Looking for Input on a Turbonetics kit - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Forced Induction / Nitrous
Looking for Input on a Turbonetics kit >

Looking for Input on a Turbonetics kit

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Looking around to find some good prices for some turbo kits for the S. Greddy is running more then 5k, which is out of my budget for now. But at the same time i dont want a cheap unknown brand off of ebay. I am buying it off of ebay and was wondering if anyone knew anything about Turbonetics and if it is a good brand or not. Reliable? Durable?? I read a post that said " they went bankrupt" and also " hearing horror stories about ebay turbo kits". Just want to know if anyone has any input on this brand or any other recommended brands. Thanks.

BBD

Link for kit on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBONETICS-...item46022f9e39
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM

... Anyone?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 AM

I want to say that turbonetics is a descent brand. It definitely rings a bell, so thats gotta count for something, right? Not 100% though. Sorry i'm not of much help but hopefully someone will chime in soon enough.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Party Rock Crew

I certainly am not an expert of turbos...but have a few friends who have turbos as mods on several different cars...S2k being one; and they tend to believe that a "kit" is OK for starts, but you will end up changing it soon and could have saved a lot of time and $$ by just creating your own kit...but obviously 2 main components will be your turbo and your ems.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Resident Vigilante

Just a quick question here if you don't mind.

So you are now faster as a driver than this cars capabilities? Meaning you have abundant experience with this vehicles limits, you've pushed it over the edge numerous times and recovered effortlessly and as a result you have outpaced the cars performance envelope, you know what it will do, how to maintain complete control every single time, how to avoid mistakes in judements regardless of driving conditions or circumstance and therefore you are willing to spend money for more power and raise this cars potential to meet your finely honed driving skills in an effort to move you both to the next level of performance?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM

If you can't shell out AT LEAST 5 grand you don't have an option for a turbo kit other than a used greddy kit. However, you can get a used supercharger kit for under 3 grand and that'll give you a great power gain. You'll need to upgrade your clutch also so set aside at least 1000 for parts and labor there too (OEM disk with an ACT pressure plate is a very common clutch setup for under 500whp)
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM

So you are now faster as a driver than this cars capabilities? Meaning you have abundant experience with this vehicles limits, you've pushed it over the edge numerous times and recovered effortlessly and as a result you have outpaced the cars performance envelope, you know what it will do, how to maintain complete control every single time, how to avoid mistakes in judements regardless of driving conditions or circumstance and therefore you are willing to spend money for more power and raise this cars potential to meet your finely honed driving skills in an effort to move you both to the next level of performance?

well, no............but that sweet,sweet sound of the bov makes my jeans shrink...

oh, sorry. I thought you were talking to me.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by s2kx2 View Post
That wasn't a quick question, John. You know I'm an OEM gal 99% of the time and I'm all for not messing with what some very intelligent engineers have designed, but this guy owns his S and can do what he wants. I personally thought his question was well phrased and reasonable, as opposed to some of the ricer types who wander in, have no respect whatsoever and jump in with "hi I'm 17, never drove rwd or stick before, I want one of these, which one's best to slap a turbo on," all in the same breathe.

There are people here who can answer what the OP asked so I think we should let them do so, rather than interrogate the guy on his driving ability.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Resident Vigilante

With all due respect Roseanne. Most posts like this are from drivers who have no clue where they and their S2000 fit before they go out and possibly (more than likely) place themselves and their car at greater risk of harm. And for what? "More power". Its tiring. Search the forums here and the other S2000 sites, there are countless posts regarding supercharging, turbocharging what to do, how to do it, the gains and pitfalls of each. With your driving experience and coming from a high performance driving school I would think this would be a positive thing to question any fellow S2000 owner. Personally, I don't give a rip what anyone does with their car. Oh sure, I may one day when my cars are being eyed by those who blew theirs up as a possible donor car. Then again, perhaps the more S2000s are modded, turbo-ed, supercharged, wrecked, ruined, parted out that will make the OEM cars more desirable ... So ... Thanks! ... Modify on Garth! ...

Last edited by s2kx2; 04-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Party Rock Crew

LOL, you know it is going to be good when the post begins: With all due respect....
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

fwiw i wish my s was faster in a straight line. why? because i want it faster.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM

With all due respect Roseanne....
LOL!

The short of it is, the OP asked a specific question respectfully and I think he deserves an answer to his question. The answer may be, "that brand is a POS and I've had personal experience with them blowing up; don't waste your money; save up and get a supercharger," or the answer might be, "Yeah, I've worked with that brand and they are good turbos." Either way, he was very clear about what he asked and he was a reasonable sort about it. I don't think it's anyone's place to ignore a well asked and reasonable question and instead post something that is somewhat condescending and designed to question his intelligence. And I should know since I'm an expert at writing condescending posts that question other people's intelligence on a regular basis.

I am aware that plenty of people post on this board who are total idiots and who probably shouldn't even own a wrench, let alone a nice car to use it on, but I don't think this particular question is an example of one of those posters. And consequently, I don't think he deserves to take large amounts of grief for asking it.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
LOL, you know it is going to be good when the post begins: With all due respect....
Well, depends on your definition of good. But I admit I thought something along the same lines when I saw that first line too.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Well to those few who answered my question i appreciate it. Thank you Rmurphy for trying to explain to s2kx2 what my intentions were. I dont understand why people care so much about what other do with their cars though? We're all responsible for our own actions so why try to persuade someone away from their plans to spend their own money?? Were all entitled to our own opinion so i guess its ok, but i certainly dont care about your opinion if it doesn't answer my question. Thanks again for any comments you leave.

BBD
Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
official newb

From what I understand turbonetics makes good quality parts but I have no experience with them in a s2 and I haven't seen anyone using them either. Depending on your hp goal you may want to consider superchargers, meaning if you are looking to be around the 300 to 400 mark supercharging can make that power without using a standalone system. If your goal is 500 and above you want to look at mase or greddy turbo kits but you will most likely have to mod those kits to get to that kind of power. An ems is a must also for that kind of power. The pistons and block should hold up fine but you may need head studs and a cam would be nice also.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by BBD324 View Post
Thank you Rmurphy for trying to explain to s2kx2 what my intentions were. I dont understand why people care so much about what other do with their cars though?
Well, don't thank me too quickly. I am the first to jump all over a dweeb who posts "Hey I don't know jack **** but I know I want to strap a blower on this baby as soon as I buy one so everybody here tell me how to do it and, while you are at it, tell me why this car is so great and convince me why I should buy one to replace my beemer." LOL! Those guys just **** me off because yeah, half the time they are going to just destroy a perfectly good car which they don't even know how to drive. But you didn't post something like that so I see no point in giving you grief.

The S2000 is a refined example of a performance automobile and I am of the opinion that there is little that most of us could do that will really improve on the package as a whole, but that doesn't mean my opinion is the right one. Well, okay, it IS the right one, but I've decided not to be as openly arrogant as I am on the inside.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM

The S2000 is a refined example of a performance automobile and I am of the opinion that there is little that most of us could do that will really improve on the package as a whole
No Murph.....you were correct. So humble a driver, I yearn to be.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
official newb

I took a few minutes to read the listing and it is not a turbonetics kit, it is actually a Godspeed kit with a turbonetics turbo. Don't waste your time or money.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

With all due respects, after Experiencing a 900 degree right hand turn im my S, after a brief rainstorm, I actually read every word in this post. While I agree with Ms Murphy, I personally appreciated s2k's wise words that might actually impact the bozo type later described by Roseann from wrapping him/herself around the nearest tree ....... And thus ruining a perfectly good S! ....not to mention personal bodily harm!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Mr. Riley Wilson

Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
fwiw i wish my s was faster in a straight line. why? because i want it faster.
Turbo, me too as are many here. Why is there a reluctance for improvements??