Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP1 "EZ ON" Gray cloth top w/ glass conv. install

Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Dismember

AP1 "EZ ON" Gray cloth top w/ glass conv. install

As title suggests, I am going to bear it all tomorrow and install a gray cloth replacement EZ-ON top w/ glass! I am going to post before/after and clarify where I can for future installs.

I figured I would contribute and offer up the manual that came w/ my EZ-ON I recieved from autotopsdirect.com last week so I have scanned and uploaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?yr3g2g6u3wv97gw

This is defitely going to be challenging but i have printed out some other manuals to help me along the way:

A robins top install on AP1 from Cyclon36 of s2ki...
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=448840

An OEM top install from Clovis on s2ki...
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/99683-installed-02-glass-top-on-00-frame-instructions-w-pictures/
His PDF: http://www.s2000.org/mods/top/s2k_glass_top_instructions_v2.pdf

If anyone has experience w/ the EZ-ON and can elloborate on any step, please share. If not, looking forward to sharing what might be the first gray top install on silverstone s2k.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Dismember

2 Days off and 16 hours later my gray EZ-ON top has been installed!

Some quick notes before I share some pics:

1) The name "EZ-ON" is a JOKE, this thing was a nightmare to assemble!
2) The quality of the stayfast cloth is very nice but...
3) The quality of the workmenship on the top is less than nice. Specifically, many holes for mounting fabric and/or plastic strips to frame are not drilled or the drill holes for plastic do not meet up w/ fabric.
4) The instructions are terrible...I mean, TERRIBLE. All the pictures are too close up and you can often not tell what area they are working on.
5) In light of the poor instructions, I have missed an ancor point and the fabric bunches slightly towards the bottom/rear side of window. You can see in pictures the bunching effect and the probable culpret.

I am really sorry but I did not shoot pictures along the way. I was in survival mode the entire time. With that said, anyone can feel free to PM me in the future if they attempt this install. I have a very good understanding how this top fits on now.

My recommendation: Go w/ Robbins or OEM. They could not be worse than this top. I have read the Robbins is an easier install and I tend to believe it without even having experience w/ both.

OK, on w/ the pics...

Before:

After:

The bunching, outlined, can be seen better in this pic:

Close-up of bunching reveals fabric tab that has to be secured:

Where I believe the fabric needs to be mounted is shown below. The top that runs along the window is correctly installed under the seal but this fabric tab that is causing bunching should be mounted in that area as well to pull the fabric taught...

This is the part of the instructions which thru me off. I mounted the fabric, as mentioned above, that ran along the window. The extra piece runs along the front rear rain rail which needs to be secured. It looks like that was left out in instructional picture as well....

Thoughts? Suggestions or experiences with this area? Please share!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM

looks good......I like the grey top with the silver body.

now that you've got some practice, come do mine.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM
THE STIG

Wow, looks like a HUGE PITA!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Dismember

I forgot to ask...has anyone experienced this issue w/ the section of top by the latches? My old top did this as well and it defintely contributes to wind noise. Any fixes out there?

Note: The effect is really exxagerated from the angle I shot at. It does not look that bad from other angles.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Dismember

Originally Posted by jagg View Post

Thanks man, I was not sure how it was going to look but I do like the color combo. It looks better in person imo.

Haaahahaha....You can certainly PM me if you have trouble w/ yours!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 AM
THE STIG

+1!!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM

don't forget to wash it with Woolite once or twice a year......really keeps it in good shape......I've had a couple of stayfast cloth tops, and this made a difference.

as far as your top goes..........latch that puppy up for a few days.
hopefully in the sun. When it gets good and hot, wet it, let it dry all the way, and wet it again. It'll help it conform to the shape of the roof structure.

I doubt you need me to tell you that, srry.

jagg
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Dismember

don't forget to wash it with Woolite once or twice a year...........latch that puppy up for a few days.
hopefully in the sun. When it gets good and hot, wet it, let it dry all the way, and wet it again. It'll help it conform to the shape of the roof structure.

I doubt you need me to tell you that, srry.

jagg
Thanks for the tips! I would have never thought about Woolite. I will probably do that after tweaking the problem area. It has already got a few dirty handprints from install.

The fitment of the top turned out really nice imo. It's just that one issue that needs to be addressed. That is not going to conform by itself, if you meant that. Actually, if anything the top is going to stretch out a little. It was a bitch to secure but I would rather have it taught then loose and supposedly they are all like that after new install.

Thanks again bud
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 AM

The fitment of the top turned out really nice imo. It's just that one issue that needs to be addressed. That is not going to conform by itself, if you meant that

not my intention........you're gonna have to fix that. If you don't, you're gonna get a wet ***.

good luck with it.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Tail Light Show

Probably would have been better off just trading the car in for a Miata...

lol... Just kidding.... Looks good! Glad you finished it yesterday too... Can't wait to see it in person...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Tail Light Show

not my intention........you're gonna have to fix that. If you don't, you're gonna get a wet ***.

good luck with it.
Well with the weather expected for the next 2 days... His *** will certainly be wet lol
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Dismember

Had a chance to readdress my bunching issue this weekend.

The EZ ON instructions did not depict area well enough but I managed to find this picture which shows correct install of that area. In the pic below you can see the top mounted to convertible frame, I did not have the second flap mounted as shown:

Name:  IMG_2721.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  72.2 KB

Simple fix and area is now taught

I moved on to remove my windshield tape. This stuff was on there for 10 years so it did not come off easy. 6 hours and a half bottle off "Goof off" later, I managed to clean it up and I must say- the color matched trim looks great w/ new gray top!....

Before/After:

As my original post indicates, I suggest people stay away from EZ-ON in light of poor instructions and mis-aligned holes. The product, however, is now perfect so if you wanted to save a few hundred bucks and end up going w/ the EZ-ON, give me a hollar if you get caught up.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Tail Light Show

Fap fap fap
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM

ill be doin this conversion soon [from autotops on ebay 450$!] im a lil surprised to see how the dimensions are cut in half visibility is gonna suck even more!. n all winter I was wondering "how is the glass not gonna break as the plastic presently folds in half?" now I get it , it's the same size as the top half of the orig plastic.....shitty
Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Dismember

Wow, that's a great price- is that shipped? Cloth material or vinyl? Brand? I paid 544 for my gray cloth ez-on w/ glass window shipped to CT.

You are right; the top is roughly half the size which allows it to lay down without breaking. I could barely see out of that shitty plastic though so I would much rather have something half the size that I can see thru. Plus, the rearview sits so close to the rear anyways so you donít lose that much visibility.

As far as aesthetics go, I think the car looks more sleek with the shorter height window. See my pic above. The look has really grown on me already. Like pin-striping your car makes it look lower and more sleek, this window has the same effect.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 PM

I did this same install on a friend of mines S about 2-3 weeks ago, Had the same issue on the side with the bunching it was tough to get it taught well but ended up working its way. He got a great deal on it too with some ebay coupon it was around 400.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM

With cleared corners and side markers I think the car would look great!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Nice. I still haven't gotten the side parts underneath that window seal area on mine yet. Was really tight there to get it to go over completely to be bolted down on mine.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Dismember

Thought I would post an update as I get alot of interest regarding top and concern about fitment.

I fastened the tab as previously outlined in this thread which has made the problem areas conform much better...

I will still probably adjust the driver side as there is a small amount of bunching even after fastening tab down. This is because the holes were not pre-punched. I punched with a heated scribe so I melted and did not tear the fabric. I need to pull the tab another 4-5 mm to compensate for something on the driver side- no biggy but waiting for my buddy to have some free time for assistance.

All in all, I think it came out great for my first top. I learned enough to warn to stay away from EZ-ON. I feel Robbins, who has been in the game for awhile, would have done a better job w/ conforming the material, punching holes and writing instructions. The material is thinner than my OEM top but I am not sure if Robbins would be any better....

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
THE STIG

Nice!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM

Hello from Australia. I cant remember if I have the same brand top but it was indeed a PITA (and it looks liek yours except black) and the absolute worst thing I have ever tried to do in my life. Instead of teh recommended 12 hours, it took my brother and I over 24 hours continuously working to get this damn top on and mine is still all bunched up at the edges near the drivers door. Just a few questions:
1. Do i need to take the top off (we already took it off completely once as the instructions were so bad that we left a part out) to fix the side bunching ?
2.If I cannot fold my top right back , does it mean something to do with the elastic straps? (I just cannot get the thing to go right down and i think it is something to do with the glass?
3. I could never get the demister to work as teh connection parts they gave in the kit don't seem to connect to power and the quality was so crap that the wire connector to teh glass came off as well. Any tips on connecting this?