Feeling the need to go faster, quicker

Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Feeling the need to go faster, quicker

Trust me, I am ducking with this post, but I am totally lost. Surely there are ways to boost torque without upsetting the purest here? If you had $10,000 to spend, ...what would you do?

I've driven rear wheeler's my whole life so, Becoming intimate with the nearest tree is not my focus. How would the real car folk go about this task of getting more boost out of an S while maintaining it's originality.

If there were a way to meld off the line exhilaration with it's current handling skills, what would be your direction. This is an honest question and only want to hear from those with the same line of thought.

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 05-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM

I'm really itching to supercharge it. From people that I've met, most are really satisfied with turbos and highly recommend it. Turbos seem to be the best route for customizing.
I want to supercharge for ease of removing it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by CLOS View Post
I'm really itching to supercharge it. From people that I've met, most are really satisfied with turbos and highly recommend it. Turbos seem to be the best route for customizing.
I want to supercharge for ease of removing it.
Please elaborate!

What all needs to be accomplished from suspension to radio?

I've got $10,000 to spend!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

CC, 'not doubtin'yer intent here'd'all'n I'm only offerin'-upp'n alternative plan'da ge'cher RUSH . . for some.
But, do'yuh ride?
Ten large'll put'cha solidly inda insane speed widd'a crotch-rocket. Iff'yuh ride.
'N, Stewie gettz'da sit OEMily'n reliably [email protected]*#&ed wit'.
'Z'da ol' Jaggsta likez'da say: "Jus' sayin'".
(Y'know?)

Good luck widd'itt howeva'yuh go.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 AM
House of CR.

CC,
when you say faster do you mean in a straight line or are you thinking better handling in order to carry more speed through turns? Handling tunes are easier/cheaper over all than going supercharged/turbo. Throw in a brake, tire/wheel upgrade with handling mods and you now have a faster braking, go cart handling car that allows you to fly through turns faster. Cost wise, about half of that ten grand, bank the rest for a rainy day! Oh, an added bonus would be a couple weekends at a driving school to learn how to best use this new beast you've created.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Got S2000?

Yeah, like Java said...

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
CC,
when you say faster do you mean in a straight line or are you thinking better handling in order to carry more speed through turns? Handling tunes are easier/cheaper over all than going supercharged/turbo. Throw in a brake, tire/wheel upgrade with handling mods and you now have a faster braking, go cart handling car that allows you to fly through turns faster. Cost wise, about half of that ten grand, bank the rest for a rainy day! Oh, an added bonus would be a couple weekends at a driving school to learn how to best use this new beast you've created.
VP, I like your idea! I originally was thinking a little more off the line but you makes a great point. Especially about the driving school! I've always wanted to do that!

I doubt that I would ever supercharge. But am really interested in the process of making it faster off of the line with out screwing up it's intended abilities. I was reading the thread about the guy who was trying to set the HP record and was intrigued that one has the ability to make that happen. I also totally understand that if Honda had wanted that type of vehicle with the S, that they would have done so.

Also VP, what specifics would you choose if you were to go your route?

Thanks again, I appreciate the discussion.

JJ, I just don't do cycles as I have lost several friends on them due to other bonehead drivers but I totally get your point.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 AM

save your money for a rainy day, and change the ratio of the differential.

it'll give you the sense of more torque, save you tons of cash, avoid the problems associated with dickin' with stewie's perfected engine, and leave your S basically original.

jus' sayin',
jagg
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Got S2000?

CC, so you say you're interested in a bit more acceleration, without upsetting the normal character of the car (for which I cannot blame you). Have you considered going with different gears in the rear?? That'll certainly give you better acceleration, and will cost way, wayyy less that $10,000. Do much highway driving?? I've heard that having a larger ratio is similar to driving around in 5th as the only OD gear. There's plenty of reading on it, so look into if you're not already familiar with what's involved.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Got S2000?

(jagg types faster than I)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
House of CR.

CC,
Recommendations, depending on the model yr of your car.
Suspension, KWv3 coil overs. A cheaper compromise is the Swift Spec R springs. Coupled with the CR front sway bar. Or go with a Saner or swift front bar depending on $'s.
Brakes, StopTech BBK and replacement brake lines with EBC yellow brake pads.
Exhaust, personal choice here. They are lighter, breath better and "some" hp and create some drone issues in certain brands. I would stay with a Cat.back system which offered silencers.
Wheels/tires, depending on your model yr. you may just need a set of Ap2V2 or V3 depending on your taste. Lighter wheels reduces unsprung weight which is a good thing, but can be costly! We want as much contact patch as possible in regards to tires. The softer tires ( wear rated at 180 to 240) are very sticker tires. If you daily drive this car these might not be for you, but if you weekend this car they are awesome tires.
The best/stickiest tires are Hankook Rs3's, Dunlop Star Spec's and Bridgestone Re-11's.
The Bridgestones and Dunlops are best in the rain and not so good at or below freezing, in S. Texas that's not really much of an issue. Recommended tire sizes (depending on wheels) front: 225's Rear: 255's.
Extra's, Cold air intake. Again personal choice. They make some power (5-10 hp) alone, with the exhaust maybe 20 hp overall. Get a thorough suspension alignment, a good starting point is the European alignment spec's. Don't waste your money on strut bars, floor bars, etc. They add weight and are worthless.

I've given some ideas, others may have other ideas on products or better things to spend your money on and that's fine. Don't rush into the "mod" business, do a lot of research on here,S2KI and S2KCA get others opinions. One other thing, keep your stock parts should you want to return your car to stock or sell them to help defray the cost of the new parts. Good luck and have fun!

~Steven
Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Undastan'yer concernz all-too-well CC.
'Jus' wanned'a make sure'yuh din' miss any optionz.
'Z'fuh wayz'da go, 'dink VP'z suggestion'z on'a money . . 'specially'da back'da school part.
Keep'uss posted?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by jagg View Post

it'll give you the sense of more torque, save you tons of cash, avoid the problems associated with dickin' with stewie's perfected engine, and leave your S basically original.

jus' sayin',
jagg

Charlie, you can get a Puddy Mod diff (guy on s2ki) with taller gears for about 1500... you will certainly notice a diffrence. Puddy Mod is very well known for his diffs...quite the perfectionist. OR, you could just buy the gears and put them in your stock diff... probably about $400 -$500.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Thank you all. I've had this car for about a year and a half and have been unmodding it. I have no intentions of ruining it, but I think I'll look into the gears. It' just that I see younens here jumping in and adding things without concerns that what they just modded might screw something else up.

I have switched from a Minii Cooper to a Nissan Rogue as my DD and if you know the launch of the Mini, you'd understand my desire for a little more off of the line, I'm not interested in street racing, but ther are times where the squirrels just can't get going and seems to bog down as if starting out in third gear.

I also think that part of my launch is due to inexperience with higher revving engine. I think that getting the RPMs up a little more might also go a long way. My ride before the Mini was a 2002 camaro SS with a LS1 engine with gobs of torque.

Thanks again. And JJ I am a dentist can't afford a tumble and subsequent injuries that would prevent me from working. I don't even own a bicycle.

Could any of you recommend a good school within driving distance of San Antonio?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM
House of CR.

Local track and instruction.
http://harrishillroad.com/

Some of what you describe as bogging off the line could be attributed to "heat soak", especially on hot/humid days.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Don't godda be no toof-yanka'da not be able'da afford'a tumble'n injuriez CC. 'S'jus' datt diff'rent strokez ding again.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Local track and instruction.
http://harrishillroad.com/

Some of what you describe as bogging off the line could be attributed to "heat soak", especially on hot/humid days.
VP, I checked out your link and I've known of this track but was unaware of it's school. Have you ever driven it? Your way up near Plano?

Thanks again, I will definitely check it out. As a matter of fact I will be in San Marcos tomorrow. ....if I can break away from the ladies. Maybe drop them off at the Outlet Mall there!

I definitely will do some research on gears! As for "heat soak" we have a lot of it here!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Don't godda be no toof-yanka'da not be able'da afford'a tumble'n injuriez CC. 'S'jus' datt diff'rent strokez ding again.
Thanks JJ, totally understand and totally agree! I am jealous of the free spirited folks that ride those things! Me basically being a wuss!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
THE STIG

Save up $7,000 more and get this: https://www.s2000.com/forums/honda-s...ged-s2000.html
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Hybrid Hater

Get some final drive gears.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by jagg View Post

jus' sayin',
jagg
only downside^^ is the loss of gas mileage. you can buy a lot of gas for $10,000. but you would lose mileage anyway if you poked $10,000 under the hood.

my suggestion would be to sell me your car and take that cash infusion and your 10 grand and get you a kuh-mare-ee-oh or a boss 'stang. i have heard bad things about the chevy 6-speed but they should be working those problems out. it is a good looking auto and fast. mustang is the same. i am not making my usual cynical smart *** statements here as this is what i would do if i wanted a fast straight liner. the camaro shows some great times in the twisties and i understand that the boss does as well. it is all in what you want to do. while the s2000 is perfect for modifying, it just seem to me that all of the modded cars seem to lose their dependabllity. i don't like down time. i like the s2000 for what it is. i would like the chevy or the ford for the same reason. you can almost always make more horsepower or torque. but at what price? and i don't mean $$$?

to make the big power with the S2000 you of course would have to force induct it. that's fine if that's what you want to do. i think it just makes the car a toy* rather that dependable transportation. it is a race car, you know.

whatever you do does not upset me. the S2000 can be modified to produce true supercar handling and speed. woe be it for me to rain on your parade. true pure power best comes from a v8. there. i said it. i love my 4-banger.

*object of amusement or pleasure, a gadget, an object for play

Last edited by bbcricketta; 05-21-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: counting rpm.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

bb, thank you for your thoughts, I love the two seater and really not interested in a Camaro or Stang. I am just wondering about a little more power, not a,dragster. I was curious that if One had a little cash to improve the off the line power and did it right to not screw up the car with unthought out add on's, what would they be.

I have no desire to change rides.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Hybrid Hater

Like I said, gears.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM

I agree on the gears.... if you have $10K, then gamble 400-500 on some 4.77's and see how you like it... IMO

Good luk w/ your decision!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
normal aspiration

Originally Posted by Charlie Croker View Post
bb, thank you for your thoughts, I love the two seater and really not interested in a Camaro or Stang. I am just wondering about a little more power, not a,dragster. I was curious that if One had a little cash to improve the off the line power and did it right to not screw up the car with unthought out add on's, what would they be.

I have no desire to change rides.
like the popular consensus says: gears. cheap and won't affect the integrity or dependability of the car. if you are gonna be dumpin' the clutch a lot you are going to have to beef the diff anyway and will probably need a new clutch. also: lighter flywheel? everything mentioned is a tradeoff.

2 more cents.

the stang and kay-mare-ee-o are great cars for the twisties. i do like the look of the chevrolet. it keeps growing on me. seems like a big car though.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM

everything mentioned is a tradeoff.

yup,
jagg
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

charlie,

another member is selling a greddy turbo kit on this very forum for a very reasonable price. might want to jump on that.

he made 291rwhp with it on a conservative tune. the turbo on those kits is pretty small so it should spool quickly and get you the bump you need.

and it's only about $7,000 less than you want to spend to boot.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Hybrid Hater

A turbo or supercharger would certainly give you what you were looking for.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

This is what I'm probably going to get, or at least leaning towards.
Check out their website. They are what I would consider to be one of the best companies out there for s2k's and a reputable company here locally as well as nationally. I know they get s2k's and NSX's shipped to them to get worked on so they gotta be doing something right.
I feel this might be up your ally. This plus some seat time at the track should give you what you want. For under 10k.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...FSupercharger/
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by CLOS View Post
This is what I'm probably going to get, or at least leaning towards.
Check out their website. They are what I would consider to be one of the best companies out there for s2k's and a reputable company here locally as well as nationally. I know they get s2k's and NSX's shipped to them to get worked on so they gotta be doing something right.
I feel this might be up your ally. This plus some seat time at the track should give you what you want. For under 10k.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...FSupercharger/
They are a great company. I own most of the things they sell. The supercharger is on my list though. Probably next year. I would do it this year but I want them to install it for me and I dont have time to get it out there this summer.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM

really surprised at all the gears recommendation...
I guess it makes sense that it would give you "perceived" torque increase, but at the end of the day - you'll probably grow tired of that too and be itching for more...and then if you decide to get more...you'll probably need to change back to stock gear ratio's anyways.

For $10k you could get a solid turbo kit, with ems and tune and have a bit left over for a rainy day/in evitable problems. (assuming you were to install it yourself).

If you're not installing yourself then a basic kraftwerk or comptech supercharger would also get you a nice bump for the stated $10k.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Mr. Riley Wilson

w00,

Again, I really only wish that my car can get off of the line a little quicker. Turbos, supercharges add more potential problems. I really like the gears, suspension, brake upgrade ideas first.

Are gears specific for specific cars, or can I purchase any brand? Any recommendation if I were to go 4.77?

Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
House of CR.

Charlie,
Here is a very reputable seller on S2KI that builds diff's and offers various gearing selections. This are well known to be stout units and are being used in cars with HP figures in excess of 650hp. They should be "bulletproof" in a stock car.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/5589...able-products/
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Hybrid Hater

Dang that is a sweet diff vanishing point, if you were going all out that seems to be the best choice.

Scienceofspeed does a lot of diff work so thats where I got my gears. I have 4.44s, I chose them anticipating my AP2 tranny (some day).
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM
House of CR.

^^
I agree, and when you figure these are hand build units to your specifications and gearing they are worth the money.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Computer Blue

Hey Charlie, what did you end up doing here?

I know I'm about 2 years late with chiming in, but I would have added a tune along with everyone's suggestion of gears.

I would think gears and a tune to have vtec kick in at 4k would make it lively.