Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Exterior / Detailing / Body Work
Need advice: My 2006 S2000 was wrecked on the passenger side >

Need advice: My 2006 S2000 was wrecked on the passenger side

Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM

I need advice from this forum. My 2006 S2000 in pristine condition (has just 12K miles) got wrecked on the passenger side by "blind" driver coming out of a drive way on the right. The door is completely damaged (pushed in), the front fender and the rear quarter panel are damaged. I am dealing with a reputable independent body shop and the other drivers insurance company (State Farm) now. The body shop says, there is structural damage around the door that requires replacement of the rocker panel and rocker panel reinforcement. The hinge pillar needs to be repaired as well. Here is the short list based on visible damage:

Fender,Front RT - replace
Wheel,Rear RT - rebuild/refinish
Pillar,Hinge RT - repair
Panel,Rocker RT - replace
Reinf,Rocker Panel R/F - replace
Door Assembly,Front RT - replace
Hinge,Front Door Upr RT - replace
Hinge,Front Door Lwr RT - replace
Pnl Assembly,Quarter RT - replace

The total estimate is $10,000.

I bought this car just 2 months back for $25K+TTL from a private party. I am very concerned about what this accident has done to the value of my car even after a full repair.

Is the car going to behave like the original car given it has had structural damage? In addition, the paint work on the right will look different from the left for a trained eye.

I would happily take $25K from the insurance company if they chose to take the car. But, I don't know if I can persuade them to do so.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give. I live in San Jose, CA.

Here are the photos:

Name:  fender.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  278.1 KB
Name:  Door.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  301.2 KB
Name:  QtrPanel.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  312.4 KB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Door.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	5065   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	5066   Click image for larger version

Name:	QtrPanel.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	5067  

Last edited by Baskaran Subramaniam; 11-26-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added external urls for images
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
just havin' fun

Wow, sorry to hear about your car. The accident will show up on a carfax report. I know this because someone punched mine a few years ago, and I just ran a carfax report on mine and it showed up. As far as being able to spot the repair, it really depends on the workmenship of the shop. If resale value is a big concern. Push for the total loss.
Also looks like the rear wheel took a hard hit as well. Make sure they check the rear susp. and axle assemebly for damage.

Last edited by will williams; 11-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM
EYECELLEM

I'm not a body man, but I'm not so sure there is structural (frame) damage to the vehicle. But then again I could be wrong. Obviously panels, door skins, fenders need to be replaced, but if the frame is untouched the car should drive as before. Someone with bodywork experience will come along and post pretty soon.

The insurance company will report the accident and it'll wind up on carfax. Your vehicle will have a "bad" carfax history report. Yes, there will be diminished value attached to your vehicle. It will look and drive as before (depending on the competency of the body shop) but it will have an accident in it's history.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
I'm not a body man, but I'm not so sure there is structural (frame) damage to the vehicle. But then again I could be wrong. Obviously panels, door skins, fenders need to be replaced, but if the frame is untouched the car should drive as before. Someone with bodywork experience will come along and post pretty soon.

The insurance company will report the accident and it'll wind up on carfax. Your vehicle will have a "bad" carfax history report. Yes, there will be diminished value attached to your vehicle. It will look and drive as before (depending on the competency of the body shop) but it will have an accident in it's history.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Thanks for the sympathetic words. The body shop told me that this car has a unibody structure and the rocker panel and the hinge panel that are part of the unibody structure are damaged and need to be repaired. The rocker panel needs to be cut out and a new one attached by MIG welding process, which is not the same as the spot welding done at the factory.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM

I'm not a body guy either, but that rocker panel doesn't appear to have enough damage to have caused frame damage. I would *definitely* get at least one other quote on the job (probably two) from other reputable shops.

If the car is repaired properly, it will behave as intended and the paint will match. If it is not repaired properly, then it won't. Yes, there will be an accident on the CarFax history (well, probably... I had a car that definitely was in an accident while I owned it but that accident and repair work never showed up on the carfax and it was handled through insurance completely above board and legit) but if a car is repaired properly, the car should behave and the value won't be completely destroyed. Will you be able to get top dollar for the car as if it were pristine? Probably not, but you can't really know for sure until you get to that point. I don't believe it will destroy the value of the vehicle.

I fully disclosed the accident that my Miata had been in and provided the buyer with all information on the repair work. He still bought it and I got more than top Kelly Blue Book value. I had autocrossed it occasionally and never had any performance problems out of the car.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM

ehhh i'd probably just have the ins company fix it up and drive it til the wheels fall off. you're definitely not gonna $25k for the car. if you do, let us know 'cause that means state farm is pretty awesome. if you can get $25k for it, take it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 AM
House of CR.

Two thoughts:

1. Get at least two other estimates from reputable repair shops, especially those that handle high end cars. Typically they hire the better paint, body and frame people. And make sure the repairs are all in house and not farmed out to other shops.

2. Considering the mileage/condition of the car I would consider a diminished value reimbursement claim too.

Sorry your pristine S was damaged, with the right shop the repairs will be done correctly.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM
THE STIG

Will and VP have very sound advice. I don't think there is any frame damage but it's hard to judge without the door open. If the repairs are done correctly the car should behave just fine. For what it's worth I work at a bodyshop. Here's a picture of the S2000's frame:
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 PM

I have listed my damaged car in San Francisco bay area craigslist for sale.

Last edited by Switchblade; 11-28-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Not enough posts for a "for sale" thread. This is turning into one....
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
EYECELLEM

^^why?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM

That's the most bizarre method of bypassing the 25 post minimum for a FS thread that I've ever seen. Lol!

Dude, talk about knee-jerk reactions. Why not cool your heels for more than 24 hours and think before you go jumping into something you may seriously regret later? Nothing done in haste and with insufficient homework is ever a good idea.

Last edited by RMurphy; 11-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Senior Member, Literally

=D>Nice catch inspector Murphy!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 AM

the post says "pristine condition except for collision damage" right. all this seems super shady, i don't imagine there'd be 10k worth of damage there to take that big of a loss on the car.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 AM
(deactivated account)

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
the post says "pristine condition except for collision damage" right. all this seems super shady, i don't imagine there'd be 10k worth of damage there to take that big of a loss on the car.
He has a $10K estimate already. So if he is going to get a $10K check, offering the car for sale for his original purchase price minus $10K seems legitimate. Someone who can fix it more economically comes out ahead, and he can walk away from the irritation of a nearly new to him car that was hit shortly after buying it. Then he comes out with no loss, and can go shopping for another.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM

I don't know that I would call the deal shady, but I would say it seems rather hasty based on the information provided here. I can't imagine getting only one estimate when you are talking about an expenditure of $10k. I realize the insurance is paying it, but it is still reasonable and prudent to doublecheck such things.

But who knows? Maybe it's not worth the headache in the OP's opinion? Maybe getting cars fixed is not something he feels like dealing with (or is any good at, or has time for, or <insert reasons here>). And then someone else can have a great car after it's properly fixed and the OP can spend his time shopping instead. Some people like car shopping. Heck... some people *love* car shopping.

If it blows his skirt up, all to the good then.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM

haha my bad i guess i didn't thoroughly read the posts all that carefully. my issue was, "hey guys need advice. ummm now here's the car for sale (wink wink since one of you guys might wanna get it)"
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by LTWU View Post
my issue was, "hey guys need advice. ummm now here's the car for sale (wink wink since one of you guys might wanna get it)"
Well, yeah on that part. And that's why I commented also and why the mods adjusted his post with the link to craigslist in it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I am the OP. I offer my sincere apologies to everyone since it looks like I broke some forum rules or etiquette.

As some other poster surmised, I am quite upset that the car I bought 2 months ago after a long and hard search is this badly damaged. I am getting additional estimates to repair as well. But, I wanted to keep my options open and hence listed in CL.

Once again. Please pardon my misbehavior
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM

I got the car back in my garage from the first body shop. I took a closer look all around it, opened the hood, opened the driver side door fully.

I noticed fitment misalignment between:
  • the front bumper cover and the body
  • the rear bumpber cover and the body
  • around the headlights
  • between the front edge of the driver-side glass window and the weather-strip trim

I hear squeaky noise when opening the hood and when opening the driver side door beyond the half-way-open stop point.

None of these issues existed before the accident. I will be asking the second body shop tomorrow to look closely at all of these and more and list them as defects to be fixed.

At this point what can I do to convince the insurance company that this car is not fixable and they should just pay me off?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM
House of CR.

The front and rear bumper covers, are just that, plastic covers that are held on by a few screws/bolts. it's not uncommon for these to become unaligned even in normal use, let alone a collision. These are small piddly issues compared to the metal damage. Find a shop that can evaluate for frame damage, personally I think your main issue beyond sheet metal is a compromised suspension.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
EYECELLEM

Originally Posted by Baskaran Subramaniam View Post
I got the car back in my garage from the first body shop. I took a closer look all around it, opened the hood, opened the driver side door fully.

I noticed fitment misalignment between:
  • the front bumper cover and the body
  • the rear bumpber cover and the body
  • around the headlights
  • between the front edge of the driver-side glass window and the weather-strip trim
I hear squeaky noise when opening the hood and when opening the driver side door beyond the half-way-open stop point.

None of these issues existed before the accident. I will be asking the second body shop tomorrow to look closely at all of these and more and list them as defects to be fixed.

At this point what can I do to convince the insurance company that this car is not fixable and they should just pay me off?

Thanks!
The only way the insurance company will declare the vehicle a total loss is if the repairs cost is within 70% of it's value.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM

I would take the cash, then buy another one
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Here are some new photos I got from the second body shop:

Name:  Photo19.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  97.3 KB
Name:  Photo20.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  92.3 KB
Name:  Photo21.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  Photo22.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  91.2 KB
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
House of CR.

Minimal damage I'd say, you should have your car back very soon.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM

I'm no bodyshop expert but the fender, door, and quarter panel is all I see that would need to be replaced...