Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Forced Induction / Nitrous
Invidia 60mm testpipe installed today, factory exhaust now has no drone. >

Invidia 60mm testpipe installed today, factory exhaust now has no drone.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 PM

I just had to make this point known, I installed the 60mm Invidia test pipe today and to my amaze my Ap1 S2000 doesn't drone near as bad at lower rpms and heavy load. Yes, even the factory exhaust drones a tad. Basically the result of installing the test pipe is sorta like someone cut the bass **** down and increased the treble. It's definitely much more quiet at lower rpms and heavy loads and using a spark plug non-fouler did the trick to eliminate triggering an CEL.

Boy that catalytic converter is heavy, lol.

Less resonance, eliminated drone, regardless of how little drone there was...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Polluter..........booooooo.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
Less resonance, eliminated drone, regardless of how little drone there was...
Congratulations, you now have broken not only the law in the state where you live, you've also broken Federal law. How does it feel to be a felon? And to top it off, you now have one stinking car. Not only does it STINK, it's destroying my ability to breath. I have asthma and you're making it worse. Let me know where you live so I can notify the authorities, I like breathing without using an inhaler.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM
House of CR.

Strife, you might want to check out the Berk High flow cat. instead of that test pipe.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM
The Car Camera Mount Guy

Damn, I swear this crap comes up at least 10 times every year.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Alabama residence, I would have to get down and beg for a citation before a county or municipal officer would right me a ticket for removing emissions equipment. A trooper maybe, and that is a BIG maybe... It would go something like this.

Officer, "I'm writing you a citation for going 65 in a 45."

Cody, " But please officer, I don't have a catalytic converter, please would you write me a citation."

Officer, "No, I don't care."

Cody, "But I insist! ::Shakes his fist::"

Officer, "Umm, no. Now shut up about emissions laws or i'll have no choice but to arrest you for being disorderly with me."

It also depends on population density. It's lauderdale county, not SOCAL.

Maybe its one of those things thats only taken seriously if the state mandates an annual emissions inspection, like Texas and Georgia. In Alabama, they do not never mandate an inspection of the exhaust system, never...

Last edited by Cody Strife; 07-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Strife, you might want to check out the Berk High flow cat. instead of that test pipe.
It was close call and would be viable in a state like Georgia, but I hear from some people an S2000 equipped with a high flow metallic core cat might have problems passing emissions, and it definitely won't in California. I hear they are 70-80 percent efficient over a test pipe of equivalent diameter.

I guess it all goes down to backpressure, the more restrictions it places on the exhaust gases, the more efficient it is at catalyzing. I work at a catalytic converter manufacturing plant. Using the "see through" method, a metal core is pretty easy to look through, a ceramic definitely not.

Now I took the catalytic converter off the S2000 and looked at it, it definitely doesn't appear to be a ceramic core...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Hybrid Hater

I have a test pipe. It does smell funny but with what everyone drives around here im not too worried about it.

Most of Wyoming pollution comes from cows farting so the police officer should put them in jail before me.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Did you notice HP gain after installing the test pipe?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by s2000boy View Post
Did you notice HP gain after installing the test pipe?
Nope, just stink.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
. . . I hear they are 70-80 percent efficient over a test pipe of equivalent diameter . . .
According to Berk their test data shows that the Berk High Flow Cat flows 87% as well as a test pipe.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Party Rock Crew

OP (from way back) is correct the test pipe will remove the drone...but as Ken mentions, it is illegal regardless of what state or area of the country. I ran a test pipe for a few months, just put the cat back on a couple days ago.

I was entertaining the idea of a HFC, but read that they failed when put on cars that are around the 400 hp zone...and that would be me.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Nope, just stink.

No HP gain and just stink what the point of test pipe? Noise?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by s2000boy View Post
No HP gain and just stink what the point of test pipe? Noise?
People with the misbegotten idea that they add power when the engine was designed to run with a Cat..but what the hell does Honda know? After all, if god had wanted cars to be clean, he'd (or she) would have made them run on hydrogen or water or something. Seems that some people don't understand that they're called "TEST PIPES", not "Increase your horsepower pipes". Hard to cure stupid.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM

People with the misbegotten idea that they add power when the engine was designed to run with a Cat..but what the hell does Honda know? After all, if god had wanted cars to be clean, he'd (or she) would have made them run on hydrogen or water or something. Seems that some people don't understand that they're called "TEST PIPES", not "Increase your horsepower pipes". Hard to cure stupid.
I was one that thought the test pipe increase hp and a cheap mod.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Is it just me or does every damn car that has a test pipe installed sound raspy as hell???? I dont know why either poor installation or crap gasket, but damn.. Thats why im sticking to the cat when i get exhaust in the future.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by BBD324 View Post
Is it just me or does every damn car that has a test pipe installed sound raspy as hell???? I dont know why either poor installation or crap gasket, but damn.. Thats why im sticking to the cat when i get exhaust in the future.
When I had mine on it was not "raspy", just loud. I did use new gaskets on both ends.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by starrman View Post
When I had mine on it was not "raspy", just loud. I did use new gaskets on both ends.
+1. Know how you feel starrman....
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM

I have the Berks test pipe with stock exhaust and it doesn't add power as much as response. It responds way better with the test pipe. And to KGF I believe the cat does hold the car back a little its just there for emissions and the test pipe has and o2 sensor and it doesn't throw a check engine code so it can't be polluting that much.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Congratulations, you now have broken not only the law in the state where you live, you've also broken Federal law. How does it feel to be a felon? And to top it off, you now have one stinking car. Not only does it STINK, it's destroying my ability to breath. I have asthma and you're making it worse. Let me know where you live so I can notify the authorities, I like breathing without using an inhaler.
Umm, 1 - there are people who can just barely fail emmissions with a test pipe, so its not that bad
2- if you are so upset about air quality go and write a letter or something about suppressed free energy technology that has been around since 1902. look it up
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Interesting statement. If you do some research you will find that exhausts on our cars will get significantly more gain if paired with a test pipe, and if you are FI there are people that gain 20whp, this has been proved many times with Dyno tunes to prove it. catalysts are huge restrictions on exhaust flow, you cant 'design out' that restriction with the shape/size of the headers/exhaust mani, or cam duration