk about stress.

you mention top down: let's GO! the top is just a thin sheet of vinyl. you wouldn't think it would block out a lot of sound.

you could always get one of them moose-stangs or kay-mare-e-ohs in the hardtop version. lots of V8 hoss-power and i understand that some of them handle quite well. you would have to let go of your S, of course. everything in life and economics and cars is a trade-off; it's all about utility--something for something else. find what you want. be happy!

my other cars are like your Bird: fairly quiet and comfortable, even my '94 C1500. the S2000 is just not a highway cruiser lounge car. it is truly a high-performance sports car. and sports cars are supposed to be loud.

btw fyi: that is not mr.batguano. that is colonel batguano.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 03-30-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: polishing my oak leaves
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
When you are tached up to 4000 she is going to make some noise. she was never built to suppress sound--that was not in the plan.
As I mentioned I like the sound of revving up. In 6th gear on the freeway, its different.
do you have tinnitus? jet engines, model airplanes, guns, tractors, chain saws, lawn mowers, concerts--if you are involved in any of the preceding, you may be vulnerable.
Yes I do have bilateral tinnitus and was unable to get any VA disability. You forgot to mention bombs and other high explosives.
if you have tinnitus, the noise is welcome to mask the internal infernal ringing. talk about stress.
I find I just tune it out; compartmentalize.

you could always get one of them moose-stangs or kay-mare-e-ohs in the hardtop version. lots of V8 hoss-power and i understand that some of them handle quite well. you would have to let go of your S, of course. everything in life and economics and cars is a trade-off; be happy!

The Tibrd IS a 4.6 V-8. Handles great for a 20 year old car. RWD.
S is here to stay in the stable. No trade off for me; I want to see if I can get it all!!
I tend to be a pretty positive person. I would have to say I am happy most of the time. Always content. Always grateful to the Almighty for everything.

my other cars are like your Bird: fairly quiet and comfortable, even my '94 C1500. the S2000 is just not a highway cruiser lounge car. it is truly a high-performance sports car. and sports cars are supposed to be loud.
True, but what about when cruising?

btw fyi: that is not mr.batguano. that is colonel batguano.
Active? Marine?

Last edited by cosmomiller; 03-30-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 PM
normal aspiration

ah, the tinnitus. it is always there. for the most part i can just tune it out, but if i start thinking about it. uh-oh. it is pretty cool when it starts changing tone and volume.

i like quiet cars. i love the S. my old truck is so smooth and quiet on the highway. it is a great cruiser but quite the tank. my '99 v6 camry is a great road car. certainly underpowered by todays standards but plenty fast enough if you are not racing. quiet as a mouse at 100. handles well too, if that can be said of a front-wheel drive sedan.

i don't know what to tell you about the noisy little honda. it do snarl and growl--the wind whips--and the tires thrum.

colonel batguano is a nice gentleman from gritsburg, nc that used to frequent S2000.coma. he and jj got pissed at the crew once and left the scene for a while. don't hear too much from the colonel these days. the original reference is from dr.strangelove.

i wrote the col. a birthday poem several years ago. it is somewhere on this forum, stashed in the archives.

happy birthday colonel,
we wish you would come back.
the site is just not the same,
since we lost both you and jack.

happy birthday guano,
we're missing you a lot.
forgive, forget, come back to us,
your temper's way too hot.

happy birthday lee-bat,
stop this useless pout.
there can't be all that much to do
in grittsburg / rocky mount.

happy birthday colonel,
we await: your cool return;
and your wit and wisdom.
there are young asses yet to burn.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:04 PM
mlc

Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

ah, the tinnitus it is pretty cool when it starts changing tone and volume.

I thought that only happened to me.

he and jj got pissed at the crew once and left the scene for a while. don't hear too much from the colonel these days. the original reference is from dr.strangelove.

i wrote the col. a birthday poem several years ago. it is somewhere on this forum, stashed in the archives.

2007 berlina black
Passed it on
Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by mlc View Post
Thanks, I have seen that. It should work but its way more than I need.

I am looking at another site which is great for all kinds of stuff:
http://www.mcmaster.com
Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Okay boys and girls, I have started the killing noise project. I ordered 50' of B Quiet Ultimate for the resonance barrier. It was less than Dynamat but actually ever so slightly better across the temp/db level reduction. Its a quality butyl with suspended (means no smell) asphalt for mass with aluminum backing. It was easy to cut and apply. I had a roller but did not use it. It was 70 degrees here in Sacramento. You only need to apply 25-35% coverage to be effective. You can see I did not go nuts in covering every inch as some other posters have done. The bang for the buck comes from the acoustic insulation.

From my research, it became apparent 3M makes the best material: Thinsulate. It is effective, lightweight, hydrophobic, cannot mold or mildew, compresses easily, and is easy to install. Problem? Its not sold to the public. Hard to find. $$$.

I emailed 3M and wound up communicating with the guy who services Honda! He determined I was not a competitor and just a guy doing a DIY on a Honda S. He sent me a big box with 3 varieties of Thinsulate for nothing; the quid pro quo is I send a nice letter to him (to Honda) demonstrating the install and how great Thinsulate is. He was very generous as you can see with my lab guarding the box.

I only had an afternoon to do some of the soundproofing as I am heading out on a 9 day trip up the coast to Oregon and Washington. I did the trunk and under top tray area.

I pulled out the liners and what little insulation Honda had. I used that as templates. I put down the B Quiet and then a variety of Thinsulate. When you cut it with scissors the edges can weld together for a finished look or pull it apart for a fluffy edge. Better performance from open edges. What you see took about 3 hours. Have not driven it to see what the difference is.
Name:  IMG_1309.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1312.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  71.5 KBName:  IMG_1313.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1314.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  68.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1317.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1321.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1328.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1333-1.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1324.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1322.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  77.0 KB

Last edited by cosmomiller; 04-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 AM
THE STIG

Looking foward to hear the results.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post

looks like NASA prepping a vehicle for launch.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Nice, neat job, surprising for a former Squid, LOL. Looking forward to the report.

BTW, to BB: nice poem............
Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM

I think you will notice quite a difference! Nice job.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Looking foward to hear the results.
whole idea is not to hear anything.

Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Nice, neat job, surprising for a former Squid, LOL. Looking forward to the report.

BTW, to BB: nice poem............
i am the site poet laureate. there is an ode i wrote to jj on here somewhere about his flight helmet he used to wear in the winter time. i will try to resurrect it. thanks for the compliment. a true artiste does not strive for fame.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
THE STIG

whole idea is not to hear anything.

Pun was intended BB.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Pun was intended BB.
pun was intended shwitch!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
normal aspiration