Replacing the Tachometer and Speedometer?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 AM

Replacing the Tachometer and Speedometer?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. I'm in the market for a new car and am absolutely in love with the Honda S2000. The only thing I am not a fan of is the tach and speedometer area. I actually dislike it quite a bit, to be honest. I'm more of an analog guy, I guess.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the tach and the speedometer with an aftermarket analog version? I've looked online a bit, but I haven't found anything other than professional race cars with set-ups different than the stock dash.

I park outside quite often, so I'm uncomfortable placing these new gauges up like a boost meter (I don't like flaunting things and that's asking to get your car broken into), I want them to be in the standard location but am unsure of how the dash is assembled and whether or not this would be a straight-forward project. I'm not even sure if the connections would be the same for a digital readout versus an analog.

To put this project in context, I'm in between the Subaru BRZ and the Honda S2000. Because of the massive price difference in car cost, I wouldn't mind putting a bit of money into this project. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done it.

Thanks,
Coop
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm new here. I'm in the market for a new car and am absolutely in love with the Honda S2000. The only thing I am not a fan of is the tach and speedometer area. I actually dislike it quite a bit, to be honest. I'm more of an analog guy, I guess.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the tach and the speedometer with an aftermarket analog version? I've looked online a bit, but I haven't found anything other than professional race cars with set-ups different than the stock dash.

I park outside quite often, so I'm uncomfortable placing these new gauges up like a boost meter (I don't like flaunting things and that's asking to get your car broken into), I want them to be in the standard location but am unsure of how the dash is assembled and whether or not this would be a straight-forward project. I'm not even sure if the connections would be the same for a digital readout versus an analog.

To put this project in context, I'm in between the Subaru BRZ and the Honda S2000. Because of the massive price difference in car cost, I wouldn't mind putting a bit of money into this project. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done it.

Thanks,
Coop
I think it has been done but honestly its not the right car for you if you are worrying about gauges.

http://s2k4.me/smf/index.php?topic=289.0

Looks like you could make an RSX cluster work if you wanted to do a lot of work to have what every other car on the road has. Or you could spend your time and money driving the wheels off it.

Last edited by Marioshi; 06-28-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
normal aspiration

miata might be a better fit for you.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
official newb

I'm not a fan of the cluster either but there is something i dont like with just about every car (with cars I can afford). Learn to live with it or get another car.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
I think it has been done but honestly its not the right car for you if you are worrying about gauges.

http://s2k4.me/smf/index.php?topic=289.0

Looks like you could make an RSX cluster work if you wanted to do a lot of work to have what every other car on the road has. Or you could spend your time and money driving the wheels off it.
Thanks for the link, buddy.

I enjoy modifying my items to be exactly how I want them. I'd modify something in any car I'd buy. I won't let the tach prevent me from buying a car.

Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post
miata might be a better fit for you.
Not a fan of the Miata. The tach may be more appealing, but I'd prefer to buy the car for the feel and then modify the aesthetics - I don't trust myself with the drive train.

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
I'm not a fan of the cluster either but there is something i dont like with just about every car (with cars I can afford). Learn to live with it or get another car.
Or modify it to be exactly how you want it
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Bug Zapper

Thanks for the link, buddy.

I enjoy modifying my items to be exactly how I want them. I'd modify something in any car I'd buy. I won't let the tach prevent me from buying a car.

Not a fan of the Miata. The tach may be more appealing, but I'd prefer to buy the car for the feel and then modify the aesthetics - I don't trust myself with the drive train.

Or modify it to be exactly how you want it

You are missing the point. The s2000 is a drivers car. The more time you waste tinkering with this BS the less time you have to enjoy driving it. You wanna fuss it, go ahead, but it makes me think you dont understand this car at all.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM

You are missing the point. The s2000 is a drivers car. The more time you waste tinkering with this BS the less time you have to enjoy driving it. You wanna fuss it, go ahead, but it makes me think you dont understand this car at all.
Jeez, you seem a little hostile. I figured the people on an internet forum would understand vehicle modifications. It's fun for some of us to modify our cars.

Overall ergonomics and readability of the gauges is quite important when driving the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Bug Zapper

Jeez, you seem a little hostile. I figured the people on an internet forum would understand vehicle modifications. It's fun for some of us to modify our cars.

Overall ergonomics and readability of the gauges is quite important when driving the car.
First off, no they are not. When you are driving the car it was made to be driven, you are not looking at gauges. You listen and feel for shift points.

Secondly, what does "ergonomics" have to do with analog vs digital? You already said you dont want to move the gauges so the ergonomics would be the same.

Lastly, the gauges were designed specifically for "readability". It has a giant digital speedometor thats easy to see from your peripheral vision and a bright orange ANALOG tach that takes up most of the cluster and flashes when you reach redline.

Its clear to me that you have spent zero seat time in this car if you first and only question is "can I change out the cluster". Go drive the car and come back if you still have concerns about the cluster (I have a feeling you wont).

Im not hostile, I am just helping you decide if this is the car for you.

I understand modifying cars, I have a WRX with several mods. The s2000 isnt worth modifying because it was designed from the ground up as a sports car. The dash is a reference to its racecar like design philosphy.

Last edited by Marioshi; 06-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM
normal aspiration

gotta go with mario.

i wasn't crazy about the digital set up when i first got bb. figured i'd just live with it and get analog in something else sometime. still would like to have something with an analog setup. guess it will be an analog car.

point of the matter is that the big orange speedo is great. and, the tack arcing up to the flashing limiter is an easy read. and, you can read both at the same time in a flash, which is what you need in this car, cause just as soon as you shift, you needs to shifts again; if you are watchin' the tack. or not. analog would be kinda weird in an S because the S2000 is a digital car.

now as to the miata. miata is a fine automobile. these last models are very nice. they have beautiful analog gauges. and you get an oil pressure gauge. i don't care for white faces but this still looks good. i was just trying to suggest something that you would like, that you thought was important. changing the gauges in the S2000 = exercise in futility.

Last edited by bbcricketta; 06-28-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: maybe you could swap the miata gauge cluster into your S, if you ever get one?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM

1) First off, no they are not. When you are driving the car it was made to be driven, you are not looking at gauges. You listen and feel for shift points.

2) Secondly, what does "ergonomics" have to do with analog vs digital? You already said you dont want to move the gauges so the ergonomics would be the same.

3) Lastly, the gauges were designed specifically for "readability". It has a giant digital speedometor thats easy to see from your peripheral vision and a bright orange ANALOG tach that takes up most of the cluster and flashes when you reach redline.

4) Its clear to me that you have spent zero seat time in this car if you first and only question is "can I change out the cluster". Go drive the car and come back if you still have concerns about the cluster (I have a feeling you wont).

5) Im not hostile, I am just helping you decide if this is the car for you.

6) I understand modifying cars, I have a WRX with several mods. The s2000 isnt worth modifying because it was designed from the ground up as a sports car. The dash is a reference to its racecar like design philosphy.
1) Reading and using the instruments inside the vehicle is part of the vehicle's experience but not necessarily directly related to how well it drives. If gauges weren't meant to be used, they wouldn't be in cars.

2) I was referring to ergonomics as a separately category that doesn't directly affect how the car handles, but how it feels to operate.

3) I prefer analog, as I stated. It doesn't affect ergonomics, I just prefer it.

4) I have driven a friend's S2000 quite a bit, actually. This is the first question I've publicly asked because it was one of the questions I couldn't find information about. I've had many other modification questions, but this forum and a few others have had the answers in their archives.

5) It seems like you just told me to go find another car because I wanted to change out the cluster. As stated in the original post, I like everything else in the S2000 - this is about the only thing I'd change in it.

6) That's your opinion. I'd much prefer an analog read-out and it is worth modifying to me. I didn't expect this to be a popular modification, I was just hoping that someone saw it somewhere. Thank you for the link by the way.

The link in the second post answered all of my questions. Thank you for your help, guys.

- Coop

EDIT to bbcricketta (posted while I was typing): I agree that replacing the cluster with analog would be a bit of work, but I was just curious to get information on the swap. I definitely understand why people like it, it's a pretty neat set up. I just don't personally find it appealing.

Changing the cluster isn't a huge deal to me, it wouldn't prevent me from buying the car or anything. I was just wondering how difficult it would be. I think my tone may have come off a bit like "I need a pretty tach, if I can't have one I'll go buy another car" which isn't how I feel at all, lol.

Last edited by Coop; 06-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Oddly enough, I couldn't find anything I disagreed with in the above. Well, other than not being a fan of the Miata, but that's a subjective things so that doesn't count.

If you can do what you want to do without butchering the car, have at it. We don't have to like it; only you do.

You know... I think it was his approach. He didn't walk in here like a 15 year old with an attitude demanding people give him info on how to fix/hack/chew-up/spit-out his car. I may not want to do that mod myself, but I can appreciate his approach in how he inquired.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Bug Zapper

Yeah but you know we gotta ruffle him up for being a newb. I would say he held his own.

Hey if you do get an s2000 and you do this mod, make sure you post it up so we can see it.

Welcome to the site.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
...other than not being a fan of the Miata...
but i thought you were a miata jockey at one time in your life. soured on it?

miata is ok. it is a lot like having a fat girl friend. it is a lot of fun to ride but you don't want your friend to see you with her.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
THE STIG

miata is ok. it is a lot like having a fat girl friend. it is a lot of fun to ride but you don't want your friend to see you with her.
LOL!!!! This, sir, is awesome!!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM

...miata.... soured on it?
No. You didn't read what I wrote correctly. I said I didn't disagree with the guy... other than the part about not liking the Miata. I happen to like Miatas, but I said that is a subjective thing so I can't find anything wrong with his commentary.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM

MIATA
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
normal aspiration

No. You didn't read what I wrote correctly. I said I didn't disagree with the guy... other than the part about not liking the Miata. I happen to like Miatas, but I said that is a subjective thing so I can't find anything wrong with his commentary.
i see. i thought you were a previous owner. i was just confused. nothing wrong with an MX-5; and it has a very nice dash layout.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM

i see. i thought you were a previous owner. i was just confused. nothing wrong with an MX-5; and it has a very nice dash layout.
You seriously need to get your reading glasses checked Beebs. I did own two Miatas. I did NOT sour on them. I said I couldn't find anything wrong with what the OP said OTHER than the bit about not liking the Miatas, but that part doesn't count since liking something is subjective.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Oz S2K

but i thought you were a miata jockey at one time in your life. soured on it?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
normal aspiration

You seriously need to get your reading glasses checked Beebs. I did own two Miatas. I did NOT sour on them. I said I couldn't find anything wrong with what the OP said OTHER than the bit about not liking the Miatas, but that part doesn't count since liking something is subjective.

i freakin' get it roseann, i freakin' get it. myeyes is jus' fine. i was just confused. i understand. i understand objective and subjective; disliking yugos is objective, isn't it, since it stands alone as a pos? although it is subject to your opinion; but if you like yugos, your subjective opinion would be freakin' wrong. i get that you like miatas. i got no problem with it. i misunderstood. am i clear now?

how 'bout repost your checker flag bathin' suit back from when you was a young thang. beats anything i can come up with.

it is 106 here. humidity is only 10%. it's a dry heat.

love

beeb
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM

am i clear now?
Everclear. You gotta lay off the stuff comin' out of the still, beebs.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
normal aspiration

how 'bout repost your checker flag bathin' suit back from when you was a young thang. beats anything i can come up with.

love

beeb
everclear is good stuff if you is making hunch punch. whoo needs roofies?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

^^ Since you have asked twice now, I guess I need to answer. No. I don't like to repost. And there really is no reason to refer to it again. I had a reason to post the first time. Now it would just be gratuitous as well as repetitious.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 PM

Never, never ask about modifying the dash!

I am about to take the plunge, and the only thing I find objectionable about the car is the dash. I have had 280ZX's with all that digital stuff, and never liked it. It 'is a shame Honda decided to do a 'retro-techno' dash, and the Corvette did the same thing. But in the case of the S2000, it was meant to be a true sports car from the get-go. Why do this to an otherwise outstanding car?[/CENTER]
Old 06-27-2016, 05:11 AM

Even though I don't have my S anymore I can honestly say it was the single thing I absolutely loathed about the car. My eyes are pretty sun sensitive so I always drive with sun glasses on and that made it impossible to read the info box on the instrument cluster. Luckily all my Z's were the 280's with real gauges.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:05 PM
EYECELLEM

The cluster is supposed to mimic the instruments from a F1 race car. I thought it was great for the S, maybe not so for another car.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:11 AM
THE STIG