DRL replacements

Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM

DRL replacements

Hi everyone, I have an 06 S2K and was wondering what the best parking light bulbs (size, brand, etc.) are for the headlights that will match the stock white HIDs? White lights (I believe) make the car look a 100 times better. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hi everyone, I have an 06 S2K and was wondering what the best parking light bulbs (size, brand, etc.) are for the headlights that will match the stock white HIDs? White lights (I believe) make the car look a 100 times better. Thanks!
You looking for the best high beam bulbs, which are used for the DRLs, or for eliminating the yellow lenses in the lights?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I'm looking for the actual bulbs which I guess are the high beam bulbs. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM

The Osram Night Breaker Plus H1 changed the color of my DRLs and my highbeams from a yellowish white to a crisp white that matches the HID Projector low beams.

This is a repost of one I made in another thread:

After doing a lot of research on H1 bulbs this is what I've found.

I ruled out actual 100 watt bulbs as they run hotter and you risk melting parts of your car.

The best value bulb high performance bulb is the Philips X-treme Power H1 bulb. This is a 55 watt bulb, but, is not currently marketed in the U.S. they run about $25 a bulb and are available here:
http://store.candlepower.com/phxtpobuhe.html

A close second and the bulb I actually purchased is the Osram Night Breaker Plus H1. Again this is a 55 watt European bulb not marketed in the U.S.. Osram's U.S. brand is Sylvania. It is also about $25 a bulb and is also available at http://store.candlepower.com/bconibr90ulh1.html.

PIAA bulbs are similar in performance, but, are substantually more expensive.

Here are some (but, not all) of the resources I used:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2151068
http://www.preludeonline.com/f60/phi...non-h1s-99500/
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...68&postcount=2

Last edited by TTMartin; 01-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks Martin, I really appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Does it matter which way the bulbs go into the bulb holder? I know they go into the headlight a specific way but I'm asking about the wire connection, does polarity matter there?

I ask because I've tried HELLAS and PIAA H1 bulbs and they work, but they are still not giving me that crisp white too match the HIDs. What is going on!?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM

There is a system that you can wire to have your headlights as your DRLS eliminating those yellow DRLS
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks Neil but I'd like to keep the DRL if I can and avoid over using the HIDs if it harms or shortens the life of them...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Pends on much you drive her Max, but I get what you mean

There are bulbs to brighten the drls, Canadian law requires them.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM

I drive about 2 hours a day. I don't care so much for the brightness as I do the color, haha. Maybe a little ocd on my part, but white lights make a big different in appearance…to me at least.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
SCCA Club Racer

From a Lighting Engineer.

1. No it does not matter what direction you install the bulbs (polarity) on the DRL's, it does matter on the HID's or on any LED's.

2. Do not change the DRL position! From a FMVSS regulation stand point it is illegal to change it. We work very hard to make head lamps legal and swaping positions is a definate no no. Also an HID burner (bulb) costs alot more than the bulb used for the DRL! You do the math.

3. If you want a very white light, try Osram Silver Stars if they have one for the H1 bulb. They are great but they do not last very long like a production bulb. I used to run them in my Accord but would only get a little over a year of use. Also you might look for anything with a Diadem coating. This coating has a blueish hue that help to make a whiter looking light.

4. Do not go up in wattage. OEM's spec the smallest wires possible for each application. Moving to a 100w bulb will result in melting and possible fires. Trust me I do this for a living.

Last edited by CLUBRCR; 01-24-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks CLUBRCR for the feedback. I never planned on changing the DRL position and I plan to keep everything as much stock as I can (electrical wise). I'll check out the Osram Silver Stars if they make an H1 bulb. It's just odd to me that the PIAA's and HELLAS I got based off of recommendations and research aren't giving me anything close to a white light! To members who have white DRLs, can you please post a pic and brand names of your lights? I want to figure this out! Thanks in advanced.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks CLUBRCR for the feedback. I never planned on changing the DRL position and I plan to keep everything as much stock as I can (electrical wise). I'll check out the Osram Silver Stars if they make an H1 bulb. It's just odd to me that the PIAA's and HELLAS I got based off of recommendations and research aren't giving me anything close to a white light! To members who have white DRLs, can you please post a pic and brand names of your lights? I want to figure this out! Thanks in advanced.

I recommended the Osram Night Breaker Plus H1, because it did just what you were looking for, change the DRLs from yellow to white.

They are just as bright as PIAAs and HELLAS, and a lot less expensive.

Last edited by TTMartin; 01-24-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM

Thanks TTMartin, I saw your post earlier in the thread and thought I would spend a little more for the PIAAs… I guess I should have listened to you from the beginning! When you have time, can you snap a photo with your cell phone and upload it? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 AM

... When you have time, can you snap a photo with your cell phone and upload it? Thanks!
Sorry car is on jackstands and undercover for the winter. If you still need the pics next spring (April) just remind me. I'll be at the Fontana Inn during Wake The Dragon (WTD09) if you want to see them there.

Last edited by TTMartin; 01-25-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Got S2000?

I know a good reason to resurrect an almost *5*-year old thread, and here it is:

I need to replace my DRL/High beam bulbs. Obviously, it's 2015, so LEDs are the first thought that comes to mind....

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Honda-S2000...s-p/90-007.htm

Any thoughts / experience / opinions? I very rarely even use the high beams, so this is mainly a DRL issue. (I'm guessing the LEDs might not throw light as well as the stock bulb on the high beam). That's okay with me, unless it makes them absolutely useless.

Last edited by Jim21680; 09-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Anxious to see replies 4 years later! I agree that the yellow DRLs detract from the projectors.

However, some of the newer ones do have a shorter lifespan and while they are not super hard to swap out, it's not easy. Need my son with small hands and thin forearms!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

You made me go out to my dark garage and play with the lights.
I agree the DRLs on my 09 is yellowish however they are off when you turn the HIDs on. The highbeams are a slightly different color but the way the light is cast is also unique. I think it looks kinda cool. From a driving perspective, I really like how well they light up the road.
I think I might be inclined to keep it OEM, perhaps. Maybe when they burnout I will look again.