Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Cost?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Convertible Top Cost?

I bought my s2000 a few months ago with the intention of replacing the convertible top as soon as possible because it was in bad shape. I was under the impression that a new top with labor would cost me about a grand but now that I've been doing some shopping around it seems like the cheapest I can get one for is $1200 for a questionable shop and the most expensive was the Honda dealership which quoted a top replacement for $6000! (WTF!!!!!) Keep in mind this is the top with the plastic window, not the glass.

My question is how much is a fair price for the parts and labor? I'm sure there are quite a few people on this forum that have gotten a top replacement at some point; it would be really helpful to get a second opinion. I just want to make sure I won't get ripped off. It seems like there aren't many shops around here in the St. Louis area and the ones that do exist try to hose you on the cost.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
House of CR.

This site should be of help to you, the other replacement company, Ez-on is inferior to the Robbins. Robbins also has preferred installers, hopefully one is near your location.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/index.php
Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM
Never Slow down

I checked up here in Toronto and the Genuine Honda top is $1900.00 (cheaper in the US for sure). The flat rate to replace it is 9.0 hours so that's around another $900.00, bringing the total to have it done at a Honda dealer to around $2800.00. The dealer that quoted you $6000.00 just didn't want to do it.

I work for Honda and had mine done at my dealership. It took a tech that I trust all day to do it properly. He took his time, knocked off the welds that cause the rips and I am totally happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s6.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	4389  

Last edited by Wayne; 12-31-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Got S2000?

Wasn't entirely thrilled with the dealership that replaced mine (which was done under warranty). It wasn't put on exactly like the original one was installed, which I fixed myself rather than deal with another headache. And they never bothered to re-install quite a few screws & plastic rivets, etc. Again, I just did it myself.

So, if you do have it done at a dealer, do your homework first and find the right one. But I see no reason why any good body shop couldn't do it...it's not rocket science. You could even do it yourself if you're a slightly handy person. Best of luck with it!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM

In some cases the dealer will take it to an upholstery shop instead of do it on site. You are possible best off at an experienced shop that does tops, given that most dealers wouldn't have much experience doing this job either. At least the convertible top shop does tops all the time.

You can find top prices online, I think I've seem the OEM one around $1000+, a blue one under $1000.

This is another company that sells tops, no experience with these though.
http://www.gahh.com/index.php

Last edited by fm_sd; 12-31-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Wasn't entirely thrilled with the dealership that replaced mine (which was done under warranty). It wasn't put on exactly like the original one was installed, which I fixed myself rather than deal with another headache. And they never bothered to re-install quite a few screws & plastic rivets, etc. Again, I just did it myself.

So, if you do have it done at a dealer, do your homework first and find the right one. But I see no reason why any good body shop couldn't do it...it's not rocket science. You could even do it yourself if you're a slightly handy person. Best of luck with it!
Jim, which dealer did you take yours to?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Got S2000?

Scott Honda in West Chester, where I bought the car. If I had to do it again, I think I'd buy elsewhere. My salesman, Eric, was a great guy....but just about everything else sucks. I remember one of the insurance guys there giving me this condescending, curious look when I told him I didn't want to purchase additional wheel & tire insurance (which any normal policy will cover anyway). "You don't want this insurance...FOR AN S2000??!? That sounds pretty foolish to me". I should've just walked out right then.

600 miles later, while in for the free checkup...one of those little plastic things in front of our front tires was missing a bolt and coming loose. They tried to charge me $25 to put a new bolt on. I paid it, but after an email to Eric, they sent me a refund check. I've done my best to stay out of dealerships since then.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM

I had my ap1 top replaced with an aftermarket cloth one with the glass window. Out the door parts and labor it was just under $2000. It looks great, I'm really glad I opted for the cloth over the vinyl.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 AM

the guy before me got a new top for 1500 installed... forgot the name but it got class back window. no defrost
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seems like the quotes I got from the local shops weren't too bad. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get ripped off.

I'm thinking about taking a weekend and just doing it myself. I might save like 500 bucks. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial? I found one but the pictures were grainy and it was hard to follow.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 AM
House of CR.

Jag,

i don't know which model year you have but maybe these DIY's can be of help. The second link noted is from a local S owner (Clovis) that does installs locally and would be a good resource should you run into a snag on the install.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/7585...p-replacement/
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM
THE STIG

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
Scott Honda in West Chester, where I bought the car. If I had to do it again, I think I'd buy elsewhere. My salesman, Eric, was a great guy....but just about everything else sucks. I remember one of the insurance guys there giving me this condescending, curious look when I told him I didn't want to purchase additional wheel & tire insurance (which any normal policy will cover anyway). "You don't want this insurance...FOR AN S2000??!? That sounds pretty foolish to me". I should've just walked out right then.

600 miles later, while in for the free checkup...one of those little plastic things in front of our front tires was missing a bolt and coming loose. They tried to charge me $25 to put a new bolt on. I paid it, but after an email to Eric, they sent me a refund check. I've done my best to stay out of dealerships since then.
That's pretty sucky! I've heard good things about Conicelli (I deal with the parts guys all the time).
Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM

I checked out the DIY's and they should really come in handy. I decided to do it myself so I bought a vinyl top with the glass conversion from topsonline.com. I opted for the Robbins top over EZ On because it seemed to get better reviews and some people claim that it fits a bit easier. Wish me luck, hopefully I don't hit any snags...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM

I have a little wear on the typical passenger's side rear frame contact point. It's visible from outside as it is a bit shiny and about half an inch long. I also have a microtear on the seam just behind it where I can see ~4 pinholes of light. I've patched the frame arm wear spot and used some fabric adhesive on the microtear. I also have some wear near the lock handles, but I think I've halted that by fastening the latches before putting the top down. I don't think the previous owner knew very much about maintaining a soft top, but he also didn't use the car much, so it's not completely compromised the top. I have a goodwill warranty offer for $1200 for the convertible top to be replaced at my dealership with labor included. What do you guys think I should do? Will the patch and glue hold up in your experiences?

edit: I don't mean to thread jack; hopefully any answers to my questions will help out the OP as well...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM

I'm happy to report that the top has been replaced. I did it yesterday, only took me 11 hours, but I saved $500-700. The DIY tutorial on s2ki was a lifesaver and I couldn't be happier with the glass window conversion.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM

how mechanically inclined would you say you are?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by smohan123 View Post
how mechanically inclined would you say you are?
Somewhat. I do all my own fluid changes, brake jobs, and things like that but I wouldn't do an engine rebuild or anything extensive like that. The installation was more time consuming than difficult as almost the entire interior (everything from the seats back) and to be removed and then reinstalled. That 11 hours also includes a trip to Lowes because we needed to get different size rivets.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 AM
THE STIG

Gald you made out ok jag528cbr!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Dismember

I feel ya Jag with one g- I did mine last summer and it was def a little brutal...

https://www.s2000.com/forums/exterio...oth-top-w.html

Glad you got it sorted out- show us some pics!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 PM

Check this seller out. Hes very reputable, and has different variations of tops. He has OEM vynal material and stayfast cloth material. You might as well do the conversion and get the top with the glass, this seller will give you everything you need to convert your plastic window top to the glass (all the extra straps you need). He has an option for just the glass or a heated glass which is only $55 more. Im just waiting on mine to rip so i can get one too. oh and its only $415 shipped! as far as getting it installed. You can probably find a local performance shop or apholstry shop to do it for half the price honda dealer charges. but i would make sure that the have done it before. Or get another s2k owner that has done this before and have him help you out! If you were in the Vegas area i could point you to a few people i know that could do the work. A shop here i heard would do it for $350.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-HO...item2c6205ca03

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-HO...item1e6a2af306

Last edited by project*stealth; 01-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.