Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding the soft top problem

Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
LIVFAST

Understanding the soft top problem

Last night I decided to see what all the fuss was about with respect to the well documented soft top tear. I opened and closed the top a few times for a quick look at the mechanism and contact points of the frame.

It's reported that the problem is associated with the crossmember running horizontallly in across the width of the car. As you close your top, the material is pulled over the bar under heavy tension. This repeated movement, combined with the tension of the material over the frame, contributes to the aforementioned wear.

The picture below shows the top opened about 35% - at this point, the pressure over the bar is relieved and you can squeeze your fingers between the material and it and feel for burs or rough edges. I didn't feel anything other than smooth metal.

When closing the roof, the material circled in red will move across the bar under significant pressure. The reinforced/doubled material just to the right of it would wear well in this location, but it may interfere with the folding of the material - I don't know.

I need to think of a few ways to proactively reinforce this area, as I drop the top daily. The matte finish of the frame lends itself towards added friction. I suspect if it is polished along the contact edge, it will allow the top to pass over with significantly less resistance. Maybe there is a tape of some sort that can be placed along these points that will provide a slick surface. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

there is. ripstop material is "slick"

hell, you could even glue a sleeve of the stuff around the bar right there... the sleeve would spin as the material passes the bar.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
LIVFAST

^That's a great suggestion, sort of a material roller.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Foun'da OEM top'da be han'z down'da bes' top available. 'Heavier stuff'n anythin' available afdermarket.
But, when'a OEM startz showin'itt'z age't 4 yearz, itt'z showin'itt'z age in more areaz'n jus'da section'att rubbz'da bar every up'n down.
'Ain't sayin'add'itt'z not worth bein' careful wit', but when'itt'z time'fuh'da topp'da go . . itt'z time'fuh'da topp'da go, y'know?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
LIVFAST

^haha, yep. Next thread, "Understanding Java Junky!" :P
Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

'Like'da be'able'da tell'yuh'add'itt'z wort'da effort sal . . . but'da jury'z still out onn'att one.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
LIVFAST

Haha, all good, my man. You're right though. I should just quit worrying and just enjoy the damn car!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by fdesalvo View Post
Last night I decided to see what all the fuss was about with respect to the well documented soft top tear. I opened and closed the top a few times for a quick look at the mechanism and contact points of the frame.

It's reported that the problem is associated with the crossmember running horizontallly in across the width of the car. As you close your top, the material is pulled over the bar under heavy tension. This repeated movement, combined with the tension of the material over the frame, contributes to the aforementioned wear.

The picture below shows the top opened about 35% - at this point, the pressure over the bar is relieved and you can squeeze your fingers between the material and it and feel for burs or rough edges. I didn't feel anything other than smooth metal.

When closing the roof, the material circled in red will move across the bar under significant pressure. The reinforced/doubled material just to the right of it would wear well in this location, but it may interfere with the folding of the material - I don't know.

I need to think of a few ways to proactively reinforce this area, as I drop the top daily. The matte finish of the frame lends itself towards added friction. I suspect if it is polished along the contact edge, it will allow the top to pass over with significantly less resistance. Maybe there is a tape of some sort that can be placed along these points that will provide a slick surface. I'll let you know what I find.

Feel the hinge pin right below your red circle. Mine had a razor sharp weld flaw. It is my belief that this weld flaw rubs the strap that postions the bar correctly, and possibly even the area you have circled weakening it. This explains why the majority of failures are on the passenger side. Once the strap fails it can also cause rips in the drivers side.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM
LIVFAST

^will do
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

TT . . . you've become'a guidin' light . . which'z good'z mos'a'da udda guyz whut actually knew somethin've gotten in'a wind, 'know whudd'I mean?
Here . . let me translate into English: Good info TT. Thanks.

Oh . . by'da way sal . . Don'z been sellin'da originalz for $29.95 on'da site.
I foun'eeze on Amazon for $19.99

Last edited by Java Junky; 07-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
LIVFAST

I see you are now offering your desktop reference guide to the general public!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Nah.
Itt'z some pirated-type ding.
I get squat from revenuez.
('S'okay. 'Prob'ly ain't wort' squat anyway.)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
LIVFAST

Tt - you are dead on. There is a sharp area behind the pin - but only on my passenger side. I'll hit that puppy with the rat tails.

JJ - don't sell yourself short, my brotha! When you make it over to Hollywood, I'll be waiting in line at Book Soup for the book signing.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM

How about some good old gaffers tape.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Senior Member, Literally

I stuck some black Gorilla tape on the obvious wear spots. Tough stuff.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

D'yuh dink mine'd look bedda wit' neon blue garilla tape'r international orange garilla tape?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
LIVFAST

Oh java - you a j2ee guy? I know you dig struts and spring .

Nitto/philliam - will check that out.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
D'yuh dink mine'd look bedda wit' neon blue garilla tape'r international orange garilla tape?

Your supposed to put it inside old man.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM
EYECELLEM

Oh . . by'da way sal . . Don'z been sellin'da originalz for $29.95 on'da site.
I foun'eeze on Amazon for $19.99

[/QUOTE]

I got mine for $9.95...someones making a tidy profit.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM

My top started to tear at the same location as well. one side is worse than the other side. I was going to patch up the inside with gorilla tape. I don't know what other people have sucessfully used to make the tears from the outside look less noticeable. any ideas?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Deimos8988 View Post
My top started to tear at the same location as well. one side is worse than the other side. I was going to patch up the inside with gorilla tape. I don't know what other people have sucessfully used to make the tears from the outside look less noticeable. any ideas?
Someone on one of the S2K sites is cutting up tops and selling pieces of top to use as patch material.

But, before you patch it be sure you file down the sharp weld flaw, and do something to fix the strap (http://www.modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm).
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I try to put the top up/down s little as possible, a good way to avoid stressing the fabric.
I also bought the boot to protect the top while down.

-jazzman
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Soft top patch materials

Deimos8988 says: My top started to tear at the same location as well. one side is worse than the other side. I was going to patch up the inside with gorilla tape. I don't know what other people have sucessfully used to make the tears from the outside look less noticeable. any ideas?
Hey Deimos - I went to a local custom shop here in Santa Barbara and the owner gave me a 5"x5" piece of black canvas soft top material and recommended that I apply 3M's gasket glue to both the top and the patch and then apply some pressure for a few minutes, which I did. I first cut the material into a small circle about the size of a silver dollar and glued it to the inside of the top. The glue is awesome stuff and it really worked well. It's been holding for more than a year without any signs of wear. Here's the link to the 3M adhesive as sold at AutoZone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=934735

Good luck with the repair.

Bob
Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM

I have some stitching ( about inch and half ) on the outside of my top driver's side in the same area as this post coming undone, no leaks yet no tears so I am experimenting with a tape called Uglu which is an outdoor fabric tape. I put it on the underside and then did some extra taping all around the seems that run up and down under the bars and across, it's black so you don't notice it. Not sure if it will slow down the process that begun but had to try something.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM

the Black Hole Patch works great and looks good put on to protect before the ware starts see the photos