Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holes in the convertible top

Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM

holes in the convertible top

i recently noticed a small 1/2" hole on my top its behind the head rest. its from the metal bar that slids against the vinyl when the top goes up and down. i searched alot of the post on here and im not really satisfied with some of the solutions to this prob. i dont wanna but tape on it lol. i also noticed that in the same spot on the passenger side there is considerable wear how are you guys preventing these wholes and is there a good canvas kit to patch holes that are already present? ive tried alot of auto upholestry places and all the places replace convertible tops but dont do anything with existing holes...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
B.A.M.F.

what year is your car, if you have the plastic back window then i would suggest just getting a new top.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Some'a the best fixes for this kind'a problem have been posted some time back rev. Use the search option n' I think you'll be able to take care of your problem pretty well.
Good luck,
Java
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks red that was the kind of answer i was looking for... yea its an 02' maybe filing down the metal bars would help i think im gonna try that, see how it works and if i dont see anymore holes coming through go with another convertible top, if not i'll just get a hardtop for it
Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM

yea if i was you file it down n get a new soft top with glass window.....jsu my .02 .....
Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Had the same issues in my 01. tried to get honda to take care of the situation but to no avail...unfortunatly they gave me the run around and would not acknowledge the manufacturing defect. I know that the main reason for some of my holes which after the ones behind the seats happend also occured in other areas was do to a few other issues. Other then a poor design on the mechenism the top when down would bounce as driving this would putt added stress on the top and eventually wore holes. Another issue was in the FL heat the two elastic straps on the inside lost all thier elasticity from waether conditions they literally fell apart if you touched them. Sothis also caused some issues. I bought the car used and the previous owner obviously didnt care about it.
I eventually had to replace the top. In all honestly best investment ever. I found a company on E-bay and paid $400 for a replacement. I went with a black cloth instead of the OEM material. The fabic has more give and doesnt fad as fast as well as easyier to maintain and it looks very clean as well as giving a original look. also the back plastic window is bigger.
Also do not get it installed at a dealer....I found an apolstry shop and they did it for $350 so all in all $750 for a top better then the orig and has worked great. The other thing I knoticed that i would be carefull of is when the top is down the "buttons" right behind the seats that hold the cover on can cause some rubbing issues. I just went and got some black velco strips and used the "fuzzy" side and put them over the buttons to reduce wear....

So my advise get a new top....I looked into getting the glass top but becarefull because the frame wasnt ment for that type of tope and im not sure how the mancanics top will fair over time...also wher would the defrost button go or the wiring? seems like over kill...I mean its a summer car right? no need for a defrost...lol
IMO
Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Black Hole patch kit peel and stick

THe Black Hole Patch kit from www.justasign.com should work great. Very strong vinyl nylon self adhesive patch 4 3" circles and 2 5x7 patches for $10.00. They are sold for Ice house patches but should work on a top. Good Luck
Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by TJungroth View Post
THe Black Hole Patch kit from www.justasign.com should work great. Very strong vinyl nylon self adhesive patch 4 3" circles and 2 5x7 patches for $10.00. They are sold for Ice house patches but should work on a top. Good Luck
While this thread is resurrected, I might as well ask if anyone has tried this? Might it actually work well for our tops? It appears to be made to withstand cold weather and external abuse from wind. I have an OEM material patch on my wear spot right now, but even after sanding down the frame I see it wearing a bit on the patch too!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

I just went through this exact problem. I noticed a hole in my soft top while the car was parked at the airport over a recent business trip.

I assumed that someone cut into it, and reported it to the airport police and made an insurance claim. Went to a shop and had the new top installed and they told me they covered the inside hinge with the loop side of Velcro to avoid exess rubbing on the fabric. They told me the S2000 was notorious for wear in that exact spot.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rev9k View Post
i recently noticed a small 1/2" hole on my top its behind the head rest. its from the metal bar that slids against the vinyl when the top goes up and down. i searched alot of the post on here and im not really satisfied with some hid bulbs the solutions to this prob. i dont wanna but tape on it lol. i also noticed that in the same spot on the passenger side there is considerable wear how are you guys preventing these wholes and is there a good canvas kit to patch holes that are already present? ive tried alot of auto upholestry places and all the places replace convertible tops but dont do anything with existing holes...
Save yourself some time and just go and buy a new top. It's not the expensive and it's very easy to install yourself. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoxeyFox21 View Post
Save yourself some time and just go and buy a new top. It's not the expensive and it's very easy to install yourself. Good luck.

They are not expensive, but, they are far from easy to install on an S2000!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BoxeyFox21 View Post
I'll give you a case of beer to come install it for me, lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM

sounds about right.........Go for the gold!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Inside only... Gorilla tape and seal edges with clear silicon. Done. Wrap the bar in it too...