Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass Polishing

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Glass Polishing

Hey boys and girls, I had an issue with stains, water spots, and pits on my windshield for some time. I used vinegar which helped to some degree with the calcium spots but not great. Things came to a head in February when I was slowly driving around a blind corner on a narrow asphalt road, in the shade, but about to hit the setting sun. As Murphy would have it, I hit the sun just as another car, hogging the middle, came around the bend. The sun lit up the spots on the windshield turning it into a a white sheet. I never saw the giant pothole at the edge of the road. I thought the terrible sound meant body damage but thankfully none occurred. I did have to get an new alignment.

So, did some research on window polishing, spot and blemish removal and settled on a 1 liter bottle of 3M glass polishing liquid compound from Amazon for around $60. Could have saved $20 mixing stuff myself or use another product but the reviews of 3M were top shelf. I have Porter Cable random orbiter unit with Chemical Guys pads. I used the white hex pad for polishing.

You don't use very much product. I think there will be enough left over to leave it in my will for the kids. I can tell you it did an outstanding job. It looks like new glass. Viva la difference!

Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Cos,
I don't know about Ca, but here in Fl every insurance company is required to replace cracked or damaged windshields at no cost to the insured, that means no deductible. You take your car to a glass place, they replace it, then they bill the insurance company direct.
For instance, maybe 10 years ago I had a car in front of me kick up a rock into my windshield and I got a divot in the glass. Local Safelite replacement free.

Check the regs in Ca., then spend 10 seconds with a ball peen hammer.............
Old 03-20-2016, 06:26 PM

Autoglym glass polish, the English polish/sealer folks, is what I've been using, like, forever. You are right. A small amount of glass polish lasts a very long time.

It's ok. I hear that the 3M is a true glass polish. Did it clog and turn white in the stone chips?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post

I hear that the 3M is a true glass polish. Did it clog and turn white in the stone chips?
Sorry for the delay. Headed for the Northern California coast, Hwy 1, Point Arena and Trinidad. Wifi and mobile service is sketchy.

The bottle Amazon sells states "Not for retail sale, professional use only". You have to click the warning box adding it to your cart that you understand that.

It did not clog and turn white in the pits on the glass. At first it looks like a wax or polish for paint. As you go on it changes to a dry like paste almost like toothpaste residue. It looks like 80% of the stuff disappears. Just the edge of the pad swirl leaves a line of used polish as you move it. I used a fine mist of water to just slightly dampen the glass so it would not overheat. Once the consistency changed (4 or 5 passes) I wiped it away and reapplied. I only did two go overs and was pretty please. Now that I have been on the road I can see some residual pits. I am going to give it a non-rushed going over when I get back from this trip this weekend.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Sorry for the delay. Headed for the Northern California coast, Hwy 1, Point Arena and Trinidad. Wifi and mobile service is sketchy.
Not to worry. Thanks for following up.

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
It did not clog and turn white in the pits on the glass.
Then, it has a leg up on the Autoglym. I need to take a second step by spraying the pits with water and brushing them out with a fine, short-bristle brush. Semi-hot tap water works better than cold.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by cdk456 View Post
Cos,
I don't know about Ca, but here in Fl every insurance company is required to replace cracked or damaged windshields at no cost to the insured, that means no deductible. You take your car to a glass place, they replace it, then they bill the insurance company direct.
For instance, maybe 10 years ago I had a car in front of me kick up a rock into my windshield and I got a divot in the glass. Local Safelite replacement free.

Check the regs in Ca., then spend 10 seconds with a ball peen hammer.............
California then is a little different. You can have rock hits, small cracks, pits, and bulls eyes repaired at no charge to you. USAA uses Safelite here. I have had them come out to repair those things including the S windshield. However, a replacement uses the deductible. That is 500 clams for me. The pits I have are very, very small. You really can't even get them with a fingernail.

My family has 5 cars so polishing the windows is a viable option. My irrigation water comes from the well with very hard water. The entire house is softened including the hose bibs. If the wind picks up the sprinkler spray and you don't realize it in time, you are going to have some nasty water spots. I have a gallon bottle of vinegar I use to soak a MF towel to remove calcium carbonate buiidup on paint as well as glass. Does not work if the calcium is allowed to etch.