Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top care

Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM

Top care

The ragtop,whats the best way to take care of it,and does the s2k come with a top cover?
On the spec sheet that came on our car it say something about a convertible top cover
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Aaaay Tully. Owyadoon? (Sorry. That's Joisey for Hi Tully. Howzitt goin'? I think it's the ground chemicals)
Without care the top ages.
With care, the top still ages, but it jus' takes alot longer. Brother Fletch of the UK turned me on to, what was it now? 309? 'Tried it n' found that, while it may've been totally different, it smelled jus' like my ol' friend ArmorAll.
So I tried 'em both. The 309 on one half of the top n' ArmorAll on the other. 'Nothin' overly sophisticated, but in the end they both lasted about the same.
Then someone (apologies to who, can't recall) on the Miata site mentioned "RaggTopp" (spellin' may be off . . but, then, with me . . who'd know?) n' the "RaggTopp" was actually recommended by a number of factories for use on their tops.
As for the top cover: that's probably the "tonneau" that was available. If you're someone who'z godda have all the adaptors for your tools, it's available through Mother Honda. But, one of the most satisfyin' points that li'l Stewie has is the ability to put it's top between you n' the rain in 5 r' 6 seconds. Why would you wanna negate that ability? But we each have our own preferences n' if it weren't for those differences, there jus' wouldn't be much reason to communicate, would there?
Be well Tull.
Java
Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 PM

I use the brand "Ragg topp" the cleaner is easy to use when you go to wash your car start with the top.

Just rinse off the top and spray on the cleaner scub and rinse, after that when you are done with the whole car dry the top and use the "Ragg topp" protectent

(best thing to use for application is a terry cloth applicator from Maguiers) just spray it on the applicator and apply it to the top in even coats and you'll have a beautiful top for years to come.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM

The best covertible top protectant

303 Products:

303 Products - World's Leading Automotive Care Products

I don't think there's a product out there thats better than this stuff. I use it on my fabric motorcycle bags and the color does not fade and they are essentially water proof. It is, of course, on the s2000's top.

Check it out!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

QM, give the RaggTopp a shot against the 303 (I was only off by 6). I ain't sellin' it, jus' tryin' to add to the information base.
Be well.
Java
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM

Be careful what is used, since different materials require different chemicals.

Here is a good chart for the different manufactures materials and the required cleaning products.

Imported Convertibles

I am not associated with the company that supplied the table.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks Jet. Good info.
I particularly liked your disclaimer.
Be well.
Java
Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

All this talk about our tops n' maintainin' 'em n' you guys made me realize that I was overdue. Got almost a weeks worth'a rain headin' this way, so I washed n' treated the top this mornin', in the last bit'a sunshine that we'll be seein' for a while. Whew! What a difference! 'Sure'z hell needed it after this winter.
Thanks for the wake-up call folks.
Be well.
Java
Old 04-11-2007, 11:41 PM

I can't believe I did this, but I just realized I put Raggtopp Fabric protectant on my VINYL top. Vinyl? Vinyl? Arrrrrggghhh! I'm such an idiot. Now what do I do? What, if any, irreparable damage have I done? Those petroleum distillates I was smellin' can't be any good for that top.
Suggestions anyone?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Clark, we do tend to get a little paranoid n' **** at times here on the site, but the fact is that the li'l sucker's a Honda for cryin' out loud. We ain't talkin' a NASA vehicle here. It's a ground-bound helluva lodda fun for sure, but it's still a car manufactured by one of the more reliable companies. Your top can take a considerable amount of abuse without you havin' to worry about it.
Don't go beatin' yourself up, or, usin' the wrong stuff on a regular basis. Give 'er a washin' (the top) n' mother nature'll take care'a the rest.
After a period'a time when you feel the wrong stuff's been able to wash r' wear off, give it a shot'a what it's supposed to get.
Deep breaths Clark. Deep breaths.
If that's the worst screw-up (I don't even think it falls in screw-up territory really) you do with Stewie you're doin' aces pal.
Be well.
Java
Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Thanks JJ. I wasn't really sure what would happen, although I had some doubts that it would cause any major damage.
On another note, the wifey (who drives the car most of the time) was rear-ended on the way to work today by some stupid "B" that was putting on her make-up, and, of course, she had no insurance. From wifey's description, it sounds like just a new bumper will be in order. Whew!
The good new is... the cops towed the drivers car, gave her a big ticket, and left her standing in the rain. Darn.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, it might not make amends for the unnecessary damage to your car, but left 'er standin' in the rain??? Hoooaaaah! I believe I do hear justice bein' served.
Be well.
Java
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Way to go Jetbert great information! He Clark look at it that way I haven't done anything to my raggtopp for the last 3 years.... and drove the car for the first 2 daily. So trust me I have abused it more then you putting a little of the not so right stuff on it.
Ciao, Franz
Old 04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Questionable Standing

DON"T PANIC!!!! Vinyl is one of the more durable and chemical resistant things your top could be made from. Your Raggtopp protectant won't hurt it. Sorry to hear about the fender bender. . . not sorry for the lady in the rain, lol.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Aaay guys . . not for nothin', but my top's down probably more'n it's up. I believe that the main concern that has us lookin' for the best protection for our tops is UV rays.
I'm jus' offerin' it up, but, as the sun's probably at it's best when the top is down, you might wanna RaggTopp all the interior parts of the top that're catchin' ol' sol head on while the top's folded down. UV don't care if it eats up the top from the outside r' the inside, right?
Be well.
Java
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM

i called my local honda dealership today and was told that the top is fabric... however i saw from this forum and some other forums saying that the top is vinyl... the dealership even sent me a diagram showing the soft top and labeled "soft top cloth '02-'06"... Can someone verify this?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM
House of CR.

The OEM top is a vinyl top, some aftermarket replacement tops are in fact cloth, so the protectant you should be using is intended for vinyl. For cleaning the top, no fancy cleaner is needed. Your car wash soap is great when used with a soft brush to lift the dirt out and simply rinse clean. Allow to fully dry, then apply your protectant of choice. I prefer a small MF pad saturated with protectant which I then apply across the top overlapping each pass. I apply extra to the seams and then once dry I lightly buff off the excess.

How often you add protectant is your call, I do it after each wash personally.