Sub inclosure and amp rack

Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Sub inclosure and amp rack

I know this has probably been done a million times, but I'm proud and wanted to show it off as well as give the community an inexpensive option!

I bought the enclosure from SRQ designs (via eBay $100)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380119255987...#ht_5334wt_975

I made the amp rack myself. It holds an Audio Control LC2i line converter and the Polk Audio amp

I highly recommend the sub box! It is made very well and for the money is tough to beat! It fit perfectly and the carpet is a heck of a lot closer than any I could find! (as you can tell from the amp rack)

Hope it helps!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Master Debater

looks good!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 AM
THE STIG

Nice!!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM

How's the interior sound?
I'm kind of curious since i'm not looking for tons of bass, but more just something to add depth to my music.
I've been looking at under seat soloutions since i don't want to lose trunk space if at all possible.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by CLOS View Post
How's the interior sound?
I'm kind of curious since i'm not looking for tons of bass, but more just something to add depth to my music.
I've been looking at under seat soloutions since i don't want to lose trunk space if at all possible.

Sounds pretty damn good!

What you seem to be looking for is exactly what I was looking for! (and found!)

At lower speeds the bass really fills out the sound of the component mid and highs, but as usual at freeway speed (65+) it gets a little lost and i need to turn the volume up.

I have found that I will need some bass blockers for the component speakers because I am using an amp in tri-mode so when I crank the stereo the amp starts to distort the mids. (easy fix)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Bug Zapper

Are the spare tire tools still in there?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Is the same one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-S2000-...#ht_3702wt_802

Was waiting to purchase one of these on eBay. Just wasn't sure of the quality. It's $72 shipped. Pretty good deal.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Same company, but different box.

I went with the more expensive box because it has a grill for the sub so you can still use the trunk without "stuff" damaging the sub.

If you don't care about the sub being exposed to possible damage I'm sure the quality is just as good on this version!

Buy with confidence these guys make good stuff!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
Are the spare tire tools still in there?
No, it uses the entire space....

Since I have removed the spare for the amp rack I figured I did not need the tools. (I'm keeping the tools and spare just no need to carrying them with me)

AAA to the rescue!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by DARABBIT View Post
No, it uses the entire space....

Since I have removed the spare for the amp rack I figured I did not need the tools. (I'm keeping the tools and spare just no need to carrying them with me)

AAA to the rescue!
Sound about right. I just looked again and noticed the amp thing.

Yep, doesnt make a lot of sense to carry around tools but no spare .

Can o fix-a-flat anyone?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I know this has probably been done a million times, but I'm proud and wanted to show it off as well as give the community an inexpensive option!
Looks very similar to the Stealthbox sub enclosure. The next time I'm in Richmond, we'll get together and I'll show you my setup with the Alpine and the Stealthbox. The Stealthbox is a sealed enclosure system which gives pretty decent bass. I sold my 600w mono amp (a 1kw mono is on the horizon) so I'm only driving it with 250w at the moment but it's still delivering decent bass.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM

kgf: I looked at those and liked them better, but didn't want to spend the $600.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Party Rock Crew

Sound about right. I just looked again and noticed the amp thing.

Yep, doesnt make a lot of sense to carry around tools but no spare .

Can o fix-a-flat anyone?

AAA FTW!

Install looks good. Wish I could do one...cant give up the space.

Last edited by starrman; 04-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM

I feel like I can't even give up that space. It's come in handy a lot. I'm also looking into getting something made like a "spare tire delete" or so. I don't like that even if you don't have the tire in there, you still have that lump. :/
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
Wish I could do one...cant give up the space.
Man, you guys living out of your S or what!?!?! Ha ha ha ha
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Bug Zapper

Its the only spot deep enough for most suitcases.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Its the only spot deep enough for most suitcases.
Or a case of wine.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM

So I've been looking into a CRV subwoofer to put under the seat. I think it might work depending on the dimensions. I think it's slim enough though.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
official newb

Nice find and nice install.

I have been debating wether or not to put sound in the s, I have a critical mass ul12 sitting in my bedroom begging me to do something and it is (in my opinion) the best subwoofer for the s. why?? Well it can handle 2500 watts of clean power (you need power to overcome the road noise at highway speeds), works well in small sealed enclosures (no explanation needed for this one), and best of all it weighs in at just a touch over 16 lbs oh and it is also held in very high regard for its sound quality.
Sooner or later I may go for it.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM

looks nice
Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

That looks fantastic!

Stinks you lose access to the jack and spare tire etc.

It's amazing how much bass is able to come through, through the seat backs (i.e. over the gas tank and through the spare tire well) and still sound awesome. How is it with the top down?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

How did you make the amp rack?
Did you use the extra stuff from the tools for the spare?
Cuz I want to use the spare tire space for my two amps
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM

I have the same concerns with the loss of space but it's because I do 5-7 day road trips every year and it's hard to fit two peoples stuff in the trunk of the S2000 as it is.

Originally Posted by w00tw00t111 View Post
That looks fantastic!

Stinks you lose access to the jack and spare tire etc.

It's amazing how much bass is able to come through, through the seat backs (i.e. over the gas tank and through the spare tire well) and still sound awesome. How is it with the top down?
I have in three summers and 57,000km never touched the tools and have never had a spare tire. The way I look at it is if you had a big brake kit the spare wouldn't fit anyway.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Got a question to get some opinions on. Just got my S2000 and was wanting to add a sub into the well. Ive seen boxes built for it and everything but I was wanting to approach it another way. Would I be alright by fiberglassing the bottom and then building a top panel to mount the sub to and fiberglassing it in as well and making a permanent enclosure. I have no plans of ever carrying anything back there and was wondering. If anyonecan help please do so and it would be much appreciated. Also I do plan on building a cover panel with a screen in it to cover the sub.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:18 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by hanhkustomz View Post
Got a question to get some opinions on. Just got my S2000 and was wanting to add a sub into the well. Ive seen boxes built for it and everything but I was wanting to approach it another way. Would I be alright by fiberglassing the bottom and then building a top panel to mount the sub to and fiberglassing it in as well and making a permanent enclosure. I have no plans of ever carrying anything back there and was wondering. If anyonecan help please do so and it would be much appreciated. Also I do plan on building a cover panel with a screen in it to cover the sub.
It's your car, you can certainly do that if you wish. The only thing you might want to consider is that one day you might want to sell the car and you'd have no way to remove the sub. While you may think it adds a lot to the car, someone else may think not. That's why people use sealed, custom enclosures. They can be removed.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Being as there is so little storage space as it is, I would certainly not make a permanent installation, especially fiberglass. Acoustically it isn't going to do anything and it is pretty messy stuff to work with. If you wanted it to be clean looking after the install you would have to remove the carpet.
2much work + messed up carpet = buy one that is acoustically sound and can be moved
I really appreciate the recessed part of the trunk. I found a suitcase that fits into it perfectly. Two of us lived out of the trunk for over two weeks last summer no problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by hanhkustomz View Post
If you tape off all areas that you plan to glass, you can paint turtle wax over the tape and be able to remove the enclosure after glassing the top into the bottom. You have to make sure it's air tight. I've made several stealth enclosures in my Camaro' s and my Jeep. The problem is getting enough air volume for the sub to work well. You are also limited in the size sub you can squeeze in that hole.

There is so much noise in my car that I don't think it's worth the effort without proper amplification of the woofers and teeters inside the cabin. Unless I wanted to use the whole trunk I wouldn't do it.

The S is a poor music environment. I personal prefer the sound of wind.

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 12-31-2013 at 08:35 PM.