Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going too far?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Never Slow down

Going too far?

I'm getting ready to put Stewie to bed for the winter and I decided to pull the front bumper to have it re-painted. It had a few scuffs on the bottom edge that I touched up and one hairline crack from when the bumper tapped the curb.

I don't think that another human being would have even been able to notice these marks, but they bug me. Am I going too far trying to keep her near perfect?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
mlc

Yeah, but it is your car and your money, so if you think it needs to get done....well, then it needs to be done.

Remember to have them protect the VIN tag on the top inside of it so you will see it after they are done.

Last edited by mlc; 10-22-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Somewhere there'z'a Canadian worm who'z gonna notice'a effort'n hard-earned you're gonna be puttin' inda'diss.
Budd'iff'itt'z whu'cha wanna'doo . . . 'att'z'all'att maddaz.
Y'know?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Never Slow down

I got the VIN taped off already along with notes on the areas that need attention. Got to make sure that they don't paint out the matt black fake air scoops with gloss black. I just love my Honda, what can I say?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Black is way easy to work on compared to the metallics(like silver!). If you are going to paint your bumper anyway...I would say try it yourself first. Buy OEM touch-up paint, layer paint until above your existing paint surface, colorsand flush, cut and buff. It really does work wonders. I did it on my car, and like I said metallic silvers are the WORST, and it still turned out pretty good(WAY BETTER than pre-repair). In a solid non-metallic color my repairs would have been money! I've fixed multiple cars this way. If you are already willing to pay for professional repairs what do you have to loose?

P.S. I take a pink eraser, wrap it in wet/dry sandpaper held in place with thumbtacks on the backside. This makes a small soft sanding block that can get in almost anywhere. You dip it in soapy water(I use carwash soap) to lubricate the sanding. Use VERY light pressure and try not to push anywhere but on the high spot of the touch-up paint. Just work it down slow and lightly. Once the new paint is flush you are done. Just cut and buff and you will be amazed at the results!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by mlc View Post
Yeah, but it is your car and your money, so if you you think it needs to get done....well, then it needs to be done.

Remember to have them protect the VIN tag on the top inside of it so you will see it after they are done.
This!!

It wouldn't bother me that much but mine is 13 model years old and has 97K on it..... I still try to keep it as clean as possible.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Never Slow down

Thanks for the advice. I sent the bumper off to our shop this morning... I'm hoping that this may be a freebie since it's our shop.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
EYECELLEM

I had a small rock chip on my passenger door. It was small and I touched it up. But it was there. I finally caved in and had the entire side repainted. Cost an arm and a leg for a small rock chip.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Glenn1 View Post
Cost an arm and a leg for a small rock chip.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Party Rock Crew

Originally Posted by mlc View Post
Yeah, but it is your car and your money, so if you think it needs to get done....well, then it needs to be done.

This....again.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM

i'm swapping out my bumper with an ap2 this winter. also adding ap2 headlights and tails, a smaller pulley/belt, 4 bar map, 1000cc id's and an ecu/tune for more power lol. most the stuff has been sitting here waiting for me to put the car away so i'm not wasting any driving time in it.

you're not going to far, i do all i can to make sure my s remians prestine
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
EYECELLEM

that's me 'blade. I can barely drive any longer.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Dude, for your future physical well being, I hope you never experience another rock chip! LOL!!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Never Slow down

Dude, for your future physical well being, I hope you never experience another rock chip! LOL!!
LOL! You are right, I am way too fussy about my Honda. Working at Honda helps though, I get my parts at cost. I had to buy the grill that goes in the centre of the bumper because those little tabs that hold it place where all broken off. $230.00 up here in Canada.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

can you show us the pic of your honda as i am also willing to look if the bumps and scratches appear or not to us??
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Never Slow down

I threw the freshly painted bumper on last night at it was a PITA. Got it all screwed and clipped in and then I found that the grommet for the right corner screw had fallen out. Had to pull one side off to get it back in there. But it's done now and the tank is full of gas ready for storage.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Got S2000?

What did the repaint cost? I was quoted $650, but that's with the shop R&R'ing the bumper.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Never Slow down

I didn't have to pay for the paint and repair but I'd guess it would be in the $400.00 range.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM

i totally understand but sometimes i think it is going to far.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by solomonanfree View Post
i totally understand but sometimes i think it is going to far.
What is it that you want to sell? You've posted crap in about 30 different forums. A seller-troll!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
What is it that you want to sell? You've posted crap in about 30 different forums. A seller-troll!
This started a day or so ago. I commented on it in another thread. *sigh* To anyone who has been here for more than 6 months, the pattern becomes obvious and predictable. It starts with a FS thread that gets deleted. Then you get a bunch of useless comments like "welcome" on half a dozen or so several-month-old Intro posts, followed by a dozen "nice" or "wow" comments on various other posts, and you then you give up being annoyed and start praying for the 25th post in order to get that 26th one over with. It's like the salivating that happens when you are sick. You feel it... you know you're going to up-chuck... you hope it won't happen... you burp a little... you keep hoping... you feel more saliva... then you start wishing it would happen just so you can get it over with and done.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

I sent an admin message a day or two ago saying this doofus was getting ready to sell something because he posted one or two word messages in a bunch of forums. Guess nobody had a chance to ban him before he could post even more crap. Oh well...someone should remove a couple of letters from his contact email address and a number or two from his phone number.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Oh well...someone should remove a couple of letters from his contact email address and a number or two from his phone number.
Hmmm. Well I don't think I would go that far. Yes, he's a doofus and yes we can hate him. But he has the right to be a doofus and sell his crap if he did post the minimum amount of posts required.

And we can't really pre-ban the guy for a crime we *think* he's likely to commit. That pre-cog stuff ain't kosher. Unless it's from an IP address known to be a spammer. In that case, I say BAN the bastages before they take over and wreak mayhem!

I mean, it sucks and all, but into each life a little suck must come. Oh... that sounded awful.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Hmmm. Well I don't think I would go that far. Yes, he's a doofus and yes we can hate him. But he has the right to be a doofus and sell his crap if he did post the minimum amount of posts required.

And we can't really pre-ban the guy for a crime we *think* he's likely to commit. That pre-cog stuff ain't kosher. Unless it's from an IP address known to be a spammer. In that case, I say BAN the bastages before they take over and wreak mayhem!

I mean, it sucks and all, but into each life a little suck must come. Oh... that sounded awful.
This is something we mods are up against. If they follow the rules there is nothing we can do. Trying to think of some ways to prevent this.....
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
official newb

Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
Trying to think of some ways to prevent this.....
Try removing minimum post count requirement and add time frame instead, or a combination of the 2. You can also allow for sale threads to be started by verified members only, verification process could include parameters that include paypal info, verified paypal address, minimum post count, as well as a 6 month active/contributing member. Hell you could even charge a small fee for seller verification process.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by kreapin View Post
Try removing minimum post count requirement and add time frame instead, or a combination of the 2.
I was thinking of implementing the time frame and perhaps increasing the post count requirements.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM

I was thinking of implementing the time frame and perhaps increasing the post count requirements.
sounds like an excellent proposal to put before the constituency and see if you get a yay or nay overall vote.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Never Slow down

There are rules here?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
official newb

Sounds good but some people will be a lil ticked

Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
sounds like an excellent proposal to put before the constituency and see if you get a yay or nay overall vote.
I'll go for yay

Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
There are rules here?

I wonder about that sometimes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Go for it, Switch. As far as I know, Craigslist still exists and people can always post their stuff there.