Cat or no cat

Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
[黒竜]

Cat or no cat

I am currently using a Greddy Evo2 Exhaust and I'll be putting on a turbo shortly. I'm thinking I should take the cat off for the obvious reasons, but I'm curious about the sound of the S2000 without the cat vs with the cat. As much as I care about performance, I don't want to be the one driving a nice car that sounds like attack of the drunken bumblebee's. Any take on if I should bother removing it or not?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM

From what ive heard it makes them sound like your average civic.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

I'm running no cat and a invidia system, I dont think it made a differance in sound without it until you get in to vtec. From what i'm told the Turbo will take abit of the loudness out of your exhaust anyways.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Depends on whether or not you want to mess up the environment and be illegal to drive anywhere except the track.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 AM
[黒竜]

Global warming is a myth and if the world is my track so that makes it legal everywhere. j/k Thats why I'm asking, as long as its not blatantly obvious that I'm driving around with no cat on and its actually worth the trouble, I don't mind tossing it back on for inspections.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 AM
"Enjoy the drive"

I haven't had a cat for years. Other than less back pressure, I don't think it makes too much difference. I am sure it changes the sound some and frees up the flow of the exhaust (thus less back pressure), but as for more HP or anything, it may be a little if any.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 PM

On a turbo car you really should remove the cat. None of my cars have a cat anymore, but then I live in MN and we don't have inspections anymore.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
[黒竜]

Lucky you on the no inspections, I didn't think people lived in MN? I thought people just went there to watch the local sports team lose and stop at as many Prince Museums as possible, but yea thats my general thought on it.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

mess up the environment hahaha interesting.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM

I first instaled a cat back system the went to a test pipe or cat delete and the sound was greatly increased not just in dB but just an alaround better sound.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM
[黒竜]

hey global warming is very real and very serious...oh man its hard to type that without laughing. Ah.. j/k, if I felt that my one car would actually make a difference against the environmental monster that is ghg I would consider maybe leaving the cat on, but I might as well drive like I'm livin while I'm livin.

Thanks for the imput on the cat issue.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM

global warming is a serious issue. The fact that someone thinks you removing your cat is gonna hurt the environment is also a serious issue.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
global warming is a serious issue. The fact that someone thinks you removing your cat is gonna hurt the environment is also a serious issue.
Global warming is the biggest scam since the Y2k hoax.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Member, Literally

You should have been in L.A. traffic before emission controls came in. I gave up driving open top cars because of the ill effects of the smog.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sikocivic View Post
Global warming is the biggest scam since the Y2k hoax.
Got data to prove your point?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by DJJSR View Post
Got data to prove your point?
The point is that the "Global Warming" people can't prove their point. All they have are computer models that are using incomplete data. Its a guessing game. I am old enough to remember that in the 60s and 70s they warned us of the next Ice Age coming. Its always something.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Philosopher

Even if you don't believe in global warming, pollution is real. You can see it, you can smell it, and sometimes you can taste it. Emission controls have helped alot to clean up our air over the past 35 years (since cats started being installed). I'm keepin mine.

BTW, today's converters are much less restrictive than those of 30 years ago and you have very little to gain by removing it.

Talk to anyone that's been to Mexico City or industrialized China and get their views on pollution. Unfortunately, we all breath the same air.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Ain't here to convince anybody'a anything, okay?
But let's jus' say for the sake'a arguement that someone was to indiscriminately quadruple the worlds population, n' let's jus' say that some moron started burnin' up 75% of the rainforests.
Toss in a little ozone layer depletion, hothouse effects, smog n' air pollution, season with unproven (N' satisfactory only to those gonna make a profit from it's sale) "cloned" corn n' whatnot, porcupine DNA in oranges so that they don't freeze as easily . . .
You can pooh-pooh global warmin' if you wanna, but it's jus' one of many reasons that our party-hearty into oblivion species is gonna put us all oud'a business, permanent like. It don't give me a real good feelin' about what we're leavin' the kids.
Maybe not tomorrow n' maybe not the day after, but this is definitely the most severe case'a Sears Best, Heavy-Duty "Hell-ta-Pay". But to stop this particular impendin' wreck would mean a major mindset change to the masses n' removin' the profit to be had from the rape'a the planet. Neither'a which is about to happen.
Removin' a cat? With everything else goin' on, removin' every cat in the country ain't gonna amount to a hill'a beans.
Aaaay! Drinks were bein' served n' the band played right up to the end on the Titanic, right?
Be well.
Java
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM
[黒竜]

I'm gonna have to agree with Corporate America. We live in a world of airplanes,factories, and hummers. You can be rest assured pollution will go up without our help. Even if you made every vehicle use its cat, pollution would only decrease in rise by -0.9%. Yes .9% of a large number is still a high number, but what does it matter when its already a high number. If only the world were so easily saved.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
ex-owner :(

The problem with Global Warming is that we can not prove or disprove it's existence. However, here's a thought: What are the risk/consequences of doing nothing and being wrong, vs. doing something and being wrong?

As for an argument regarding the cat, Honda's are some of the cleanest engines already. I've read on a Civic form where people were still passing emission sniff tests without the cat on a 2.0L. To the OP, good luck with what you choose to do.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Oh, I think its already been proven. The polar ice caps are melting and they aren't coming back anytime soon. Not only is this causing the level of the ocean to rise, but it is an indicator that the planet is warming. Who cares about a little ice you sayz? All that ice helps to regulate our climate around the earth.

The glacial melt that is occuring isn't a "myth". I saw a program the other night that showed photos taken from the same vantage point early in the century, mid century, then recent. There is no question that the glaciers are retreating and at an exponential rate.

Howz about back to the topic of turbos/super chargers now?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Resident Track Whore :)

I don't have a stand on global warmng, but I am watching the History channel right now about it. They say the climate changes every 125,000 years. Currently, all research says that we should be in a cooling period and we are warming and that we've lost 45 cubic miles of polar ice cap.

We are warming and the earth does have its cycles, but it seems to be extremely accelerated in this cycle.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm with Tee-Dub, but, I believe it was cats Tee.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Oh, I think its already been proven. The polar ice caps are melting and they aren't coming back anytime soon. Not only is this causing the level of the ocean to rise, but it is an indicator that the planet is warming. Who cares about a little ice you sayz? All that ice helps to regulate our climate around the earth.

The glacial melt that is occuring isn't a "myth". I saw a program the other night that showed photos taken from the same vantage point early in the century, mid century, then recent. There is no question that the glaciers are retreating and at an exponential rate.

Howz about back to the topic of turbos/super chargers now?
What he said.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Sorry, cats! I've been bouncing back and forth from here to S2kI reading about superchargers vs turbos and I guess that was on my noodle.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Boost Junkie

on a turbo car go catless. Your spool time will greatly increase, your power output will be alot higher, and it will not sound raspy. A turbo honda without a cat does not sound bad at all. Just make sure that you have a large resonator on your exhaust and the car will continue to be quiet.

What turbo kit are you looking at right now?????
Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM

What is it with bringing back really old posts here lately? lol
Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by sonic View Post
What is it with bringing back really old posts here lately? lol

lol, sorry if I brought up an old thread. I didn't even look at the date. This thread was on your front page. Now that I look at it your turbo forums are dead. No wonder I don't see many boosted S2K's, I guess there are really any out there.