Using oem xm antenna with aftermarket hu

Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Using oem xm antenna with aftermarket hu

New to the forum, guys. Also will be getting my 2008 s2000 in a couple of weeks!! I looked for an answer to this, but couldn't find one. Sorry if this has been covered..... if I already have the trunk mounted oem antenna installed, and I decide to put in a new, aftermarket head unit, that's not a problem is it?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Master Debater

welcome to the site! when you get it post pics on here immediately!

I believe if you replace your head unit and you want to keep satellite radio, you are going to need to replace your head unit with one that is satellite ready. If you don't your just going to have an antenna on your trunk. Its not going to be a problem it just not going to be in use.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely post pics, but it probably won't stand out - it's just your garden variety silver/black. It does have the hard top though...

As for the radio, I definitely intend to keep XM radio no matter what. I just want to be sure that the trunk oem antenna will be compatible with an aftermarket head unit. If it won't be, I don't want to drill the hole in the trunk lid just to have it turn out to be useless later.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:10 AM

The OEM XM radio is mounted in the trunk, so you would need an extension to get the antenna signal from the trunk to the new head unit or get a head unit that is compatable with the existing XM unit.

http://www.jayhondaaccessories.com/A...0/xm_radio.pdf
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Silver2k View Post
New to the forum, guys. Also will be getting my 2008 s2000 in a couple of weeks!! I looked for an answer to this, but couldn't find one. Sorry if this has been covered..... if I already have the trunk mounted oem antenna installed, and I decide to put in a new, aftermarket head unit, that's not a problem is it?
The antenna might be compatible but it depends on how the antenna matching was done in the OEM Radio. I have no idea because the first thing I've done in both of my S2k's was to replace that rather rickety HU with a new one. I'd suggest you check with a body shop to see how much it would cost to fix the hole in the trunk lid and purchase a HU that has XM or Sirius capability.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 AM

I was happy with keeping the headunit and upgrading the speakers. Once you see the speakers, you'll know why that makes a big difference.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 AM

I've decided to hold off on drilling a hole in my trunk lid for the oem antenna until I talk with the local top notch car radio installer. I'm looking at an Alpine CDA 117, and new speakers. Should be able to put the xm antenna on the dash or something and not drill.