Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top replacement?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Convertible Top replacement?

Hey Dudes my top started to tear behind the door window. I was wondering how hard it is to replace it myself. Got a quote for $1200 for a cheap one and $1600 for a good one that's installed too. I'm in the So Cal area if anyone knows of a better deal. I'm starting to get discouraged about all the repairs I'm coming into, my money is going FASTER then the car is!Name:  CHAZPIX003.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  100.6 KB
Old 08-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Hey Chaz, Do you have the shop manual? I believe it has details on top replacement. You can buy a 3rd party top online for about 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/homepage.html
Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

yeah, those prices are killer... i did mine myself (with the help of a friend)...its not easy but it can be done in a long day.. check this link for a good idea of what you'll be doing..it helped me a lot... http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...T&f=1&t=448840 oh, and the pics show taking out the seats, which i didn't do...coulda helped, but not absolutely necessary.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
Hey Chaz, Do you have the shop manual? I believe it has details on top replacement. You can buy a 3rd party top online for about 5 or 6 hundred dollars.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/homepage.html
+1 i got mine off this site, the top quality is great. $550 for the one with glass.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks Dudes! I do have a manual but it is very vague, so I might check around for a better deal on the install. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm looking to order a replacement with glass for my AP1 and trying to choose between the Robbins and EZ-on. Does anyone recommend spending the extra for a Robbins? If so, what's the reason? I plan to get cloth this time around.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Dismember

Chaz and rattpak,

check out my post and problems related to EZ-ON install....

https://www.s2000.com/forums/exterio...oth-top-w.html

I was told by autotopsdirect that the material was the same but that is as much as I could get out of them. I went w/ EZ-ON because of price difference. I found the EZ-ON instructions to be poorly written as the tutorials on the forum are much better. The punch holes for the rain guard were not properly alligned; this made me unsure if I should follow the holes fabric or plastic trim around fabric edges. I ended up using the plastic and the rear fitment came out great.

I did, however, miss an instruction because of the poor set which created a bunch I have since resolved. (See post) That specific area was also mis-punched which meant I had to use best judgement again. I followed the punch thru the plastic, using a heated scribe to melt fabric (so I did not tear.) So, after going back in problem area and securing fabric, my OCD made me go back in and tighten the area that was still lightly bunched.

It looks great now and I get a lot of compliments re: gray on gray. I could do another in half the time but still deem the workmanship of top rather poor. At the end of the day, I would have to recommend Robbins as they have a been around longer- and i just have to assume it is better than the EZ-ON which, IMHO, just don't pay enough attention to detail.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info. That gray on gray sure is sharp.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Dismember

Originally Posted by rattpak View Post
Thanks for the info. That gray on gray sure is sharp.
Thanks!

I had looked everywhere for a photo of a gray top on S and could not find one. I got a sample from autotopsdirect then went the fabric store to get a larger sample. I think it turned out nicely.

If I were in the custom car biz, I would have custom ordered an urban camo material and custom painted car to match- I think that would look sick.

GL w/ ur choice and install, hit me up if you have any questions.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM

I did the ez glass conversion at the beginning of the summer, was gonna tackle it myself with a couple of my petrolsexual friends but the instructions where....lacking clarity so I paid 450 for the install 500 for the top and after seeing all the new drilled holes and extra straps I would have been a nervous wreck driving knowing I installed it 450= s-loads of piece of mind. I am very plzed with the new top looks great , glass is awesome. only down side it still leaks in heavy rain at the front window corner.
p.s my ez top is identical to the orig minus the glass conversion, color blk not gry. same fabric as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-S2000-9...item415d1d1194

Last edited by GUNVOLVO; 09-15-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Dismember

Originally Posted by GUNVOLVO View Post
I did the ez glass conversion at the beginning of the summer, was gonna tackle it myself with a couple of my petrolsexual friends but the instructions where....lacking clarity so I paid 450 for the install 500 for the top and after seeing all the new drilled holes and extra straps I would have been a nervous wreck driving knowing I installed it 450= s-loads of piece of mind. I am very plzed with the new top looks great , glass is awesome. only down side it still leaks in heavy rain at the front window corner.
p.s my ez top is identical to the orig minus the glass conversion, color blk not gry. same fabric as well.
Glass is defintely a nice upgrade- and I prefer the low profile of it compared to the stock. Similar to pin-striping it gives the rear a sleeker, even lowered look.

RE: your window leak. Check those rubber seals...if they bunch at all they are not alligned correctly and will leak. I had the same problem but I pulled them off, reseated and they no longer leak.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by StrayS2k View Post
Glass is defintely a nice upgrade- and I prefer the low profile of it compared to the stock. Similar to pin-striping it gives the rear a sleeker, even lowered look.

RE: your window leak. Check those rubber seals...if they bunch at all they are not alligned correctly and will leak. I had the same problem but I pulled them off, reseated and they no longer leak.
interesting I figured id have to change them so ive held off.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM

For someone that is trying to put in a soft top that previous owner gave away/sold...is there somewhere with a list of the oem hardware (nuts/bolt) necessary for reinstallation? I need to buy them but am not sure where to start since I don't know what I'm missing and what I'm not.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
For someone that is trying to put in a soft top that previous owner gave away/sold...is there somewhere with a list of the oem hardware (nuts/bolt) necessary for reinstallation? I need to buy them but am not sure where to start since I don't know what I'm missing and what I'm not.
Try MajesticHonda.com prices are good and the website will help you out.