Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top support bar question

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Convertible top support bar question

I've seen a lot of problems with tears in the top. I was looking to see if anybody has placed anything around the support bar at that corner that seem to rub across the top.

Maybe some type of soft tape would keep the metal from scraping across the material. I have very thin cloth surgical type tape that I was thinking of wrapping around the bar, for just a few inches at that corner.

Has anybody tried anything preventive to place on the bar, other then trying to file it smooth if any little sharpish edge can be felt on the bar?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

i used ripstop fabric to patch the tear that is happening on my top, i was thinking about looping some around the bar so that it spins when the top moves up and down and pretty much eliminates any friction.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Put the top half way up/down (depending on if you are a pessimist or an optimist). Reach and feel where the pin is welded at the joint, mine had a razor sharp point sticking up from the weld. CAREFULLY FILE THIS SMOOTH!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 AM

That is a good idea. I'll check that part, as I'm kind of pessimistic will put half down.

I was also thinking of just wrapping a little mole skin around the bar to put a soft smooth area for the material to rub against.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

i actually investigated another option with help of confirmation via s2ki, and i was interested in using black shoe goo, applied with a razor, so as not to overload areas, and create a slick, thin glue surface that would reduce friction as well...i thought of the idea, but checked its practicallity and discovered there are other people who have done this shoe goo fix and for many years. i think i will give it a try as it is relatively cheap as well.