Deadly Lab Fender Ding - S2000 Forums

Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Deadly Lab Fender Ding

My lab, possessing irrational exuberance, tore through the garage and hit the open door of my wife's car. Said door nailed the front left fender of the S.

As you can see, the paint came right off so a paintless dent guy can only remove the dent ($150.) To repaint the ding and then clear coat the entire fender (removing bumper, headlight, and replacing S2000 emblem) is $950 both at dentless place and a regular body repair joint.

I have thought about doing the $150 fix the dent and then try to do the paint myself in an attempt to feather the clear coat with lots of buffing to smooth things out. The paint guys said there might be a halo in a year or two and that is why you have to do the entire fender.

I have not contacted my insurance company yet. It might be possible to have this as a comprehensive household claim as driving was not involved. To be determined.

Name:  20161129_152900.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  106.3 KB

Last edited by cosmomiller; 12-01-2016 at 07:38 PM.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
THE STIG

That sucks Cosmo! I would repaint the entire fender if I were you.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #3

I agree with Switch. If you are doing it yourself remember to wash the fender completely and then give it a healthy wipedown with Preps-all to strip wax before you scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad.

Hey Cos, Labs taste like beef (not chicken) I have eaten them in Korea, LOL.
cdk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Got S2000?

Total bummer...that first dent always hurts the worst! I can tell by the wheels alone that this is a very well-cared for car (seriously...not a speck of brake dust...what the heck)??

I'm not sure what your painting skills are, but unless you'd consider them "very, very good" or better, I'd save yourself the hassle and have a professional body shop paint it.
Yellow can be a tough color to match up, and if you don't get the color and clearcoat just right, you'll notice it every time you look at the car.

Whatever you choose, best of luck! I hope the non-driving insurance works out.
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
I agree with Switch. If you are doing it yourself remember to wash the fender completely and then give it a healthy wipedown with Preps-all to strip wax before you scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad.

Hey Cos, Labs taste like beef (not chicken) I have eaten them in Korea, LOL.
I inadvertently ate some dog last year in Beijing. It was during the week long dog festival and I just pointed to a picture of a nice looking dish. Uh oh.

Still have not confessed to my dogs.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Total bummer...that first dent always hurts the worst! I can tell by the wheels alone that this is a very well-cared for car (seriously...not a speck of brake dust...what the heck)??

I'm not sure what your painting skills are, but unless you'd consider them "very, very good" or better, I'd save yourself the hassle and have a professional body shop paint it.
Yellow can be a tough color to match up, and if you don't get the color and clearcoat just right, you'll notice it every time you look at the car.

Whatever you choose, best of luck! I hope the non-driving insurance works out.
I think you guys might be right. It just drives me nuts to think you have to do the entire fender. At least it is clear coat and not base/color for the entire thing.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Got S2000?

It's hard to be exact...but I'm guessing that chip is about the size of a penny?

If you're uneasy about having the entire fender painted, perhaps you could just have the dent fixed, then apply a few dabs of a properly-matched touch-up paint. It won't be perfect, but it could be close enough. You could drive it for a little while and see if you even care. If you're not satisfied in a few weeks or months, take it in and have the fender sprayed. Nothing lost.

My poor car has been repainted 2 or 3 times in certain places, but it's certainly not noticeable to my eyes. This kind of stuff happens to everybody at some point.
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
EYECELLEM

It's true about yellow being a hard color to match up. We had to redo a small job on a yellow s2000 one time because it didn't match the rest of the car. Customer complaint. If done correctly, the fender as well as that side of the car will have to be blended in so the fender area doesn't stand out.
Glenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Not sure what to do about it. Been flying so much have not had a chance to run it by insurance company. Body shop guy thought that with the angles and surfaces it would be a good match just to do fender.

Will keep you guys advised. Maybe after Christmas.