engine noise at start up

Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 PM

engine noise at start up

I own a pretty low mileage car, a 2002 with 20k on the clock. I know there is contraversary about buying low mileage cars. I never bought it. Low miles good; high bad. But I am beginning to wonder now.

When I start the car in the morning, there is for the first few secs, more mechanical noise. It immediately quiets after that. Once the car is warm, it does not make the same noise when started.

Wondering if there might be damage from starting the car after sitting idle for months (this was common for the previous owner). Internals fired up without enough oil coating.

Just wondering.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Takes a few seconds for the oil to circulate and part to warm up. Unless it's very loud it's not a problem. Keep in mind this is a high performance, aluminum block and head engine. Aint gonna sound like a sedan.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Site Owner

Does it sound like a grinding noise for about a second or two after its already started? If so, I have had the same problem since I've had it. It only does it when its cold outside and a cold startup. Someone suggested changing the MTF since theres moving parts and that didn't fix it. It sounds like the starter is still trying to start the engine and is grinding after its started. Im thinking about taking it in to get it checked out.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Philosopher

I agree with Phil. I don't think it anything to be too concerned about. It takes a little while for the oil to get where it's going.

This is one good reason to be sure you use the proper viscosity oil that Honda recommends. Some people think a higher viscosity is better wear protection but that ain't so. Higher viscosity means thicker. Thicker means it won't flow as quickly. 70% of the wear on an average engine is caused by cold starts, so the quicker the oil flows, the less wear will occur.

Just my opinion, but I think synthetic oils "cling" to internal parts a little better than conventional oils, so when the engine is shut off and the oil drains down there is still a little film of oil to give some protection during cold starts. I read a test on this somewhere and it made sense to me.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Banned for Life

A little rattle could be the sign of the TCT going bad as well. If it completely stops, its a little weird, but check into it. I know you have low miles but that spring will lose tension after a while I would presume. Make sure you have enough oil in the car a make sure you dont need a valve adjustment. Age > Miles.

My 02
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Village Pyro

Originally Posted by D1sclaimer View Post
Does it sound like a grinding noise for about a second or two after its already started? If so, I have had the same problem since I've had it. It only does it when its cold outside and a cold startup. Someone suggested changing the MTF since theres moving parts and that didn't fix it. It sounds like the starter is still trying to start the engine and is grinding after its started. Im thinking about taking it in to get it checked out.
Ill jump into this one. My car also makes the above explained noise. (I dont think thats much of a problem).

What is kinda concerning me is that when I start my S up I hear tinking from under the hood. Now while driving it will go away. But if I shut off the car just to fill up and check oil it comes right back. I aint got a clue what it is.

I also dont want to think as to how much a valve adjustment on her would cost.....

2002 70k miles
Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Member, Literally

"start my S up I hear tinking from under the hood"

Tinking?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 PM
02 s2k

Id be willing to bet its the Auto tensioner.......mine sounds like that sometimes and then goes away...i will be replacing it (150) soon enough......this seems to be a very common problem w/ these S's.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Site Owner

Mines definately not the TCT. It just grinds. Heres a vid I made of it. You kinda have to listen closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80wHXlTFEU
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by D1sclaimer View Post
Mines definately not the TCT. It just grinds. Heres a vid I made of it. You kinda have to listen closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80wHXlTFEU
Yea that deff didnt sound like the TCT i had to replace mine so nice when that dam ticking is gone
Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Village Pyro

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
"start my S up I hear tinking from under the hood"

Tinking?
I feel like one of those characters trying to make the noice for the mechanic and lookin like an idiot while doin it. Ill have to drag out a camera and see what I get.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSoundMan21 View Post
I feel like one of those characters trying to make the noice for the mechanic and lookin like an idiot while doin it. Ill have to drag out a camera and see what I get.
Take a video of you trying to make the noise, then post it here. I promise not to put it on youtube.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Village Pyro

Originally Posted by DJJSR View Post
Take a video of you trying to make the noise, then post it here. I promise not to put it on youtube.
lol hell if I did that I would put it on youtube I might be the next numa numa vid.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM

Could be a seized idler/tensioner and the belt is rubbing on it....you can actually pop the aux belt off dead easy (15mm spanner on the tensioner) on the twinks and then start the car and see if the noise goes - can also spin the tensioner and idler and check for roughness…
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 AM
mlc

Sorry but 5+ year old thread??????
Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
THE STIG

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM

Noise at start up

Mine would also making a ticking sound at start up. The oil pressure was fine then one day I started it and I it now sounds as if a bearing is bad I'm going to have to pull the engine and have new bearing put in. I hope that is the only issue. Does anyone know of a show that is good about working on these types of engines in the Tacoma, WA area?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM
House of CR.

You may just need something simple like a valve adjustment. Can you post a video of the noise so we can evaluate the problem? There is an active S2000 group in the PNW on S2KI.com if your looking for a shop recommendation.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I agree. Make a video with the best sound you can get from about 5 or 6 feet in front of the car. Post it on the other site and see what you get. Billman is pretty good about identifying sounds. Often a TCT makes a ticking sound that can decrease. Its a common issuer. BYW, Billman will sell you his custom TCT that is guaranteed for life I believe. Better than sandblasting the worm screw.

Even changing oil brand/viscosity (0W-30) may change things along with a valve adjust.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I agree. Make a video with the best sound you can get from about 5 or 6 feet in front of the car. Post it on the other site and see what you get. Billman is pretty good about identifying sounds. Often a TCT makes a ticking sound that can decrease. Its a common issuer. BYW, Billman will sell you his custom TCT that is guaranteed for life I believe. Better than sandblasting the worm screw.

Even changing oil brand/viscosity (0W-30) may change things along with a valve adjust.
+1