OEM Head Unit with amplifier

Old 06-04-2011, 05:27 AM

OEM Head Unit with amplifier

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there is as OCD as me and has kept the OEM Head Unit but installed an amp, upgraded speakers, and a sub.

I really want to keep the stock HU, trying to keep my rig as "stock" as possible, and would like some suggestions on what line out converter to use. If anyone has done this I'd love to know how the sound turned out.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Alpine makes a inline amp but I don't know if it would work with the stock HU.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 AM

I was of the exact school of thought as you... but between integrating my ipod and getting the sound I wanted I bit the bullet and changed it. Worth it. If you are dead set on keeping the oem head unit you really need to consider a signal processor like an Audison Bit One, JL Cleansweep, or Rockford 360. That will give you the correct outputs to maximize an amp.... But if you wana go nuts and do it right... check out what I did.... http://gallery.soundconcept.com/2011...-system-build/
Old 06-04-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm like you in that I wanted to keep my HU. I upgraded the speakers and added an ipod interface(USAspec PA-11HON) that controls the ipod via the CD shuttle controls. I'm pretty happy with the results. It was cheap and easy and the sound is improved and now 'acceptable', but I have a permanent hardtop so I don't need high volume. If you are driving topless and want to hear your music I want argue that a simple speaker upgrade is not going to cut it.

It will be interesting to hear if there are others out there that upgraded the factory HU to the level you are considering.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 AM

slostwok: Thanks, you are completely correct! The signal will need to be "cleaned" up and I was looking at the JL audio clean sweep. I really want to keep the stock head unit, even though I know that upgrading the HU would provide the "easier" option (and cleaner sound) I just have to see what I can do to keep the OEM HU. DAMN OCD!!!

Ryan: Yeah, I got a smoking deal on the OEM iPod link off ebay. ($35 new and the guy still has a bunch) I am from the top always down school so I do need some extra punch from new speakers and an amp.

Last edited by DARABBIT; 06-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM

slostwok: I checked out your install..nice work! You have yourself a CLEAN install!

The door speaker spacers turned out AWESOME! You didn't happen to make a "template?"

Also how did you end up securing your "amp-rack?" Did you just use L-brackets or are they pressure fit? I plan on doing the same set up with the amp on the passenger wall and the signal processor on the driver side.

I've already ordered Focal 165 KR2s, Kenwood XR-4S amp, and I have a Rockford Punch 10" from an old install. Now I just have to decide on a signal processor.

I will definitely post some pics and a "review" when I'm done!

Last edited by DARABBIT; 06-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

The "template" is an outline of the oem speaker assembly.... simple enough... the panels are l bracketed from the inside... there wouldnt be enough pressure to hold them being mounted with the driving
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM

slostwok: I finally started the install and took the door panels apart and answered the spacer question myself, but thanks for the heads up!

I guess I was thinking of some installs I've seen with the amp racks inserted in corners like that which were actually "pressure" mounted with "ultra-strong" velcro around the edges which held like you wouldn't believe. Did you just screw the "L brackets" through the sheet metal? I just hate drilling if I can help it.

I'm 90% sure I'm gonna mount the amp to an MDF panel over/in the spare.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 AM

2 screws on each side, as minimal as possible