On The Hunt

Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM

On The Hunt

So far, as it stands now, I'm hoping to own an s2000 by the end of the week if everything goes according to plan. Right now I've currently got my choices down to two that I'm very interested in:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2892577899.html

The triple blue Suzuka is so far my primary choice. I haven't had a chance to go and actually check out the car but I have talked to the guy and he still has it and I plan on going out to see it hopefully by this Thursday and have a third party inspect it if I do decide to go with it. I like this car because it appears to be very clean and well taken care of plus it falls snugly right into my budget range.

http://www.fullertonautosquare.com/vehicle/used-2006-honda-s2000-convertible-2d-958868.cfml#ar_top

I just discovered this car while searching around on autotrader. I actually just went down to Fullerton on my motorcycle to check this s2000 out to investigate it further. While looking for the car on the lot a dealer came up to me and showed me the car in the show room. The goods about this car was that it was indeed very clean and did hold a clean title as well as carfax. Plus the guy said that he'd throw me a deal and knock off a couple thousand off the asking price (which would make me seriously consider it).
However, I did have a few concerns with the car. While looking around a saw a couple of fine scratches below the drivers side handle and right by the gas tank (thin lines that reveal the white beneath). I did see a couple other scuff marks but nothing else that was too serious. One thing I couldn't help but noticing was that the antenna for the radio was missing from the car (you can see it in the pictures), I asked the guy and he said that the previous owner must've taken it which I thought was kind of odd. Also the car has the "s2000" logo on the left side but the other "s2000" logo is missing on the right side. I understand the scuffs can be touched up for a small price as well as the logo on the right side replaced, and if I do decide to go with this car I will ask the dealer if we can have it inspected by the Honda dealership which is a couple miles down the road. I did read the reviews for this dealership on Yelp! and they weren't altogether that great (http://www.yelp.com/biz/fullerton-auto-square-fullerton). I've never boughten a used (or new) car from a dealership before so I don't really know anything about that whole process.

What do you guys think? I'd greatly appreciate your guys' input in helping me make a solid decision
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Hey Papa the Suzuka Blue looks like the best bang for the buck, plus it's an AP1 9k revs
Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 PM

The AP1 looks like the best deal. I don't care for Suzuka blue, but if you like it, go for that one.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 PM
House of CR.

Concerning the BB S2000. The scratches by the door cups is not unusual, the white showing is probably residual wax left in the scratches from a detail job. If you look at it again see if you can remove it gently with your finger nails. Unless the scratches are extremely deep they can be removed with compounding & waxing. If you've never owned a Black car be prepared for more work keeping it looking nice than any other color.

I would stick to the privately owned Suzuka, assuming it checks out well at the Dealer.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
'06 S2k

I'm sorry but I would not even waste my time going to look at any car from Fullerton Auto Square.
Read the reviews, way to many bad ones to be anything other than a dealer to stay away from.

ROD
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Senior Member, Literally

I'd opt for the 2002. You get to talk to the owner and judging by his garage it would seem kept it up. The dealers can make any car look great with detailing. I've had black cars and unless you like to spend a lot of time on them they're a pain in the gazingas!

My $.02
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 AM
THE STIG

I would go with the AP1 out of the choices and I'm not just saying that because that's what I have.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Dismember

19K AP2 vs 13K AP1- I would personally go for the AP1. Lower price and can still probably be negotiated like the AP2. I am more partial to the AP1 engine and styling (front bumper mostly) as well.

With that said, it does not hurt to say you are considering the AP1 (show him the ad) and try to get it for 15K. Is there a warranty on AP2? Can he sweeten the pot with one?

I would not let the antenna or S2000 logo deter me from AP2 if I wanted it though. These are really cheap and the logo probably came off during a good scrubbing. As far the scatches- some black wax would probably really help the situation.

Again- I would go for AP1 at the end of the day. Plus- I do not see the blue tops often and think they are very nice. Even nicer is that it has the glass window which really levels the playing ground between AP1 and AP2.

GL with whatever you go with and let us know asap!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Dismember

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
I'd opt for the 2002. You get to talk to the owner and judging by his garage it would seem kept it up. The dealers can make any car look great with detailing. I've had black cars and unless you like to spend a lot of time on them they're a pain in the gazingas!

My $.02

I could not agree more. Black cars are a pain in the *** to keep clean and shiny!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by StrayS2k View Post
I could not agree more. Black cars are a pain in the *** to keep clean and shiny!
Oh hell yeah!! My Subie is black with tan interior........ real fun to keep clean.....
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM

Yeah there would be a warranty on the AP2 but thanks guys for reaffirming my original choice, it looks like I'm gonna be going with the Suzuka!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 AM
House of CR.

Just so your not limiting yourself to any particular car, you may find it's not what you want after seeing it in person, here is some other (3+ pages of cars) ideas.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1332169063510
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Dismember

[QUOTE=Vanishing Point;209136]Just so your not limiting yourself to any particular car, you may find it's not what you want after seeing it in person, here is some other (3+ pages of cars) ideas.

Wow, those wheels and wing on CR (first result) are just awful!....

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM
House of CR.

Yea, non OEM wheels, top and exhaust! The wing is a APR wing which is a pricey mod for serious track people, the "Mugen" style top is so-so in my estimation. The wheels are just fugly! It's been for sale for some time, I'm guessing even though it's a low mileage model it's has issues.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Party Rock Crew

AP1 FTW!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Bug Zapper

Originally Posted by PapaJohn10 View Post
Yeah there would be a warranty on the AP2 but thanks guys for reaffirming my original choice, it looks like I'm gonna be going with the Suzuka!

YAY, its the fastest year, plus it looks like a nice car. You better go buy it or I am going to go buy it
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
official newb

Yes black is a fkin pain to keep shiny, I had my car cleaned and waxed and just before I left the detailer I took a picture cause I knew the 5 minute drive home would produce a few blems. With that said what is the positive side of black; I'll give you 1
Police radar and laser have trouble with black, so it takes longer for them to get an accurate reading on you which gives you time to slam the brakes and smile at him.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM

If it was me I'd probably hold out for something else. Maybe because I don't like the blue looks to feminine for me and I wouldn't pay 18k for a car that I've seen priced for 10k at times. I mileage is important but its a Honda.and if you get a turbo your going to have to rebuild it anyways and you'll still be under 18k just some stuff to consider. Since your looking if you haven't already try inland empire and San Diego craigslist
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
Police radar and laser have trouble with black, so it takes longer for them to get an accurate reading on you which gives you time to slam the brakes and smile at him.
I sure hope you have a good traffic attorney. . Laser does not care what color your car is, it just likes to send a signal to a nice shiny object. Your headlights work well (and that's where most LEO's point the laser). Radar is color-blind, it measure what are essentially the timing differences in a signal bounced off of your car. Unless you have a radar absorbent coating on your car (highly doubtful), color makes no difference.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:34 AM
House of CR.

Ever wonder why some states are so stringent on cars having a front license plate. Voila'.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM

I can't believe how much they have gone up in the last year. It seems like last summer $15,000 would get your pick of any AP2 (04-06 anyway). I remember sitting in an 04 with under 60k miles for $13,950 just 4 months back. Grrr, shoulda struck, but I can't buy until early August.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
Yes black is a fkin pain to keep shiny, I had my car cleaned and waxed and just before I left the detailer I took a picture cause I knew the 5 minute drive home would produce a few blems. With that said what is the positive side of black; I'll give you 1
UH don't think so... Laser speed detectors are aimed at your front plate or headlights and cant tell the color of an object...same with radar, except it is not aimed at a specific point, it is aimed in the direction of on coming traffic, has no idea what color your car is... But here is a tip, if you see a LEO sitting on the side of the road and the car is parallel with traffic, he is monitoring speed, if he is perpendicular to traffic, he either has a hand held unit or is not monitoring speed...usually looking for something in particular...