Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit run-away hub cap

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM

Hit run-away hub cap

Driving on the expressway today. Just pulled to the left to pass a car at 70 mph and I see this hub cap rolling right to left across the interstate in front of me. No shoulder of any sort to my left. Car to my right. Car on my tail behind me. I hit it. It was quite a loud sound, only exceeded by my cursing and the screeching of the car behind me.

Pulled over at the next exit. Couldn't see any damage. Drove home on side roads and checked it over in my garage. Found an abrasion on the lower front bumper and a small nick right underneath. I can't see any other damage. The abrasion isn't even too bad. The bug splatters are worse. So all in all for what could have been, a very minor result.

Quite thankful.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Glad you are okay and things did not turn out worse. Those kinds of things can turn ugly fast if someone looses control making an evasive maneuver. Not you, but the person next to you who was inattentive, and suddenly looks up. Sometimes, like what you did, you just have to keep it steady and take a hit.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:03 AM

It will make your heart stop for sure.

I was heading down I-20 coming thru west Shreveport maybe 10 years ago in my pickup when a car coming onto the interstate in front of me kicked up a golf ball size rock and I watched it arc thru the air straight into my windshield. I was cursing the whole time. Broke the sh&^%T out of my windsheild.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Ya, you see it all happening in slow motion in front of you. And you can see the intersection of the object aligning perfectly with your car. And all you can do it just mutter, 'Crap' while hoping for the best.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Glad you are okay and things did not turn out worse. Those kinds of things can turn ugly fast if someone looses control making an evasive maneuver. Not you, but the person next to you who was inattentive, and suddenly looks up. Sometimes, like what you did, you just have to keep it steady and take a hit.

Yep, I was on I-40 coming into Albuquerque through Tijeras Canyon about 10 years ago and the semi in front of me threw a tire. Luckily, it bounced off the top of my truck rather than coming through the windshield. Made a mess of the guy behind me though who then took out the car along side him. The trucker never even knew what happened.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:58 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Originally Posted by flyingarmadillo View Post
Yep, I was on I-40 coming into Albuquerque through Tijeras Canyon about 10 years ago and the semi in front of me threw a tire. Luckily, it bounced off the top of my truck rather than coming through the windshield. Made a mess of the guy behind me though who then took out the car along side him. The trucker never even knew what happened.
Every now and then I watch one of those "Russian Accident Compilations" you see on uTube. I am amazed how many loose tires accidents (and nasty ones at that) are captured. I don't think I have ever seen one; all I have witnessed is a wheel collapse or tread separation. You take one of those tires on your kisser through the windshield and you are going to be in a world of hurt.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM
THE STIG

Glad it was minor!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Never Slow down

Sounds to me like you and your Honda are okay and that's the important thing.