Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's removed the convertible top assembly?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Who's removed the convertible top assembly?

Is it hard to do and do you think that re-installation would be difficult?

I didn't buy my S for the convertible part, I bought it because I love the car for other reasons. So I just bought a factory hardtop today and I was considering removing the soft-top completely for the weight savings and to clean up the rear deck. But I'm also concerned with what that does to the 'value' of the car. So I wanted to know what sort of job it was to remove the soft-top and how difficult it would be to put back in if I change my mind. If it's a royal pain I'll just leave it in the car. But it would be cool to save the weight and also have a clean look in back. Sort of a shame really since my soft-top is mint even at ten years old! Thanks in advance.

P.S. Can you install the boot cover with hardtop on? That would be another way to clean up the rear deck if the top stays in the car.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Got S2000?

There's a thread or two that prove what I'll tell you, that removing the soft top is...indeed...a major pain in the ****. So, I'm sure re-installing it is just as difficult, if not more. If you plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off, then go for it. But if you plan on selling it at any point in the next few years, I think you'll want to keep the soft top in. Agree?

I'm sure the boot cover will go on without the top there, but it may not be supported very well, ya know?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
Can you install the boot cover with hardtop on? That would be another way to clean up the rear deck if the top stays in the car.
Nope.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
There's a thread or two that prove what I'll tell you, that removing the soft top is...indeed...a major pain in the ****. So, I'm sure re-installing it is just as difficult, if not more. If you plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off, then go for it. But if you plan on selling it at any point in the next few years, I think you'll want to keep the soft top in. Agree?
Thanks. I guess that about wraps that up, I'll leave it in there. I don't want to go down a one-way street! I thought if it was easy I'd do it but not if it's a pain.

Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
Nope.
Bummer!

Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM

... Can you install the boot cover with hardtop on? That would be another way to clean up the rear deck if the top stays in the car.
You might pick-up a used one and trim so it can go on with the hardtop in place
Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You might pick-up a used one and trim so it can go on with the hardtop in place
That's a great idea! I wouldn't hack up the original boot but if I had a donor boot just for the project... There always seems to be more than a few boot covers for sale, some of them even dirt cheap. I guess I have another winter project.

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 01-30-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Just buy one without the soft top ! : P
Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM

I've removed the soft top. It does save quite a bit of weight plus lower the center of gravity. It is noticeable and I love the clean look. Don't be too worried about the value of the car, just keep the soft top for when you sell it. Plus hardtops should increase the value of the car too.

Removing it is time consuming, not hard though. Took me probably 7 hours but totally worth it.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by AP1S2000 View Post
Plus hardtops should increase the value of the car too.
Ya, probably the same $1000 I just paid....we don't own cars to make any money that's for sure!

Originally Posted by AP1S2000 View Post
It is noticeable and I love the clean look.
I'm jealous, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road if it's a pain to reverse. The last thing I want is to change my mind later on and have to put it all back in if the job is difficult. At least not until my soft-top is shot...which will probably never happen now with a hardtop. If the soft-top was shot and I had no intention of replacing it there would be little reason to keep the frame/motors in the car. But my top is near mint so that makes my decision a little harder. Maybe I'll change my mind later but for now I think I'll just leave the rag-top in place. I'm just gutless I guess.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Trqless

You got a Silverstone Hardtop for only $1000?!?!?!?!

That's hella cheap if it's OEM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SXY_S2K View Post
You got a Silverstone Hardtop for only $1000?!?!?!?! .
No, it's mint OEM hardtop in NFR....gotta get it painted! There was a Silverstone hardtop up in Seattle for $1700. I was going to buy that one but it sold by the time I got around to making plans to go up there. I figure this one will be about equal once I shell out for the paint. Plus I have to buy the brackets for the car. So I'll be out of pocket $2000 by the time I'm done is my best guess. Not a steal but better than a new one for $3500(if you could even buy a new Silverstone top).

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 01-30-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Hybrid Hater

Ya, probably the same $1000 I just paid....we don't own cars to make any money that's for sure!
Yeah I would like to know if you got an oem for 1K as well. And where if you did lol. Because I just laid down 3570 for one from hardtopguy.

I have been having this debate with myself the last few days as well. I have looked into it a lot. It doesnt look hard but I imagine it is very time consuming. Its very tempting. I dont drop the top much but there are a couple times a year I do and I am very happy with the experience.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

I'm not a convertible guy and I love the hardtop. Plus my soft top was in horrible condition so the choice wasn't too hard. If your top is in good shape, don't remove it. Just keep it on.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Hybrid Hater

Ugh you almost had me convinced now I am unsure again! O well ill see how I like the hardtop I guess. My soft top is in mint condition except for the plastic rear window. Its all fogged up.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
My soft top is in mint condition except for the plastic rear window. Its all fogged up.
Have you tried to polish it? Mine had a few scuffs from rubbing the rear deck while it was down. I used Meguiars PlastX on it and it looks nearly new now.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Hybrid Hater

Not yet. I have a machine polisher I just have yet to try it on that window. I am pretty sure I could get it out. I use 3m plastic cleaner and plastic polish on headlghts for people when they ask me to. I think that might work good on it. Ill have to try it sometime. It would be super easy if it was off the car....
Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 0tyrael0 View Post
Not yet. I have a machine polisher I just have yet to try it on that window. I am pretty sure I could get it out. I use 3m plastic cleaner and plastic polish on headlghts for people when they ask me to. I think that might work good on it. Ill have to try it sometime. It would be super easy if it was off the car....
No doubt!...it was a beoch polishing the inside! I did mine by hand with a 100% cotton cloth.

I was concerned that a power polisher might generate some heat or that I'd rub some of the surrounding vinyl on the top. So I took it slow. The outside was no prob, but on the inside I felt like I had to be double jointed to work around those dang roll-hoops and headrests. What a pain!