Door Speaker Failure - 3rd Time

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Door Speaker Failure - 3rd Time

I have the following components installed on my MY07...

MTX TA3404 4-channel amp 50x4 @ 4ohms
MTX TX6001 6.5 door separates & tweeters
MTX TX5001 5.25 SPOD separates
Pioneer DEHP4900IB receiver
Modifry DCI

The system was installed in January 2008 by a very reputable shop here in Sacramento. They have done over 80 S2K installs over the years, so they would appear to know the car well. PROBLEM... the door 6.5" speakers have failed now for the 3rd time, in just less than 3 years. The 1st failure was after 6 months, the 2nd 9 months after that (April 09) and finally again this past week.

After the first 2 failures the shop just replaced the speakers. They tested the crossovers and said they were fine, and could find nothing wrong with the system. I'm bringing it back this week, but I'm not an expert in audio so I have no idea. In doing some searches here, I did find references to the original baskets and/or aftermarket shields used to prevent water damage. I recall that this shop used neither when installing these components. Could there be water damage causing them to short out? What is the consensus on using some type of protection like the baskets or shields?

My car is a 50% daily driver with lots of weekends and 3-4 track days per year tossed in, with about 35K miles. My music tastes are 50% classical/50% 60's-70's... not a lot of bass. Thanks for your thoughts/comments.

Ron

Last edited by mattsdad; 12-06-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Seņor Member

Did your speakers fail by going totally dead or by blowing the diaphragm and then sounding buzzy/ garbled? Speaker failures are chronic in the S but I've mostly heard about blown stock speakers. My second hand '05 arrived with both door midrange blown. Replaced with Polk Audio and no problems since.

Does your car sit out a lot?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM

back, they both go dead at the same time... no sound at all. Car is garaged 100%.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Sounds like the speakers are not water proof. Your door will get some moisture but not a lot, from washing & being out in the rain. Might need to change manufacture of the speakers. You may need to put silicone over the connections if they dont have the plastice that slips over the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

that's what i am thinking too. i don't understand why the installer hasn't provided some protection - 3 times now. he said baffles would make the speakers sound bad, but there must be some kind of compromise.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by mattsdad View Post
back, they both go dead at the same time... no sound at all. Car is garaged 100%.
Why would both speakers go dead at the same time from something that happened inside the door? If it's water wouldn't both speakers have to get wet at the same instant for that to happen? That seems unlikely.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

if you're washing the car, both speakers are going to end up getting wet at the same time..
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
if you're washing the car, both speakers are going to end up getting wet at the same time..
Mebbe. Try washing only half of your car for a few months and see what happens.

Are the car stereo guys seeing signs of exposure to water on the speakers?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Or there's a short from the amp to the speakers, they should check with a multimeter.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by toyrunner View Post
Or there's a short from the amp to the speakers, they should check with a multimeter.
Doesn't it sound more like something of that nature? Water is not going to come flooding into the doors when you wash the car unless the door glass scrapers are completely gone.

The comment that the crossovers were still good makes it weirder still. Without the crossover a speaker is about as simple as electronics get.

I'd get into the doors myself or try a different stereo shop.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by backusstudio View Post
Doesn't it sound more like something of that nature? Water is not going to come flooding into the doors when you wash the car unless the door glass scrapers are completely gone.

The comment that the crossovers were still good makes it weirder still. Without the crossover a speaker is about as simple as electronics get.

I'd get into the doors myself or try a different stereo shop.
Did they test the speakers once they were out of the car?

I agree with the fact that since the speakers both went out at the same time it is unlikely to be because of water in the door. However since they both went out at the same time this points back to a point where they both come together. I would look at either the connections behind the head unit, or the head unit itself.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Did they test the speakers once they were out of the car?

I agree with the fact that since the speakers both went out at the same time it is unlikely to be because of water in the door. However since they both went out at the same time this points back to a point where they both come together. I would look at either the connections behind the head unit, or the head unit itself.
Yup yup. Good points. I think you can't fix the problem 'cause you're not fixing the problem.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Just got back from the other high end shop in town. They found significant water damage, both to the connection and to the cables. There was no protection afforded the speakers to keep the water away.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM

The probability of both speakers failing at the same time is HIGHLY unlikely, even from water. That's like both headlights burning out at the same time.

Chances are (99%) it's a wiring (short/open somewhere) or head unit issue.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Seņor Member

Originally Posted by mattsdad View Post
Just got back from the other high end shop in town. They found significant water damage, both to the connection and to the cables. There was no protection afforded the speakers to keep the water away.
Well damn Mattsdad, that is just weird as heck. How is all of that water getting down into your doors? It's not like Sac is... well, Oregon. I'd really be interested to know how both speakers could go down simultaneously from water in the door panels. Bizarre....

You have a problem beyond speakers from the sound of things. You'll rust the bottoms of your doors out if you keep letting that much water in.

What kind of classical music do you listen to? I've been hearing about a condensation problem with Mozart....

Last edited by backusstudio; 12-06-2010 at 02:42 PM.