Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision on a rear spoiler or no?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Suzuka

Decision on a rear spoiler or no?

I havent quite decided if i want a rear spoiler. They look nice and if i got one it would be a replica, Which one would youget and if you already have one pics please? thx
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Hybrid Hater

Im gonna get the AP1 oem spoiler next summer. I like that one over all other spoilers available.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Suzuka

Is that the one that covers the 3rd light?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Hybrid Hater

Yep. This one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s2rs.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3198  
Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Suzuka

nice, i like the ap2 version I might get that one. i already have the ap2 front lip
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
"Enjoy the drive"

I went withan AP2 replica and did the install myself. If I. Would do it again I would gotten an OEM one. They are better quality and come pre-painted. Pay the extra and do it right.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 AM

FWIW: I'm a believer of function over form. But on occasion, I'm fascinated by bright and shiny objects.

As far as form (as in styling/aesthetics) is concerned; Its all about your personal taste, be confident, go your own direction, whatever floats your boat. Its your car, make it express what you want it to.

As far as function goes for an S2000 street application: I see more negatives than positives. (For track applications, obviously the needs, speeds, and environment are different.)
1. All spoilers, wings, side strakes, fender skirts, front lips, splitters, et cetera, add weight to your car. More weight = less acceleration from 0 mph/kph on up.
2. Any time you attempt to block, blunt, or re-direct air flow on a vehicle, you create wind resistance. More resistance = less acceleration as speed increases.
3. With every piece of stuff you bolt onto your car, you increase the number of items that can crack, break, fail, flap and/or falter.
4. Your gas mileage may suffer. (Okay, this one is probably a very minor issue for most Stewie enthusiats, but theoretically, its still there.)
5. Base S2000s are ever-so-slightly tail heavy with a 49/51 weight distribution front/rear, adding more weight to the tail will exaggerate this subtle imbalance.

The only body additions that I believe actually provide a functional benefit to an S2000 is the OEM CR setup. (Or genuinely race-proven track components.) I'm sure Honda used their vast R & D resources to physically test and refine the CR designs and confirmed their performance. But, these pieces were developed for legitimate road racing, not street applications. Even with the refinement of these pieces they still carry the same negative aspects listed above.

(Honda's claims regarding the CR bodywork only pertain to reducing lift at speed. Car and Driver magazine stated the CR was slower at acceleration than the base model dispite being slightly lighter. They attributed the poorer acceleration to the bodywork and aerodynamic drag. To be fair, Car and Driver also stated the CR was faster around a race track. Just keep in mind there were numerous other subtle improvements applied to the CR that had nothing to do with aerodynamics. Such as different; springs, sway bars, rear tire size, and steering ratio.)

With all of that said, I bet you can guess my choice. I feel the lines and curves of the base S bodywork should be left uncluttered. Just like a fine and shapely woman, less is more. ...

(CRs are limited-issue, narrowly-focused, street-legal, track machines. And as such, I honestly like their looks because it falls back to my opening statement. Function over form.)

(Yikes, I'm getting off my soapbox now, as I'm getting light-headed from the elevation.)
Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Suzuka

Thanks for your $1 add, it helped alot and you know what I think ill begood with the ap2 front lip. sure adds a little weight but not much. its still in the box so i could just sell it in a heart beat if i change my mind, and i might lol.