question? Can i put Comtech SC from ap1 on ap2?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM

question? Can i put Comtech SC from ap1 on ap2?

My question is if i have a ap1 with the comtech supercharger set up on it, but i want to put that supercharger on to the ap2 2004, what problems or issues i am running into? ?
Let me know guys....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM

There are a few areas needing attention.

The drive pulley on the AP1 in stock form is larger than the drive pulley for the AP2 so that it will reach the advertised boost at 8K rpm rather than the AP1's 9K rpm. If you don't mind losing a little boost, just ignore that.

Unless you are using an aftermarket ECU or piggyback, the rising rate fuel pressure regulator (RRFPR) for the AP1 has a slightly less rapid curve. I've had to adjust mine all the way down to 1 thread above the lock nut to get reasonable air-fuel ratios. I've just bought an AP2 RRFPR to replace it.

You may also consider relocating the vacuum solenoid and chamber from the back of the cross member to avoid the long vacuum hose runs. Mine is near the cruise control module.

If you wish to use the CT air box, you will need to relocate the horn (very easily done) and make a cut in the air box to make an allowance for penetration of the horn flange that's welded to the body.

I do not use the CT air box. On my car, that area will be used for a reservoir configuration for a water (not meth) injection system that I'm in the process of fabricating.

You may also want to cut the Connector C section from an old VAFC PnP harness, modify it and use it to make a PnP configuration for your ESM. It avoids hacking the ECU harness.

Last edited by L8Apex; 12-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
There are a few areas needing attention.

The drive pulley on the AP1 in stock form is larger than the drive pulley for the AP2 so that it will reach the advertised boost at 8K rpm rather than the AP1's 9K rpm. If you don't mind adding a little boost, just ignore that.

Unless you are using an aftermarket ECU or piggyback, the rising rate fuel pressure regulator (RRFPR) for the AP1 has a slightly less rapid curve. I've had to adjust mine all the way down to 1 thread above the lock nut to get reasonable air-fuel ratios. I've just bought an AP2 RRFPR to replace it.

You may also consider relocating the vacuum solenoid and chamber from the back of the cross member to avoid the long vacuum hose runs. Mine is near the cruise control module.

If you wish to use the CT air box, you will need to relocate the horn (very easily done) and make a cut in the air box to make an allowance for penetration of the horn flange that's welded to the body.

I do not use the CT air box. On my car, that area will be used for a reservoir configuration for a water (not meth) injection system that I'm in the process of fabricating.

You may also want to cut the Connector C section from an old VAFC PnP harness, modify it and use it to make a PnP configuration for your ESM. It avoids hacking the ECU harness.

And you are my hero.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by slostwok View Post
And you are my hero.
Well, the hero screwed up. You lose boost with the larger pulley
Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the write up. So your suggesting keeping the apt crank pulley?
so if i put the ap1 set up on to the ap2 it will work, is there any ecu work that needs to be done? So am assuming the actual blower is the same ap1 and ap2 ?
sorry for the questions but super chargers are my weakness , don't know much about how they differ on these cars.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by zxnazx(tt) View Post
Thanks for the write up. So your suggesting keeping the apt crank pulley?
I don't think that there's any difference. I'm using the AP1 crank pulley on my AP2.
so if i put the ap1 set up on to the ap2 it will work, is there any ecu work that needs to be done? So am assuming the actual blower is the same ap1 and ap2 ?
Mine works. No ECU work necessary. Just use the ESM to hide the boost transition at the MAP sensor. The blower is not model specific. It's just a blower.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM

and what is the ESM?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM

and what is the ESM?
Without an aftermarket ECU or piggyback, you need a way to mask the manifold air pressure transition that occurs when, (a) under boost, and (b) transitioning to VTEC.

The change to VTEC causes a hiccup (for lack of a better word) in the intake manifold.

The way that CT has chosen to do it is to put a voltage lock device named ESM (ESM = Electronic Signal Modifier) on the signal line from the MAP sensor back to the ECU. So, the ECU never sees the hiccup in the signal that would ordinarily send it into "limp" mode momentarily. It's really a cheap fix for the issue.