test pipe?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM

test pipe?

Hello all.

i meant to ask this question but wasn't sure if it wasn't posted before. i did a lil bit of backtracking and searching but didn't find any so thought i would ask. (sorry if this is repeated question...)

i am kinda looking into buying a new exhaust (i have stock right now) and i come across all these test pipes that comes with or requires. i understand it is to replace the catalytic converter and here is my question.

when test pipe replaces the converter, does that have anything to do with emission level changing? for example, if i were to get the test pipe installed and go to a shop to get my emission done, will it pass??

i know it might be a dumb question to ask but please bare with me.
i am a noob here

thanks in advance all!!!!

Tae
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Philosopher

Originally Posted by n3o729 View Post
when test pipe replaces the converter, does that have anything to do with emission level changing? for example, if i were to get the test pipe installed and go to a shop to get my emission done, will it pass??
Emissions levels WILL increase and your car WILL NOT pass the test. The "test pipe" got it's name because it's only supposed to be used as a test. The theory is that if your car is not running right and you suspect a plugged up converter, you remove the converter, install the test pipe and see how the car runs. If it runs ok, it confirms that the converter is bad. Some guys think it's ok to run a test pipe instead of a converter. I'm not one of them. I don't like pollution.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

When you go through the emissions test in VA the test is via the ECU plug. As soon as it reads that there is no cat, you've failed. VA emissions testing is thorough, quick and accurate.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Andiamo Veloce

My .02 about TPs.
If you install it, you will like it for a couple of weeks. After that, the ricey sound and the smell when you stop for a light will convince you the cat is a better idea.

Been there,done that.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM

thanks guys!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 AM
awesome

Originally Posted by batguano View Post
My .02 about TPs.
If you install it, you will like it for a couple of weeks. After that, the ricey sound and the smell when you stop for a light will convince you the cat is a better idea.

Been there,done that.
nice insight bat! i never would have thought about the smell, but it makes sense.