Dash Splitting? What to do?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Dash Splitting? What to do?

Just noticed something weird happening with my dash. I've used 303 on it since I bought my MY05 and what I'm looking at doesn't appear to be an actual crack in the dash itself, but appears that one section of the dash is pulling away from another piece. See arrow pointing to problem in pic attached. (Disregard terrible pic and dirty car. I wash my baby on Sundays. She'll get a bath tomorrow.)

Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, have you fixed it? I'm tempted to get a little bit black paint on a Q-tip and just swab down in there to cover up the problem, but that seems like a hack job vs. finding the real problem and correcting it. I've done a search here and at S2KI, but can't seem to find any similar problem.

I've seen many older S2Ks that haven't done this...although the Texas sun is a killer. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3076  
Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

First time I've seen that in a S2k even though I've seen it in a lot of other cars. Your assumption is probably correct. It was probably caused by the Summer heat.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM

I went out and looked at it really good and I'm wondering if there is some sort of black silicon that I could carefully squeeze down in there that would seal it up. Something like a vinyl repair product should do the trick, I'd think...
Old 10-23-2010, 02:59 PM
EYECELLEM

I think using cleaning/dress up products on the dash may be contibuting to what is happening to yours. I've seen S2k's where bubbles have formed on the dash from using these products over a long period of time and exposure to heat/sunlight.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
I think using cleaning/dress up products on the dash may be contibuting to what is happening to yours. I've seen S2k's where bubbles have formed on the dash from using these products over a long period of time and exposure to heat/sunlight.
The interesting thing I've observed about 303 and RaggTopp is they don't deny having any silicone in their products (I could be wrong about this, but, I haven't seen it). Since their MDS (material data sheets) list proprietary ingredients, I really wonder how different they actually are to a product like STP Son-of-a-Gun (SoaG) and ArmorAll.

I have had a brand new clear instrument cover panel ruined by using ArmorAll and it fogging the plastic, and since that time I have avoided ArmorAll.

But, I used STP SoaG on my MG Midgetís vinyl top and dash for the 12 years that I owned the car. The top stayed soft and pliable and the plastic windows stayed clear.

I just sprayed a test section of my S2000 top (below the window) with STP SoaG and the rest with RaggTopp. The RaggTopp Cleaner and Vinyl Protectant did make my top look great, so thatís why Iím doing the comparison. But, RaggTopp is 4 times the cost of STP SoaG, and Iíve had really great luck with the STP SoaG, so Iíll keep you posted (pun intended)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I have trouble believing that a weekly squirt of 303 caused this problem, especially since I never get it that close to the windshield as it's a pain to get off the glass. That said, I can't speak for the previous owner. If I were pointing blame, I'd say that a hot Texas summer without using a window shade is the likely culprit.

The problem occurred where the soft part of the dash meets the hard plastic in the air intake. The actual dash didn't crack. Just the lip of it is dried and pulling back.

I bought a vinyl repair kit at O Reilly's tonight that should fill the small gap with black nicely. In the end I could always spend $400 and just buy a new dash, but that seems a bit excessive for a car with 80k miles on it. She's my baby, but she's definitely a DD not a show car.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM

I live in Phoenix and have an 02 with 80k and it sleeps in my garage. Bought it 6 months ago with 72k and I do not know where it was parked by the previous owner(s). I do not have a dash issue, but is 303 worth the money??? I had a 89 CRX for 5 years and used ArmourAll with no issues, maybe your car has a rare defect? FYI I use 303 and don't know if its better than the cheap stuff. I read an old post by Java, and I agree with him, 303 smells very similar to ArmourAll.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Actually some products have solvents which either dissolve or kylate the plastic. When these agents evaporate or become dissolved they can shrink the material and cause cracks. I use Windex or just a damp cloth on my dash with no ill effects and the car is 10 years old at present.

Jonathan
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Some products, like ArmourAll have petroleum in them, 303 doesn't. I've seen and had damage from Armour All. I haven't done research on the others. I use 303 on a motor home, especially the high dollar tires and it works for me.

Go to the 303 website for information on how to take care of plastic.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Some products, like ArmourAll have petroleum in them, 303 doesn't.

Where does anything official from 303 say it doesn't have any petroleum or silicone in it?

The MDS says proprietary ingredients.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 AM

I think that black silicone would work fine, make sure you mask the joint carefully both sides and when you apply the material strike the surface to uniform, then peel masking tape away.
Make sure you dont apply to much as when you peel the tape it will raise on the edges.

You could probably apply with a small smooth sharpened wooden stick soaked in water and dish soap, this will prevent the material sticking.

This is the application sealant crews use when caulking exterior windows.
( remember silicone does not bond to silicone so you have to complete the fill the first time )

Neil
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 AM

[quote=tombarnard;145608]although the Texas sun is a killer.quote]

Amen, my daily driver in texas does not see the sun often. i park under an awning, and i always face away from the sun.....maybe overkill but i have been using armor oil on the interior myself...i know im bad, but it is protected often, i used some other stuff and it just looked god awful, but i always carry a rag and whipe away the dust it leaves/extra "oil"
Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 AM

The guy at O'Reilly's actually said that if the vinyl repair kit doesn't do the trick, he recommended using the black silicone that is used when installing windows. It's like $3 a tube and is flexible after it sets. I'm hoping that the vinyl repair kit will work just fine though and I can call it done.

Will report back later.

Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think that black silicone would work fine, make sure you mask the joint carefully both sides and when you apply the material strike the surface to uniform, then peel masking tape away.
Make sure you dont apply to much as when you peel the tape it will raise on the edges.

You could probably apply with a small smooth sharpened wooden stick soaked in water and dish soap, this will prevent the material sticking.

This is the application sealant crews use when caulking exterior windows.
( remember silicone does not bond to silicone so you have to complete the fill the first time )

Neil
Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Success

Well, that was easier than expected. I used the vinyl repair kit and filled in the crack with the stuff, wiped away the excess with a paper towel, and you'd seriously never know anything was ever wrong with it. So I'm pleased for the time being. With luck, the adhesive in the vinyl repair will mend the problem sufficiently enough to stop the problem from continuing.

Name:	SANY0006.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	3077  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Got S2000?

Looks great Tomb. So how thick was this adhesive you used?? Something like pancake syrup I imagine??

The only reason I ask is that I have a few indentations in my dash that have been there since the car was new. They're always bothered me a bit, but there's really not much I can do about it without complaining to Honda. I was thinking of using a hypodermic needle to inject some sort of filler behind the dash cover, filling the dents (hopefully!)

Not sure how well this would work, but I am curious now...
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 AM

I think this would probably work. I my case, I only used the black vinyl repair portion of the kit and skipped the clear glue portion. I wasn't glueing two pieces of vinyl together as the kit was designed to do, but simply filling in the small gap. So I only used the filler in the kit.

It was pretty easy to apply and excess wiped away really easily with a paper towel. The consistency is probably just a bit thicker than pancake syrup. It's more like a thick grease consistency, not quite a putty.

I've attached a pic of the kit I used. Of course I spent $11 on the kit and only used a tiny portion of just the black. So I've got the rest left in case the problem gets worse or I need it for some other application.

I'm going to invest in a small window shade to put in when I've got the car parked. It sits in direct sunlight all day 5 days a week...no good way to avoid this where I work. I'm certain that contributed to the problem, if it wasn't the total cause of it.

Name:	SANY0009.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	3078  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

mine is doing the same thing, not as bad as yours but yeah.

i also use 303 and wouldnt use anything else.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Where does anything official from 303 say it doesn't have any petroleum or silicone in it?

The MDS says proprietary ingredients.
http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

I've used it for around 30+ years. It works.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 AM

I was replacing my rearview mirror this weekend and noticed the exact same split along my dash as well. I often can't avoid parking in unshaded areas as well. Must be something about this Texas sun...

Thanks for the OP, I'm going to attempt the same repair later this week!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Member, Literally

You can get a sunshade for under $10 at Target, Wal-mart etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
You can get a sunshade for under $10 at Target, Wal-mart etc.
Man, I am all over it after the repair is done!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Suzuka

What if this occurs to my MY04 suzuka with the blue interior..can u say im kinda screwed??
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by s2kMyth View Post
What if this occurs to my MY04 suzuka with the blue interior..can u say im kinda screwed??
See above and use 303 and it won't be a problem.