Switched Source

Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Party Rock Crew

Switched Source

I am installing 2 gauges and a pump for my FMIC, I found one switched source in the under-dash fuse box, the two identical terminals above I thought were switched sources, but apparently not. One was constant power and the other did not give me anything? I am an electrical idiot and probably should not be attempting this, but hey what better way to learn. Can anyone give me some direction on where to hook up the other two leads? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Get a continuity tester for a couple of bucks. Clip one end to the wire in question and touch the other to ground. If it lights up the wire is hot. Touch the other end to the dead wire to see if it is a ground.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Party Rock Crew

I found one switched source, but not sure how to hook 3 things to the one terminal? I was also told I would need to fuse all 3 devices...pump and 2 gauges.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
I found one switched source, but not sure how to hook 3 things to the one terminal? I was also told I would need to fuse all 3 devices...pump and 2 gauges.
Did any kind of schematic come with the device? I'm not familiar with it but it should be simple. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Party Rock Crew

They just tell you to hook the red wire to a switched source. Since I know for sure that one of the terminals is a switched source, I am going to hook a relay into that and then hook all 3 into the relay.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Member, Literally

I'm shooting in the dark here but...

If there is only one red wire, that would connect to the hot source. Black or white would usually be ground wires. Unless it calls for a relay I don't see the purpose of installing one.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Party Rock Crew

Since there is only one switched source in the underdash fuse block, I was going to hook all 3 devices into that one source via a relay????
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Member, Literally

By "switched source" I assume they mean, connected to the ignition switch. A relay would seem to be redundant. Relays are usually used when you need to draw more power than the switch can provide, with the secondary circuit hooked to the battery using larger gauge(smaller number) wires.

Try hooking up the red wire, turn on the ignition and then checking to see if the other wires become hot.
You might also try Googling the maker and look for an on line manual or instructions. They may have a customer help desk.

Last edited by philiam; 07-13-2011 at 03:27 PM.