Turbo or Supercharger?? - Page 3 - S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Forced Induction / Nitrous
Turbo or Supercharger?? >

Turbo or Supercharger??

Turbo or Supercharger??

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Silver_06_S2k View Post
I think i've decided on turbo as my choice for boost. Anyone know what the best kit, and anyone know of any good wrench shops in southern cali that will install?
turbo-kits.com has a great turbo kit for your car. as you can see this is my first post so i have made research for bolt ons. i am in the market to buy a s2000 sometime soon. i will keep it stock for a while but plan big things for this car. fully built motor and head, and with a gt35, 1600cc injectors and aem, hopefully somewhere in the 550-600whp area with a clutch to handle the tq. for those with the "BLOW-OFF VALVE SOUND" lovers, if you want a loud high pitch release, greddy type s or hks ssqv, but i will be going with either a tial or a hks racing, sputtery noise, sounds like a turkey sometimes. lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM

I was looking into a sc but they are so dam expensive is there any better deal than the comptech or vortec
Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Resident Vigilante

Both will shorten the lifespan of your engine. After talking to Steve at Makestar Honda he releated to me that they are replacing another S2000 engine after a Comptech supercharger starved the engine of oil. In my opinion don't waste your money for the minimal gain in off the line performance.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

HE got banned?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Just added the Greddy turbo kit onto my car. It is a plug and play system, but for sure I'm going to need some tunning done to make it runs perfectly with the car!

More about this installation here on www.S2KCA.com
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=18084
Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 PM

Lookin good. As far as turbos go I dont think you can beat the greddy kit price wise.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
Lookin good. As far as turbos go I dont think you can beat the greddy kit price wise.
yes. It has came down on price since introduction. But you may get carry away and add more stuffs onto what is not already supplied with the kit like; BOV, Oill Cooler, Boost control, and Turbo Timer. Yes, overall it is a very good buy and the quality is top notch

Last edited by karnito; 10-14-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
"Enjoy the drive"

Congrats. Looks good.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks marlins
Old 10-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I was wonderin' where you've been n' what you've been up to 'nito. 'Looks like you're gonna be out havin' some serious fun. 'Nice, clean job.
Now all'ya goddadoo is keep it oud'a the high grass.
Be well.
Java
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
I was wonderin' where you've been n' what you've been up to 'nito. 'Looks like you're gonna be out havin' some serious fun. 'Nice, clean job.
Now all'ya goddadoo is keep it oud'a the high grass.
Be well.
Java
Thanks Java.

I have always been here.

Yeah, the kit is very nice and clean. It need to be tuned, and that is what I'm going to do for this week. Track day is in 3 weeks
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Did you pay to have it installed? If so, what was the total hours required and total bill for installation?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Did you pay to have it installed? If so, what was the total hours required and total bill for installation?
Yes. I paid $700 to a well known shop to installed the kit. It took a total of 2 days to be exact.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

Originally Posted by karnito View Post
Just added the Greddy turbo kit onto my car. It is a plug and play system, but for sure I'm going to need some tunning done to make it runs perfectly with the car!

More about this installation here on www.S2KCA.com
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=18084
Hey did you every get the redline fixed from 7g? What was the problem?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

I love both but hp wise turbo all the way. Lets not try to put performance and reliability in the same sentence.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2002S2K View Post
Hey did you every get the redline fixed from 7g? What was the problem?
Yes I did this morning. The problem was the software that came with the e-manage. Contacted GReddy and they email me the updated MAP and e-manage software to upload the new MAP. Sure enough, rev all the way to 9k after that. The new MAP also cured the stalling problem at idle. Pretty easy, and cool, the upload process took about 45 seconds.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM

How much money did you have to spend above and beyond the kit to get what you "need"? Is the Greddy ready to run? I'm debating on SC vs. Turbo. I need to get over to Horsepower Freaks in Portland and start asking questions I guess!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 AM

How much money did you have to spend above and beyond the kit to get what you "need"? Is the Greddy ready to run? I'm debating on SC vs. Turbo. I need to get over to Horsepower Freaks in Portland and start asking questions I guess!
My car is running perfect at the moment, but I'm not happy with the dyno figure yet, so I have to spend more then expected.

Bolt on GReddy kit will get you an instant gratification without a doubt, but then you are going to want more once the short honey moon is over, and here are the break down for you. So choose wisely... and remember that the turbo is capable of 21 lbs of boost and tunning is required beyond 7.5 lbs, and that is where it can get very expensive..

Bolt on and be happy with it. Where I was.

GReddy kit $4,050.00
Installation $700.00
Dyno $100

Total $4,850.00

Xtra stuffs that you would want to obtain 300 HP plus at the wheels. Where I am.

GReddy BOV installed $280
GReddy turbo timer $125
Thermal wrapping $150
GReddy SUS EVO2 exhaust $1,300
GReddy oil cooler installed $600
Test pipe installed $100
GReddy boost control $500
GReddy boost gauge $120

Total $3,175.00

If a SC system can get you 300 hp at the wheel for less then go for it. Or do the turbo kit and upgrade moderately and slowly...

Last edited by karnito; 10-19-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Vortec claims 358hp with their SC kit, which would probably be a tad over 300hp at the wheels. I guess if you want more power for a daily driver, then the SC is the way to go? Seems if you wanted to build your motor to handle mucho boost and make big hp then the turbo is a good place to start.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Vortec claims 358hp with their SC kit, which would probably be a tad over 300hp at the wheels. I guess if you want more power for a daily driver, then the SC is the way to go? Seems if you wanted to build your motor to handle mucho boost and make big hp then the turbo is a good place to start.
Do check with fello S2K with SC setup for real feedback and HP figures.

On my turbo setup I feel trememndous torque & power increase right after @ 4000 rpm all the way to vtec, then it slowdown a bit then goes to redline.

I still have to do some more adjustment to make the whole operation running smoothly Will update more in a week when the new exhaust is installed.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Coolio. I bet the exhaust will make a big difference with the forced induction. I wouldn't bother getting it tuned before the exhaust. It will probably put you back to square one and require new mapping. At least thats how it is with sportbikes and thats where I came from to the S2000.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

I think most people average around 300 whp with the vortech kit depending on temp altitude and so on. I havent gotten mine dynoed yet. I am all about turbos but for what I will use the car for the sc is perfect for me.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Yeap. Turbo is a much different animal.. I have to learn how to drive my car all over again; especially, clutch modulation and throttle. hmmmm...
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM
poor coasty

Location: panama city flordia tell the coast guard sends me some were new.
the war rages on

this is a battle that nobody will ever really win. what it all comes down to is personal preferance (i cant spell just warning everybody). i am going to go supercharger even though all my friends say turbo. they all own evos and the such but there always down needing to fix the tune or they broke something. i just want to have some power and not need to do that every time the weather changes. plus you know about the turbo bug " man mi car is running great i am going to turn up the boost" month laterit goes up agian and agian and agian till blown engine. seen it alot. i wan to bolt it on and forget about it.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:47 PM

i personally prefer turbo but its also to the point on the type of driving you want, the power your aiming for, and relability you want.. good luck with your choice
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
needs both lanes

Here are a couple of thoughts.
Turbo charging sounds better, is more elite, more european.
Supercharging has an annoying whine instead of a scream, is more american and typically comes on earlier in the rpm range.
I prefer turbos, however i have a friend with a turbo S2000 and it spins tires at 6500 rpm almost always, even at 90 mph. this can be detuned, i understand, but in the end for every day tractable driving i think the supercharging makes more sense, it's also easier tech and install wise, and you can keep your cool headers.
IMHO
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 AM

I have a friend with a Kraftswerks and it's really quiet.. and fast
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM

wow you are so ignorant that i had to sing into this forum just to inform you on how stupid you sound first of all the srt-4 is a great platform yes it may be fwd but the motor in that car is phenomenal and if you ever owned one you would be aware of this the fact that the car and its tiny turbo as you would put it could easily make well over 300hp and damn near 400lbs of TQ with around 300$ and thats not including nitrous and that says that you have no idea what you are talking about and you opinion is as worthless as this comment you made about some one else preference and taste in vehicles!.... i would suggest stop being such fool and read fact before saying something so stupid .... and even though i know own a s2000 i was a srt-4 stg3-r owner and i can tell you the difference in the way these two motors make power is astonishing you will never expiriance tq in a four banger like you do in a srt-4 ....
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Oh my goodness, just where to start?
Originally Posted by nsty_loki View Post
wow you are so ignorant that i had to sing into this forum
Singing doesn't seem to be your forte. While you were singing, you also apparently signed into S2000.com.
just to inform you on how stupid you sound
You might want to look into a mirror.
first of all the srt-4 is a great platform
Great platform? Sure, if you insist. Great car? Ummm, not so much.
yes it may be fwd but the motor in that car is phenomenal and if you ever owned one you would be aware of this the fact that the car and its tiny turbo as you would put it could easily make well over 300hp and damn near 400lbs of TQ
You appear to be the queen of run-on sentences and at the moment, you're also the holder of the longest sentence (rant) without punctuation. Congratulations (or something). Now 400 lbs of TQ is pretty impressive, but torque is measured in foot-pounds. Also, you seem to overlook the fact that the S2k produces over 200 horsepower without adding a "tiny turbo".
with around 300$ and thats not including nitrous
I can guarantee we weren't including nitrous. A bag of Fritos and a 1 liter bottle of Coke...well, that's a different story.
and that says that you have no idea what you are talking about and you opinion is as worthless as this comment you made about some one else preference and taste in vehicles!
Are you being ironic? I realize "this comment you made" is worthless, but I'm wasting 10 or 15 seconds to make fun of you anyway. As to whether anyone has an idea of what it is they're talking about, where are your credentials? Did you graduate from GED Advanced English?
.... i would suggest stop being such fool and read fact before saying something so stupid ....
It probably wouldn't hurt for you to take your own advice. Getting all spun up over a post that's just short of ancient (November 2006? A resurrection for sure), without the mitigating influence of alcohol infused, adult beverages, has a nebulous return on the emotional investment.
and even though i know own a s2000 i was a srt-4 stg3-r owner and i can tell you the difference in the way these two motors make power is astonishing you will never expiriance tq in a four banger like you do in a srt-4 ....
You may "know own" a s2000 (commendable, we're honored you deigned to join us), but the difference in the way these two make power is, surprisingly enough, pretty much minimal. Controlled explosions. The S2000 doesn't require a turbo to produce power, it relies on engineering. The SRT-4 (a "4-banger" in your parlance) happens to make power in quite the same fashion, it just needs a turbo to make that phenomenal "over 300hp". Now I've never been lucky enough to "expiriance" a SRT-4 but I have driven a few vehicles that make enormous amounts of horsepower and torque and I can tell you that short of race course or drag strip (if you're so inclined), you will never need more than about a tenth of all that power and torque. In the long run, this screed sounds like a "mine is bigger than yours" protestation.

Last edited by kgf3076; 07-06-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 AM

the fact that you have to comment on my grammar on a forum only tell me that your upset about hearing the truth im pretty sure your just another honda fan boy that has never ventured outside of honda so thats all you know lol unlike you ive built hondas subarus and yes even a srt-4 and though you may say it makes this phenomenal hp n/a! tq is a by product of hp and the srt happens to make both great hp and tq so yes it may make it by using a turbo but dont blame dodge for using a turbo when honda has the same ability ok thats all just an excuse and sing well its called a typo you idiot this is a forum not a class room so stick to the subject instead of using my GRAMMAR to try to suggest that you are in some way smarter than me so back to the subject which is that your just another close minded idiot who doesnt know **** .... im just going to ask you this why even hate on srt-4s...? why do you care what another persons preference in a car or performance car even is ...? plain and simple your just a little hater thats wants to justify that your for some reason more mature or smarter than some one that buys a srt-4 by saying little kids drive them ...? sorry to break it to you but thats ignorant people like you who all they do is talk **** about things they do not know is what ruins car scenes and create all the drama! respect other peoples cars and dont lead other people that are just getting into the scene to be as stupid and closed minded as you are if anything if that guy got a ride in a proper srt-4 he might even enjoy it ....so im just simply asking you to stop being a hater and bashing others car just cuz you happen to own a different car your no different than those v8 guys that simply trash talk anything thats not a v8 congrats you are a loser! and im sure your s2k isnt even that impressive in the first place
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Oh my goodness, just where to start?
Singing doesn't seem to be your forte. While you were singing, you also apparently signed into S2000.com.
You might want to look into a mirror.
Great platform? Sure, if you insist. Great car? Ummm, not so much.
You appear to be the queen of run-on sentences and at the moment, you're also the holder of the longest sentence (rant) without punctuation. Congratulations (or something). Now 400 lbs of TQ is pretty impressive, but torque is measured in foot-pounds. Also, you seem to overlook the fact that the S2k produces over 200 horsepower without adding a "tiny turbo".
I can guarantee we weren't including nitrous. A bag of Fritos and a 1 liter bottle of Coke...well, that's a different story.

Are you being ironic? I realize "this comment you made" is worthless, but I'm wasting 10 or 15 seconds to make fun of you anyway. As to whether anyone has an idea of what it is they're talking about, where are your credentials? Did you graduate from GED Advanced English?
It probably wouldn't hurt for you to take your own advice. Getting all spun up over a post that's just short of ancient (November 2006? A resurrection for sure), without the mitigating influence of alcohol infused, adult beverages, has a nebulous return on the emotional investment.
You may "know own" a s2000 (commendable, we're honored you deigned to join us), but the difference in the way these two make power is, surprisingly enough, pretty much minimal. Controlled explosions. The S2000 doesn't require a turbo to produce power, it relies on engineering. The SRT-4 (a "4-banger" in your parlance) happens to make power in quite the same fashion, it just needs a turbo to make that phenomenal "over 300hp". Now I've never been lucky enough to "expiriance" a SRT-4 but I have driven a few vehicles that make enormous amounts of horsepower and torque and I can tell you that short of race course or drag strip (if you're so inclined), you will never need more than about a tenth of all that power and torque. In the long run, this screed sounds like a "mine is bigger than yours" protestation.

and by the way i wasnt talking to you but i guess this post has more than one idiot fan boy who for some reason has to be upset that people like something other than a honda... stfu really people like you baffle me you hate on anything is different that what you like and get upset when some one talks trash about honda when its the people like you who talk the most **** that drive a honda that give honda drivers a bad name ....grow up and respect the fact that some one out there might just like something different
Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
I think he was mocking the 16 year olds with their srt4's that blow off every chance they get cause theyre awesome and love the sound. I also like the bov howver I do not like it when someone blows off just from revving their car infact I cant wait to see one of them spin a bearing or something along those lines when revving the bejebus outa it at a light. Oh and if your car blows off from revving your turbo is to small bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If he didnt meen that then I do.
im pretty sure your just another honda fan boy that has never ventured outside of honda so thats all you know lol unlike you ive built hondas subarus and yes even a srt-4 and your just another close minded idiot who doesnt know **** .... im just going to ask you this why even hate on srt-4s...? why do you care what another persons preference in a car or performance car even is ...? plain and simple your just a little hater thats wants to justify that your for some reason more mature or smarter than some one that buys a srt-4 by saying little kids drive them ...? sorry to break it to you but thats ignorant people like you who all they do is talk **** about things they do not know is what ruins car scenes and create all the drama! respect other peoples cars and dont lead other people that are just getting into the scene to be as stupid and closed minded as you are if anything if that guy got a ride in a proper srt-4 he might even enjoy it ....so im just simply asking you to stop being a hater and bashing others car just cuz you happen to own a different car your no different than those v8 guys that simply trash talk anything thats not a v8 congrats you are a loser! and im sure your s2k isnt even that impressive in the first place
Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM
THE STIG

Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

the fact that you have to comment on my grammar on a forum only tell me that your upset about hearing the truth im pretty sure your just another honda fan boy that has never ventured outside of honda so thats all you know lol unlike you ive built hondas subarus and yes even a srt-4 and though you may say it makes this phenomenal hp n/a! tq is a by product of hp and the srt happens to make both great hp and tq so yes it may make it by using a turbo but dont blame dodge for using a turbo when honda has the same ability ok thats all just an excuse and sing well its called a typo you idiot this is a forum not a class room so stick to the subject instead of using my GRAMMAR to try to suggest that you are in some way smarter than me so back to the subject which is that your just another close minded idiot who doesnt know **** .... im just going to ask you this why even hate on srt-4s...? why do you care what another persons preference in a car or performance car even is ...? plain and simple your just a little hater thats wants to justify that your for some reason more mature or smarter than some one that buys a srt-4 by saying little kids drive them ...? sorry to break it to you but thats ignorant people like you who all they do is talk **** about things they do not know is what ruins car scenes and create all the drama! respect other peoples cars and dont lead other people that are just getting into the scene to be as stupid and closed minded as you are if anything if that guy got a ride in a proper srt-4 he might even enjoy it ....so im just simply asking you to stop being a hater and bashing others car just cuz you happen to own a different car your no different than those v8 guys that simply trash talk anything thats not a v8 congrats you are a loser! and im sure your s2k isnt even that impressive in the first place
Junior, I was driving high-horsepower vehicles of all types while you were still in diapers (if you're even out of them). I have probably driven more and different types of vehicles than you've ever had the opportunity to ride in, much less own. My father was an automotive engineer (if you know and understand what that means) and I spent most of my formative years (if you know what THAT means) in, under, around and with 2 and 4 wheel vehicles. You can talk all you want about SRt-4s, I see so many of them around that they're practically a nuisance. Must be that great Chrysler engineering. The fact that you chose to answer a posting that was almost as old as you appear to be says a lot about how observant you are. Don't mess with your superiors, you'll only have your hind-parts handed to you in a bag. Incidentally, I don't "hate on" Srt's, I dislike people who come out of nowhere with no track record of any kind declaring themselves "experts" on anything. You may like SRT's...okay, I like espresso, so what? You don't exactly have a long and illustrious posting history here (one rant, followed by a second rant) isn't exactly a track record to aim for.

Last edited by kgf3076; 07-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

and by the way i wasnt talking to you but i guess this post has more than one idiot fan boy who for some reason has to be upset that people like something other than a honda...
Well, I am really partial to Hondas, also Ferraris, '67 Corvettes with 427's, Alfa Romeos and the occasional Mercedes Benz. I'm vehicle neutral, I really don't care what you own if you are responsible, mature and can compose a coherent sentence in the English language. So far, your record isn't too good on any of these.
stfu really people like you baffle me you hate on anything is different that what you like and get upset when some one talks trash about honda when its the people like you who talk the most **** that drive a honda that give honda drivers a bad name ....
Oh my goodness, you told me to STFU. That's so mature of you. I'm going to now stop everything I'm doing and study every cogent word you've written (once I figure out where the punctuation goes) so that I can wring out all the embedded knowledge therein. And naughty words. I'll bet your family is really proud that you know big words like that. Better learn to control that urge to spout off you're demonstrating, Skippy. You may run into someone one day who won't laugh at you.
grow up and respect the fact that some one out there might just like something different
I'd suggest you consider taking your own advice. You seem to be good at spouting advice, you just happen to be a bit lax in taking it.

Last edited by kgf3076; 07-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=nsty_loki;234884]im pretty sure your just another honda fan boy that has never ventured outside of honda so thats all you know lol unlike you ive built hondas subarus and yes even a srt-4 and your just another close minded idiot who doesnt know **** .... im just going to ask you this why even hate on srt-4s...? AND THIS LADIES & GENTLEMEN....IS WHY I'D RATHER SHOW YOU,NOT TELL YOU
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

[QUOTE=RealJoKeR;234888]
im pretty sure your just another honda fan boy that has never ventured outside of honda so thats all you know lol unlike you ive built hondas subarus and yes even a srt-4 and your just another close minded idiot who doesnt know **** .... im just going to ask you this why even hate on srt-4s...? AND THIS LADIES & GENTLEMEN....IS WHY I'D RATHER SHOW YOU,NOT TELL YOU
Say what?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Bug Zapper

Should I change this thread to the "blowing off steam" thread? This stuffs better than my daytime TV programs.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
normal aspiration

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Which twin has the Toni?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger??

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.