Test pipe choice

Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Test pipe choice

I installed an inexpensive dual catback last night.... took about 2 hours for the entire changeover.... Would have been much quicker except for the lack of a lift....It was a slide with a creeper job! Anyway... the install went very smoothly and the pipes sound good at upper RPMs and have a nice low growl at low RPMs, but they have the dreaded 3000-4000 RPM "drone"....and it's loud. After reading all the posts about a test pipe helping greatly with the drone issue I am about to get one. I have a choice though and am not sure which will work the best. There are completely straight old fasioned test pipes and there are ones with very small resonators in line with them.
Has anyone had experience with both of them and in your opinion which would tend to kill the drone the best?
Thanks for any help.
Next month I'll be bugging you guys about which FI is better...turbos or Vortech, but for right now just getting it to sound right will be a great improvement!
By the way. I notice the stock pipe has a small tubular chamber welded to the side at right angles behind the cat and some of the aftermarket catbacks have huge ones back between the mufflers. I'm assuming this is roughly the same as adding a balance tube between the pipes in a dual exhaust system and does something to dampen certain frequency sounds, but I'm not sure. Is that what it's for?

Last edited by fxbill; 09-19-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM
awesome

If you will be going FI, why are you changing the exhaust based on a stock set up? I'm pretty sure you're doing it backwards.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
awesome

oh, i think most people get the straight TP with CEL fix.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM
S2000.com Sponsor

Originally Posted by fxbill View Post
I'm assuming this is roughly the same as adding a balance tube between the pipes in a dual exhaust system and does something to dampen certain frequency sounds, but I'm not sure. Is that what it's for?
its not like a h/x-pipe, but it does have a purpose. i forget what the name of it is otherwise i'd let you know so you can read up on it if you wanted to.

imo check s2ki for someone selling a used 70mm invidia test pipe. usually around $80 shipped.

dont worry about the "built in" CEL fix, you can buy this part at auto zone for $4.00

you will need a drill (preferably corded..), a big *** drill bit (has to be bigger than the tip of your o2 sensor (you can just eye it, doesnt need to be exact) and either a vise or some vise grips.

drill one of the anti foulers out enough so that you can screw the o2 sensor into it, then screw the other one on the end and put the whole assembly in the test pipe.

i put some permatex copper on the threads on mine but i doubt its really necessary.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM

I'm not completely convinced with the FI yet. I'd like to just enjoy the car with a few simple things first....the exhaust and a cold air intake. I have to sit down and weigh the values of the extra horsepower vs the life of the engine with FI before actually doing anything. I've seen a great number of positive post for FI, but have also read some disasterous ones of people only running several thousand miles before handgrenading an engine. I need to give it some time and thought although at this point I'd love to do it since I'll be selling the Cobra pretty soon. I would like a little extra "poop" in the power end.
I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the car as it is though. Sure do love driving it.
Thanks for the pipe suggestion......and the Cel fix tip. I already have the cel fix adaptor....$9 premade on fleabay out of stainless.

Last edited by fxbill; 09-21-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM

what exhaust did u get?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Ohhh... I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it, but in the interest of the group I will. It was an experiment and I got them on fleabay for under $200 including shipping. I had them in one day. The machine tig welds are excellent, the build quality pretty good and the fitment is perfect. The only problem with them was with one weld on a hanger bracket that was almost non existant, but I quickly fixed that by retigging it at work.
The sound, quite surprisingly, is great and they sound similar with the baffles installed to what some on youtube sound like that cost 3-4 times as much and they have no drone. With the baffles out they sound similar to nvidias, but not quite as sharp....the drone, however, is unbearable. I'm hoping the test tube will help. The units are reasonable heavy duty and I'm actually not diasappointed with them at all. If you care to see them the item number was 290341529887. I wanted to try out something cheap before laying out a bundle and being disappointed with too loud of a sound, but as I said...as embarrassing as it is to admit how cheap they are, they have a great sound.
As a late addition....I did experience a small problem on a long drive today. I began to hear one of the baffles begin to buzz or rattle at a specific RPM. I haven't checked it yet to see if one of the mounting bolts came loose, but the nylocs weren't the greatest for them and I believe that's all it is. They do only have 2 mounting screws though and I'll probably add a third to them.

Last edited by fxbill; 09-21-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

All a test pipe will do improve an already great exhaust note,make it a little louder and will smell a little bit more. Don't expect a huge difference with drone, at first you won't notice any difference, although as time goes by the drone it will be come slightly more manageable. As far as brand, it's just a pipe, just match the dia. of the TP with the dia. of the exhaust you have.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM

I wasn't concerned with test pipe brands as much as I was whether one with a small resonator would be better than a straight test pipe with no resonator. I'm surprised you say that with all the posts I read about test pipes eliminating drone....not that I doubt anything anyone posts here, but there are some conflicts in information.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM

The id is critical in the NA setup. it has to 63 mm or there will be a performance loss.

Jonathan
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Please forgive my ignorance... the "NA setup"?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Intermediate Member

NA = naturally aspirated meaning no turbo/supercharger or forced induction
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Thank you...that I understand....Mine has 2.5" (per side) and makes 672HP NA! (on the Cobra)...but I believe the Honda exhaust is slightly smaller...closer to 2.25". I've felt no loss in power though....and Nvidia runs 60mm which is very close to 2.25". Not contradicting you....just learning..(about the Honda). I work in the film industry doing special effects. We build a great number of specialty vehicles and hot rods for films, including the Fast and Furious cars, the Transformer vehicles and my boss is a car nut. He owns one of the last 7 Dale Ernhardt cars in existance and one of the only 2 custom hot rods of it's kind in the world. Tim Allen has the other. He also has 6 frame off restored Woodies. I'll try to post some photos off my phone tonight. I took a few at work today. We are making all the cars for "The Green Hornet" which is now filming. The cars are Chrysler Imperials with suicide doors....machine guns in the doors and under the hood, a flame thrower coming out of the front grille, etc.... quite impressive looking...
I've owned hot rods all my life....10 Corvettes...all older than 1969, 2 Sunbeam Tigers, 1 Rambler Scrambler, a 440 six pack Cuda, Lotus Elan, 928 S4 Porsche, 911 Porsche, several MGAs, MGBs, TR4s, TR3s, a Jag XK120, an XK150, an XKE coupe and convertable.....and I'm sure a few I'm not remembering right now...when you get over 60 you begin to lose your memory!lol

Last edited by fxbill; 09-22-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Here are some quick photos of a few of the cars I was talking about earlier. Sorry... I had to get them on a phone and email them to myself.... the quality is rather poor. One is the Woody, one the Dale E car, the one of two in existance roadster and the ice cream truck from Transformers 2 that's being restored and setup for my boss to have another toy! Wrong order, but you can figure them out I'm sure!lol I checked and can't post any of the Green Hornet car until the release of the film....confidentiality and all that cxxp.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2153   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2154   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.3 KB