2006 S2000 Leather Seat Replacement - S2000 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #1  

2006 S2000 Leather Seat Replacement

Hello to all the cool peeps on this forum. Let me just say first that this forum is great! It really helps new owners become knowledgeable quickly! I've driven S2000s years ago and always wanted one. Now I've got one!

It's a 2006 Silver on Black and it's in great condition other than the fact the previous owner appears to have done zero to little leather maintenance on the vehicle. The seats are beginning to crack. I am beginning to understand firsthand the saying the convertibles are hard on leather interiors!

I called leatherseats.com and they informed that they do NOT yet have a pattern for the 2006 and later s2000 seats. I'd basically have to send in the seats to get a pattern made which translates into mad coin, more than I'm willing to spend at this point. I thought of Katzkin too, but people say they are not as good, leather is not always as high a quality. I'm thinking of getting some cool sheepskin covers from a site called "superlambauto" but they are also expensive but appear to be top notch quality.

I'd also like to replace the center console rest as it is showing wear. The honda dealership wanted about 95 dollars for a replacement leather piece. That's just crazy IMO.

Have any of you replaced your leather interiors on your 2006 or later S2000s? If so I welcome your advice!
labsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #2  
EYECELLEM

Where are you located? I have a friend/sales rep for a company that does leather interiors including for the S. The company is Coach Automotive Restyling but located in the SF bay area, prices are very competitive.
Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #3  

Leather Seats

Not sure if they will fit but I just bought a brand new 2008 S2000 in Rio Yellow. It was sitting on the showroom floor of a Honda dealership with 272 miles on it. I mention this because I am swithing the entire interior over to the Club Racer interior. Door panels, center console, steering wheel and seat covers. I will have these for sale in the middle of June. I am currently in Iraq and as soon as I can get home and get the interior switched I will have everything for sale on the forum.
frogman342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #4  

i have a 2001 and it has close 2 17k miles on it now but i havent changed the leathers because they were in amazing sape when i got it starting 2 show barely any wear on the edge but i just cleaned it up with armour all and i also used leather paint or whatever u call it that is the same color as my seat on 1 area nd it looks brand new now!!
blobianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #5  
SRR

my seats from my 01 has about 56k on them and they still look new... u can even smell the leather... lol
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #6  

Now I'm starting to wonder if Honda was using poor quality leather that year. I bought an '06 last year with 35K on the odometer, in perfect condition, although the seats seemed a little brittle (which didn't respond to any sort of treatment). At this point they have some nasty tears in them and I'm in the same boat as you, looking for replacements. I just ordered a set of the Wet Okole seat covers until something else comes along.
oldracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #7  
Got S2000?

One thing everyone should know is that our seats are actually vinyl-coated leather. I'm guessing Honda did this because it's more durable and weatherproof than bare leather. So, typical leather-care products aren't as effective as vinyl-care products. There's plenty of discussion on seat care throughout this forum & others, so see for yourself what you think is best.
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #8  

i looked on ebay 4 u but those r priced way 2 much they are like a thousand so maybe just get them redone hopefully for cheaper
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #9  
EYECELLEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
One thing everyone should know is that our seats are actually vinyl-coated leather. I'm guessing Honda did this because it's more durable and weatherproof than bare leather. So, typical leather-care products aren't as effective as vinyl-care products. There's plenty of discussion on seat care throughout this forum & others, so see for yourself what you think is best.
Or to be exact leather trimmed. Typical of all newer Hondas. The seating face is leather the back, sides and other little areas are vinyl.
Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #10  

I haven't but mine were pretty worn on the drivers side from the previous owner. I planned on getting them redone sometime. Then I realized why bother bc I was going to replace them with brides eventually.
rowleyxlt2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #11  
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobianco View Post
i have a 2001 and it has close 2 17k miles on it now but i havent changed the leathers because they were in amazing sape when i got it starting 2 show barely any wear on the edge but i just cleaned it up with armour all and i also used leather paint or whatever u call it that is the same color as my seat on 1 area nd it looks brand new now!!
Armour All is one of the worst things you can use on any part of the car. It cracked the dash on my original Accord. It dries out tires as well. It's your car, but don't say you weren't warned.
philiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #12  
Senior Member, Literally

The leather on the seats is vinyl coated. Some European cars are pure leather. American cars are all coated. You can test this by putting a drop of water on the seat. If it soaks in, it's leather. Otherwise it's coated.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #13  

what should i use then??
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #14  
Senior Member, Literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobianco View Post
what should i use then??
I use 303 on the seats, tires, dash and even the plastic headlight covers. It has no petroleum products, which can dry out plastic and rubber.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #15  

I have a 2002 from Phoenix and the leather is great. I don't use the shiny type wipes, just Meguiers cleaning wipes, seems to do the trick.
theotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #16  

good to no great advice yet again.
thx
bryan
Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #17  

I'm in the south florida area. I was under the impression that leatherseats.com was one of the biggest suppliers of aftermarket leather seat replacements but I'm open to other companies if they are of OEM level quality. Quite honestly, I'd expect higher qaulity than OEM as that is it has been stated by others on here that the leather seats on the S2k are just not up to the level of quality we expect for a car of this calibre.

I'd like to put in a fresh seat if I am going to go through the trouble of taking these off and crimping on new covers with all those hogrings. The seats are pretty simple but still I'd like to put some new fresh seats in.

Would be cool to get a center console replacement that was semicustomized other than getting the same exact one from Honda and paying all that money for something that is pretty plain.

I agree, for a 2006 I thought the leather would be more robust but about a week after i started conditioning it creases started forming and it just started cracking. basically a bit of a minor nightmare lol. Keep in mind that 2006 and later s2ks have a different seat design so I dunno if that effected any differences with materials that year.
labsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #18  
2006 Suzuka Blue

Hi, Everyone. New to the forum but I've browsed many times over the years since purchasing my '06 Suzuka Blue with blue seats. Now it's time to replace the seat covers. I've received sample swatches from leatherseats.com but the color selections don't closely match the OEM blue. One shade of blue is too bright and the other shades are too dark. Does anyone have any recommendations for quality leather covers that more closely match the OEM blue? Thanks for the assist.
NJOYSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #19  
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

If you really want it to look good, for half the price of new OEM sear covers (if you can find them) is to take the seats to a reputable auto upholstery shop and have them recover it in the leather of your choice. They can even duplicate the little holes if you like. Actually, they can make the entire seat leather instead of part leather, part vinyl.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #20  
THE STIG

I'm not sure if they offer that color but you can try Clazzio.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #21  
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
I'm not sure if they offer that color but you can try Clazzio.
I'm not sure Clazzio offers S2000 seat covers any longer. From their website: This vehicle is currently out of stock. Some others might have some in stock but you might not find the color combination you want.

Try Go Tuning: http://gotuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=938

Last edited by kgf3076; 07-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote