Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single vs. dual exhaust.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Single vs. dual exhaust.

I just recently purchased an s2000, and when I got under it to look at the exhaust, I noticed it wasn't actually dual, it's just split.

So uh, other than being lighter, and having more back pressure, what would be the advantages of having a single exhaust.

anyone have an gain comparisons?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Not sure about adantages, but I've heard some singles put some duals to shame...lol
Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Site Owner

Most duals are just for sound. Single weigh less and give more hp. Many exhausts such as the HKS exhaust loose a couple of peak hp, but gain like 4-5hp mid-range. Since we have an inline 4, dual exhaust isn't really there like the v engines have.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Philosopher

Duals look better. All performance cars should have duals. It should be a law. Those coffee can size singles just look goofy on an "S". I see them on the pseudo hot-rod 4 door grocery getters and they still look goofy, but those cars look goofy so it fits. If your 17 and like that look, go for it. It's your car, make it the way you want it.

(sorry, didn't mean to offend the 17 year olds, too much coffee today)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by DJJSR View Post
Duals look better. All performance cars should have duals. It should be a law. Those coffee can size singles just look goofy on an "S". I see them on the pseudo hot-rod 4 door grocery getters and they still look goofy, but those cars look goofy so it fits. If your 17 and like that look, go for it. It's your car, make it the way you want it.

X2
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM

So if you want a exhaust that is lighter and has better flow youre a 17 year old. Good to know only 17 year olds are into performance. Must be why I put a dual on my car the second time around.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Village Pyro

ya and at the age of 17 I didnt know shat.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
"Enjoy the drive"

As stated, singles seem to improve performance more than a dual. Personally, I like to look of the dual better.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 PM

You can get 10 pound dual systems and 10 pond singles. Do to the resonant frequency of a 4 cylinder, a single will be very loud compared to a dual.

Jonathan
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
fr3sh2d3f

Go with the single for sure. Dyno proven to put down more hp then dual exhaust. I'd personally go with spoon.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 AM
poor coasty

Location: panama city flordia tell the coast guard sends me some were new.
daul

i have the daul indivia and it have to be the best sounding honda i have ever heard. a few of my friends have the singles and they realy start to sound like rice after v tec kicks
Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned for Life

And have you ever seen a Civic or Integra with "Dual Exhaust"? HA-HA. Now thats funny. Especially the ones who have to cut their bumper to fit it in....
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dezignpro04 View Post
And have you ever seen a Civic or Integra with "Dual Exhaust"?
I do not consider a Civic or an Integra a performance car. I guess I'm too old.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Banned for Life

I do not consider a Civic or an Integra a performance car. I guess I'm too old.
Believe me, I NEVER said i did either.. lol

Just thought that it was a funny thing to see.. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM

easy there boys. apparently none of you have ever seen a k20 eg civic or even a b16 eg civic for that matter. a k20 will push out close to the peak power and red line that your f20's and f22's are putting out. not to mention the fact that a civic is lighter than your s2000. but no one seems to think about that
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by B16Civic View Post
easy there boys. apparently none of you have ever seen a k20 eg civic or even a b16 eg civic for that matter. a k20 will push out close to the peak power and red line that your f20's and f22's are putting out. not to mention the fact that a civic is lighter than your s2000. but no one seems to think about that
This thread is over a year old first off, Second I dont doubt that they disagree that a civic can be a faster car, If talking about speed there is always a car out there that is going to be faster than someone else. Being this is an S2000 you can see where the coming from. I owned a civic before and loved it, but always wanted an S now that I have one theres no turning back
Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Philosopher

I have no idea what a k20 or b16 are. My knowledge of 4 bangers is limited. But I do know what a Civic is. The lady next door owns one and she loves it. She drives her kids to school and goes to the grocery store every day, no problems.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 AM

I don't know the performance benefits of dual vs single exhausts but the dual exhaust certainly make the rear of the car look better and more balanced.

No offense mean to anyone but no matter what modifications you make to a Civic it is after all is said and done still a Civic. The only Honda vehicle I ever considered owning is the S2000. Now that it is out of production there are no Honda or even Acura vehicles that I would want to own unless they resurrect the NSX. I did like the prior generation TSX but they even managed to ruin that.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by toms2000; 12-30-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Varietas Delectat

I know a little bit about civics.

This one had 529 whp on a b16 Ran in the low 11's

But it still doesn't come close to comparing with my S2000.

fltsfshr
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 AM
"Enjoy the drive"

I have and yes, they can be made to go fast in a straight line, but that's not what the S2000 is about. Yes, a Civic is lighter than an S2000, and we have also thought about that. I have never met an S2000 owner who would trade his/her stock S2000 for the fastest Civic in the world. There may be one of those owners out there, but I have never met them.

P.S. Welcome to the site. Interesting first post.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Chief Hata in Charge

Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
I have and yes, they can be made to go fast in a straight line, but that's not what the S2000 is about. Yes, a Civic is lighter than an S2000, and we have also thought about that. I have never met an S2000 owner who would trade his/her stock S2000 for the fastest Civic in the world. There may be one of those owners out there, but I have never met them.

P.S. Welcome to the site. Interesting first post.
BOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My how the fish are biting today!
CHOMP!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 AM

personally i like the dual look a whole lot better, and will end up probably goin with a dual....but singles put out more power and will mostly likely be louder
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Computer Blue

Is this what putting lipstick on pig is like?

Yea i doubt any S owners care about a those supd up econoboxes.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pakman08 View Post
....but singles put out more power and will mostly likely be louder
SOMEBODY post a dyno sheet that shows an increase in power just by changing the exhaust system (or installing a test pipe). 'Til then, I don't believe it.

Those phart can exhausts are definitely loud and I guess that makes people think you're making more power. Why not just put some "hemi" stickers on the fenders?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Village Pyro

hey I have one of those phart cans and I rather like it... as abnoxious as it is its kinda fun to go into parking garages and rev
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Philosopher

Ahhhhhhh ........... to be young again.

(just yankin yer chain SM)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Chief Hata in Charge

Originally Posted by TheSoundMan21 View Post
hey I have one of those phart cans and I rather like it... as abnoxious as it is its kinda fun to go into parking garages and rev
You are now "TheFartMan21"
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM

WOW......CREATED A PROFILE TO TAKE A JAB..........LOSER
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Village Pyro

Ahhhhhhh ........... to be young again.

(just yankin yer chain SM)
(Like you have grown up that much DJJSR)

Originally Posted by yashooa View Post
You are now "TheFartMan21"
and yashooa if I am deamed that your going to have to get T6 on the boat for that one also... I also prefer phart to fart.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Chief Hata in Charge

Originally Posted by TheSoundMan21 View Post
(Like you have grown up that much DJJSR)

and yashooa if I am deamed that your going to have to get T6 on the boat for that one also... I also prefer phart to fart.
Hey my MSP has a 3'' stainless steel mandrel bent race exhaust...that ends in a well flowing FART CAN. I too am a PHARTER... Oh the humanity

Hmm..TFART? I think he will be pleased.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
The Cheeziest!

A Civic Has Wrong Wheel Drive.

Most V8's that have a factory dual exhaust also have a single to dual set up just like the S2000.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Ok, this is my first post and my only post, personally, imo, s2ki is a much better forum..
Anyway.
To actually answer op question, single is proven more power, if you need proof, google it....not that hard. You can get several single's for the S that arnt obnoxiously loud. Greddy and HKS both have a decently sounding exhaust and little to no drone and the sound is much better than this guy "Don" makes it out to seem....we all know your old, but you bought a tuner...plain and simple...the s2k is no M3, Boxter, TT, Lotus, Compressor(though i know our little s2k's dont have a hard time keeping up). Obvioulsy, there not going to make the loud "rice" exhausts for those cars, but they do for the hondas because $$ and its a good market(younger crowds like loud exhausts).

Anyway...Then the dual. T1R, J's Racing, and again, Greddy and HKS all make a very good sounding duals, much cleaner chrisp, growly, not farrty sound.

If you want loud, cop irritating, wake your neighbors, ppl pisser-offer exhausts, go with invidia, skunk2, megan racing, Ebay cat back exhaust. J's racing is loud, but its a whicked sounding exhaust so i didnt categorize it with these ^_^ and theres so much more....if you want good info, check out S2ki.com....they have some good threads on exhausts....im not to sure about this forum, i havent done much research here and i bet there is some good info on here
I hope i actually helped out...it all comes down to personal opinion and taste. I loved the look of my dual but went megan single, berk TP, invidia header, custom AEM ram intake(chopped and modified ^_^ ). I have some drone but not much, its a loud exhaust but for what my setup is, the sound is actually pretty nice..loud, but i like it, definetly better than my old dual set up....oh and im 20 so you can consider me a ricer cuz im budgeted and i like to buy my parts for less so i can save for something bigger and better in the end *cough*boosted*cough*tubo*....

Peace s2000 forum.
Jim
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Hybrid Hater

Originally Posted by s2k20 View Post
Ok, this is my first post and my only post, personally, imo, s2ki is a much better forum..
Anyway.
To actually answer op question, single is proven more power, if you need proof, google it....not that hard. You can get several single's for the S that arnt obnoxiously loud. Greddy and HKS both have a decently sounding exhaust and little to no drone and the sound is much better than this guy "Don" makes it out to seem....we all know your old, but you bought a tuner...plain and simple...the s2k is no M3, Boxter, TT, Lotus, Compressor(though i know our little s2k's dont have a hard time keeping up). Obvioulsy, there not going to make the loud "rice" exhausts for those cars, but they do for the hondas because $$ and its a good market(younger crowds like loud exhausts).

Anyway...Then the dual. T1R, J's Racing, and again, Greddy and HKS all make a very good sounding duals, much cleaner chrisp, growly, not farrty sound.

If you want loud, cop irritating, wake your neighbors, ppl pisser-offer exhausts, go with invidia, skunk2, megan racing, Ebay cat back exhaust. J's racing is loud, but its a whicked sounding exhaust so i didnt categorize it with these ^_^ and theres so much more....if you want good info, check out S2ki.com....they have some good threads on exhausts....im not to sure about this forum, i havent done much research here and i bet there is some good info on here
I hope i actually helped out...it all comes down to personal opinion and taste. I loved the look of my dual but went megan single, berk TP, invidia header, custom AEM ram intake(chopped and modified ^_^ ). I have some drone but not much, its a loud exhaust but for what my setup is, the sound is actually pretty nice..loud, but i like it, definetly better than my old dual set up....oh and im 20 so you can consider me a ricer cuz im budgeted and i like to buy my parts for less so i can save for something bigger and better in the end *cough*boosted*cough*tubo*....

Peace s2000 forum.
Jim
People love to bring this thread back from the dead.

O and wow to this post.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:42 PM

get a single and then get the exhaust cap and your car will look right otherwise leave it stock. the duals are heavy and expensive. there are some expensive singles out there too but for 5 to 9 hp i wouldnt pay more than 700
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
General Nuisance

Twice-pipe FTW.