Turbo without EMS!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
FINALLY! :)

Turbo without EMS!

Hello S2k owners! Just got a 2003 ap1 silver with red interior, 141,000mi.. Came with koni adjustable shocks, TEIN springs, just added a front lip and side strakes.. Looks really clean.. FUN CAR.. Soooo question is.. I just got a generic turbo kit, gonna install it, run about 4-5psi but not going to add injectors, nor EMS, nor fuel pump etc.. Just want it for show and the BOV noise cruiser/daily driver. I live in the mcallen, texas area and there are noooo shops who tune.I KNOW I'm gonna get hammered on this but how safe is this? I DO NOT race anymore.. (I have other cars for that) And what should I expect? Input and criticism is VERY appreciated haha!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
S2000.com Sponsor

do you have a link to the turbo kit you bought? at the bare minimum you need something to raise the fuel pressure...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Dismember

You want it for a blow off noise cruiser?(!) shoulda got n SRT4, thats all those fanboys care about.

Why can't u just enjoy the S for what it is? 141K on the block and u want boost without any prep...at least do a compression test first, sounds like trouble.

Sorry to be so forward, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
THE STIG

What do you care..... You're selling it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

I don't have the link to it.. It's one of those godspeed copy kat kits that I got off eBay.. I bought one or a 11sec prelude that I have and it works just fine.. But the prelude is having alot of problems with the tuning now(spoon p13 v4 ecu with obd 1 conversion, sleeved h22 engine, eagle rods, pistons and well the list goes on) started bogging out at full throttle but that's 16psi!!! Well about the S I don't want to go through the headache anymore.. The s is a fun car even after owning a c6 corvette and 2010 Camaro.. It's just to scare those trans ams and camaros when I pass by.. The woooosh!! U know.. It's a beautiful sound. So should I slap it on? Kit was only 700 with piping and down pipe that suprisingly fits very well with VERY minor modification..PLUS.. Doesn't an s with an intercooler look SWEET?!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM

I was thinking about the srt 4 but... IT'S an NEON!! Chics don't dig neons lol.. And the Evo.. Not very reliable as Honda.. And subura.. Never owned one.. Plus.. All these cars HAVE been ragged out by their previous owners.. SOMETHINGs gotta give soon.. Like the turbos on the SRT were going out at 20,000mi
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM

So should I slap it on?

you're slapping something, knucklehead.

methinks it's yer pee-pee.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
What do you care..... You're selling it.
+1 Yeah, you noticed that for sale thread describing this exact same car, eh?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
+1 Yeah, you noticed that for sale thread describing this exact same car, eh?
Yup.....
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Yeah I am selling it too.. Is there something wrong with that? Well I guess I'll just "slap it" on.. And get a fuel press regulator.. If anyone else has some more advice it will be greatly appreciated. And the reason I care is cause If I end up liking it.. I'm NOT gonna sell it
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Micro-s2k View Post
Yeah I am selling it too.. Is there something wrong with that?
You don't have enough posts to qualify to sell anything on this forum yet. I believe the link to that info was provided to you in your FS thread.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Bug Zapper

Is it spring break or something? Maybe the looney bin had its big end of the month release day???

Where to these weirdos come from.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Aahhh didn't know that.. It's like being in the military.. Where seniority matters lol!! Anyways I guess I'll just have to INSTALL the kit.. Thanx again
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM

Soooo if ur calling me a weirdo.. Ur insulting Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, Robert Oppenheimer, Henry ford, and the other great inventors! I'm not inventing something, but I am trying to figure something out when asking for help just as all these other great men did and got laughed at and rejected... Trail by error I guess thanx again "non official s2000 forum"
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM

ok.. why bother to get a turbo if you are only looking for the sound????
get one of those:
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Sound-Ma.../dp/B004IV8NBU
Honda managed to make 240hp out of a 2.0L engine, that was already a lot of stress on the engine, if you are going to increase hp without any other upgrades( fuel pump, ecu with proper mapping, hiflow exhaust and cat, etc) then you are going to destroy your car fast.
140K is a lot of miles. my 01 has little under half of what you have, if you are trying to destroy it might as well find another car first.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Soooo if ur calling me a weirdo..
There has been a recent increase in oddball postings in the last week and yours fall into that category.

Aahhh didn't know that.. It's like being in the military..
It's a sticky post at the very top of the FS section directly above where you posted your new FS thread and directly below the New Thread button that you had to click on to create your FS post. It is titled "**For Sale thread rules** Please read!!! " I can see why you would miss it.

If this were like the military, you'd be doing push ups and pulling KP duty or cleaning latrines about now.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Soooo if ur calling me a weirdo.. Ur insulting Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, Robert Oppenheimer, Henry ford, and the other great inventors! I'm not inventing something, but

then why would these great inventors be insulted ?

no worries though, as dead people rarely get insulted.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM

As my good Mexican friend says FAK IT! man y can't forums ever be ACTCUAL forums.. Not clicks or clubs... We come and seek info and then get boooed or stoned like outcasts!?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
House of CR.

I like this idea better, who needs a turbo when you can have a V8!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM

I wasn't in the military but Iam a special response and tactical trained.. I have done my fair share of push ups, sleep depravation, MREs etc etc I don't have to go on.. Point is.. I just asked what will happen and if it can be done if I dont burn rubber everyday or rev up the motor like immature ricers.. That's it!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
House of CR.

Install it with low boost and you should be fine. If may run fine without further tuning.*

* The views expressed are not those of a professional mechanic, turbo or tuning expert and should not be presumed as the gospel truth regarding it's install, operation or performance. Individual performance may vary according to the operator and his right foot.
Ka-boom Performance Co.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM

As my good Mexican friend says FAK IT! man y can't forums ever be ACTCUAL forums.. Not clicks or clubs... We come and seek info and then get boooed or stoned like outcasts!?
I have had the same issue in this forum. That is why any time i have questions about upgrades or putting mods on my S i ask my mechanics who have too much experience with Hondas.. Not here cuz all they say is "2.0L 240 hp built great the way it is... Honda engineers made it the way they did for a reason..." all this crap thats against modding your car.. anyways.. Good luck with the project!

BBD
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Bug Zapper

Take it or leave it brah. We aint here to wipe your butt and tell you what you wanna here. We leave that for your mommy to do.

Its true that people around here have a lot of respect for the car as it was built (and whats wrong with that, its a great car as is) which is why it seems strange that you are trying to turbo a car that you are also attempting to sell.

Do you see our dillema? Why get invested in helping you, when you arent even going to own the car in a minute? We are actually helping the next owner by dissuading you from F#$%ing it up.

Feel free to show yourself to the exit if you dont like these simple truths.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM

True.. All i gotta say is that we buy our owns cars and we do whatever the hell we wanna do with them. We are all entitled to our own opinions on what we should and shouldnt do to the amazing S. I havent done anything yet to it, but plan to in the future. After all, forums are meant for personal advice and recommendations so we should be willing to hear what people have to say when we ask for it ..

BBD

Last edited by BBD324; 03-29-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Just installed the kit! Runs GREAT at 4lbs!! Bov sounds sweet! VASNISHING POINT.. Thank you for your opinion. Forums would be better if people say "should be fine" or "add just a bit of fuel" or "maybe a chip" or "sounds like a good project let us know".. And yes.. I DID install it myself less than a day
Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM

pics of install, or you're F.O.S.

jagg
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
pics of install, or you're F.O.S.

LOL! Does he need to put a newspaper in the pic to prove the date and time too?

I want video, dammit!

OP, sorry you didn't like the responses you got. Hope your project went smoothly for you. It's your car, do what you want. But of course if you ask for people's opinions, you're going to get whatever you get and some of them will be useful to you and some of them won't.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 AM
THE STIG

Pics!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM
normal aspiration

your car, do as you will. i don't know a thing about FI except that it does make an S2000, which is a very dependable high perf car, much less dependable, but more high perf. i like the car the way it is--my opine. as i said, do as you will. i cannot offer help, only an opinion, and we all know about that.

GLWS

btw: you are taking up a good bit of bandwidth and OČ around here--take that for what you will.

love,

beeb

Last edited by bbcricketta; 04-02-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: doin' pushups, cleanin' weapons, preparin' for the apocalypse
Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 PM

I would highly recommend to not run your car without a proper EMS and tune. If you had done your research first, you would notice that the people with the reliable turbo builds and with the most experience would agree that the make or break point usually comes down to the tune. Crappy no-name turbo set ups can be enjoyed for a long time with proper tune the same way a reputable, name brand turbo set up can go to the crapper if not properly tuned.
With that said, you can probably be ok to run it with the very mild boost all the way to the nearest tuning shop. Be careful with it and don't let a good car go to waste because of carelessness. Glad everything has worked out so far.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Resident Vigilante

Here we go again ... Thank you!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Ka-boom Performance Co.

any takers that it doesn't last 1000 miles before it totally leans out and grenades the engine ?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM

at 4-5psi you can likely get away with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a E.S.M. like the comptech setups use.

Also when you say generic turbo kit do you mena the ebay one? That turbo has a known and VERY HIGH failure rate causeing damage to the engine. Do a quick search over on s2ki
Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 PM

No kidding jsenclosures...

eek - no ems and china brand turbo, terrible terrible combination.

I guess the easy way to figure it...if a new engine costs $3-5k and ems+tune = $2k...why not play it safe, get more reliable and better performance and get the ems?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
ok.. why bother to get a turbo if you are only looking for the sound????
get one of those:
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Sound-Ma.../dp/B004IV8NBU
Honda managed to make 240hp out of a 2.0L engine, that was already a lot of stress on the engine, if you are going to increase hp without any other upgrades( fuel pump, ecu with proper mapping, hiflow exhaust and cat, etc) then you are going to destroy your car fast.
140K is a lot of miles. my 01 has little under half of what you have, if you are trying to destroy it might as well find another car first.
You my friend are stupid, Honda designed these cars and motors perfectly. Little to no flaws in these cars. Somebody made 713 hp on STOCK INTERNALS. All he had done was Inline Pro Head Gasket and ARP head studs and a very good tune.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Look at some point i was driving around half boosted without an ems or injectors.. even if you were able to raise the fuel pressure for it i believe the stock ecu will pull timing. I think..

Like everyone else will tell you get an EMS is like 1500 + shipping. just spend it. Ill even give you a map for 7psi which you can adjust to your settings...