K & N air intake vs stock intake

Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM

K & N air intake vs stock intake

Is there any difference between leaving the stock air box open with a K & N air filter vs the FPK system? Please give me your thoughts.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

Not really i dont think, they both suck in hot air that most people want to avoid.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Resident Track Whore :)

I disagree. I noticed a lot more throttle response through the power band. Also, 3 previous times at Laguna Seca, I hit a consistent 101-103 on the front straight. With the FIPK, I hit 108 consistently, and it was under the same conditions as the previous time. Plus, my gas mileage has gone up 3-5 mpg. I consistently did 20-23 mpg, now doing 25-28 mpg. I thought it turned out to be money well spent.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM

i'm sold... where's a good place to order one? I see you can order them at autozone and pepboys.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by wasabiman View Post
i'm sold... where's a good place to order one? I see you can order them at autozone and pepboys.
PM sent.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably get the FPK.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Wisdom begins in wonder.

Originally Posted by Vezna31 View Post
I disagree. I noticed a lot more throttle response through the power band. Also, 3 previous times at Laguna Seca, I hit a consistent 101-103 on the front straight. With the FIPK, I hit 108 consistently, and it was under the same conditions as the previous time. Plus, my gas mileage has gone up 3-5 mpg. I consistently did 20-23 mpg, now doing 25-28 mpg. I thought it turned out to be money well spent.
Just to be clear, i have no doubt that the K&N works i was just refering to taken the top cover off the stock box.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:26 PM

went on a drive with veszna on saturday, and his car did seem to have a little more low end pull than the rest of us who were all stock. plus, it sounded a lot cooler, not to mention it looks nice in the engine bay. It sits in the very front passenger side corner and looks to get the most "cool" air possible and it has a plastic piece that looks like a heat shield. We talked about it a little at breakfast, and he did say you can notice some heat soak after a while. general consensus tho, was don't pull the top cover off the stock airbox. If you look inside the stock airbox, there's a partition in there. I'm not quite sure what purpose this serves, but I was thinking about cutting it out. "Hell on wheels" did this and even drilled some holes in the side of the airbox closest to the passenger side on the bottom. Right behind the passenger side headlight, there's a hole, that looks to direct some more outside air into the engine bay and could possibly add more cool air to the airbox, if those holes are drilled in the side. Not sure if it adds any efficiency, but it sounds a little throatier.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 PM

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pr...del_text=s2000
just found it at this website for 243.00 and shipping is free.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 PM

just ordered it. and they charged me 17 bucks for tax, but gave a 10 dollar discount, with free shipping, I paid 250.00.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Wasabiman- I have seen other people route a flexible plastic pipe from the fender hole into the airbox. This means that it was still not drawing any hot air from inside the engine bay.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bobby2002S2K View Post
Just to be clear, i have no doubt that the K&N works i was just refering to taken the top cover off the stock box.
Yes, taking the cover off the stock box will do nothing but add some noise and probably become a vacuum for hot air, decreasing power.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Member, Literally

According to a filter evaluation I read, the K&N does allow more air to pass. But, it also doesn't filter as well. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you change oil more often.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM

I was looking to purchase a K&N air filter for my car but I wasnt sure about back pressure. I am most likely a bit over-concerned but I am really wary of doing anything that will affect or offset the dialed in specific tolerances from factory.

My fear is that it will eventually create undue stress to the engine. Ive heard that when using a cold air intake to be truly careful of using low grade (cheaper) intakes because they will destroy an engine over time. Causing you to have ticking in the engine and burning up head-gaskets.

Actually makes your engine run hotter when you have a cheaper setup not dialed in properly I believe.

What is a really good cold air intake. That will not cause any of these problems or issues?

Thanks

Blurrrrrrr....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by philiam View Post
According to a filter evaluation I read, the K&N does allow more air to pass. But, it also doesn't filter as well. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you change oil more often.
You mean change the air filter, right??
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by Vezna31 View Post
You mean change the air filter, right??
No, I believe the K&N filter is re usable. It must be cleaned and oiled
periodically. However, it is said to be less efficient at blocking smaller
particles of dust than the good pleated paper filters. That is why the
engines run a little better with the K&N. It's a trade off. That's why your oil may get a little dirtier, faster.
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 AM
HondaOwnerSinceForEver

Just get a snorkle and leave everything else stock people ...jeez..Dont you trust honda engineers yet? I think they put a little bit more effort into this motor than any of us "geniuses" in here.lol
Old 10-08-2007, 03:27 AM

Honda isnt perfect no matter what the internet told you little boy. Since modding a car is so bad we should race. I just have a single tip exhaust CAUSE ITS MUCH LIGHTER THEN STOCK and a few small things under the hood. Itd be fun. You know me being a ricer and all vs you.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Blurrr... View Post
I was looking to purchase a K&N air filter for my car but I wasnt sure about back pressure. I am most likely a bit over-concerned but I am really wary of doing anything that will affect or offset the dialed in specific tolerances from factory.

My fear is that it will eventually create undue stress to the engine. Ive heard that when using a cold air intake to be truly careful of using low grade (cheaper) intakes because they will destroy an engine over time. Causing you to have ticking in the engine and burning up head-gaskets.

Actually makes your engine run hotter when you have a cheaper setup not dialed in properly I believe.

Go to S2KCA' s site and read medicalstudent's write up on Mugen. Mugen was started by one of Honda's sons, it's very informative.

Jonathan

What is a really good cold air intake. That will not cause any of these problems or issues?

Thanks

Blurrrrrrr....
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
HondaOwnerSinceForEver

Originally Posted by s2000isu View Post
Honda isnt perfect no matter what the internet told you little boy. Since modding a car is so bad we should race. I just have a single tip exhaust CAUSE ITS MUCH LIGHTER THEN STOCK and a few small things under the hood. Itd be fun. You know me being a ricer and all vs you.
We should...where do you stay?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by frontline762 View Post
We should...where do you stay?

I want video...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
HondaOwnerSinceForEver

Absolutely
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM

dang frontline, of course honda engineers these cars to perfection, but if some of us want to open up the intake a little to get more performance what's the big deal? I am a believer in the k&n fipk since I've installed it, vinny was right about a little smoother throttle response and the gas mileage has gone up by a couple miles. Am I really hurting motor? I doubt it. Do I drive like a maniac and try to race every fool with a fart can? No... Is it fun to personalize your ride and hear the motor scream while carving the side of a mountain? Yes I think so. My car will most likely stay mostly stock with the exception of some lighter rims, but that's my decision isn't it? I'm just curious as to why you think you can down others and sit up on your high horse, and then say things like, "jeez i'm nice now." Please dude, it's getting old.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Well I am from pa so we are kinda far. We could always put up slips though see whos honda is more perfect. I will be going next week if weather holds.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
HondaOwnerSinceForEver

Originally Posted by wasabiman View Post
I'm just curious as to why you think you can down others and sit up on your high horse, and then say things like, "jeez i'm nice now." Please dude, it's getting old.
Just Keyshia Cole it man....Let It Go

Last edited by frontline762; 10-13-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Member, Literally

There is a lot of discussion regarding air filters such as K&N, Amsoil etc. For those that want to learn a little more, here is an in depth article.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Proud Member

Philiam,

Wow, Reading all that on the website gave me a headache. I have a very short attention span, so please tell me. I'm seriously considering getting the K&N air intake. I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe to use on Stewie?

Is it better than the stock system?

Does it have attachments for all the hoses hooked up to the stock intake system? If not, how do I get around that?

Will I have to make any type of modifications to install it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by Jbeni96 View Post
Philiam,

Wow, Reading all that on the website gave me a headache. I have a very short attention span, so please tell me. I'm seriously considering getting the K&N air intake. I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe to use on Stewie?

I don't think it'll blow the engine. Might wear a little faster.
With a foam filter you might want to change oil a little more often. The article illustrates the difference in filtration.

Is it better than the stock system?

I prefer the system that the Honda guys put on the car.
I don't race and the car goes fast enough for me. But then I'm an old dude. I prefer the better filtration. I have a pristine 2002 and I love her the way she is

Does it have attachments for all the hoses hooked up to the stock intake system? If not, how do I get around that?

I have no experience with that set up. You can use a K&N
with the stock box.

Will I have to make any type of modifications to install it?
Not sure, but I seem to recall a notch or cut out for the cooler air. Hope I didn't confuse you. Mebe some one out there can come up with better answers. A lot of guys put stuff on their Stewies to be cool. Unless they really know their way around they are at odds with Honda's engineers
and throwing things out of balance. Bad karma.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 AM

guys... is the FPK system like a AEM cold air intake? I still have the stock air intake on my 02 spa, what can i do to help increase power, i got 300 bux to blow... lemme know. - Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Road Ripper

nooooooooo! get it from www.autoanything.com! its stupid cheap for a complete typhoon intake!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM

I enjoyed reading this thread, if not for any reason other than to see proof that nothing throws Philiam off his intended course. You rock Philiam. Good info, and a wisely written post old timer! Trust the judgment of your elders, lads. You don't get down the road that far without knowing something about something!

See, I'm nice now too!!! haha.

Best Regards,
jagg
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Gosh, Jag (blush) thanks for the affirmation.

Here's what the serious racers use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra engine.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	275   Click image for larger version

Name:	birdcage engine.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	276   Click image for larger version

Name:	cosworth ford.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	277   Click image for larger version

Name:	offy alard.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	278  
Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 AM

very nice pics Philiam,

I want to hang out with my camera round the circles you run in. (that brit ford looks awsome, but I don't see any K+N on it)

best regards,
jagg

Last edited by jagg; 11-06-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: high cholesterol
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Blurrr... View Post

Thanks

Blurrrrrrr....
Mugen of course.

Jonathan
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
very nice pics Philiam,

I want to hang out with my camera round the circles you run in. (that brit ford looks awsome, but I don't see any K+N on it)

best regards,
jagg
Been at it a lotta years (since I was 12). Used to cover all the local races, especially Riverside for a little Racing paper. Got a shot of Dan Gurney driving a stock car at Riverside. Those were the days.
Got some of that feeling back with press credentials at Laguna Seca.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 AM

I'm a picture taker too, but that would be all that we'd have in common as far as quality of what's being photographed, 'n having an eye for what looks good in the frame. doesn't stop me though!!!!
obviously you've got it going on with the camera.

best regards,
jagg
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Philosopher

Philiam - I love that shot of those Webers on the Cobra, a classic. However, not ALL serious racers use velocity stacks or even carburetors.

This is an Enderle injection system that I had on a big block Chevy. As you can see, it's fairly non-restrictive when the butterflies open. Doesn't filter very well, that's why they call it a "bird catcher". Imagine that sticking up through the hood of your stewie.

There's not much you can do about it, if you want more air, you're gonna get more dirt. The best of both worlds would be to use a VERY LARGE filter with alot of surface area but not as porous as the k&n.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Awesome blower! The point I was trying to make, and you do it better, is that serious race cars don't use K&N or anything else. Of course they rebuild the engines quite frequently.

In my hot rod youth, we didn't much worry about using a filter on our flat head V8's. That was when you could drive your car to the drag strip, a little air strip with one shade tree, pull off the exhaust manifold and run what you brung. Who could afford headers?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Member, Literally

Originally Posted by jagg View Post
I'm a picture taker too, but that would be all that we'd have in common as far as quality of what's being photographed, 'n having an eye for what looks good in the frame. doesn't stop me though!!!!
obviously you've got it going on with the camera.

best regards,
jagg
jagg,
It's like the musician said when someone asked him how to get to Carnegie Hall. "Practice man practice.

I could show you a few tricks and you'd be shootin good before you know it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow porsche.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	285   Click image for larger version

Name:	supercharger.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	286   Click image for larger version

Name:	aston c jag allard.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	287   Click image for larger version

Name:	34MG NE.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	288  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 AM

K&N stage 2 is still the short ram intake i believe. even though i am new here, i had been driving a rx8 for years and known something about at least some intake systems.
AEM CAI is the one which holds filter more outside to apply more cold air. dont know that much about s2000 (its the reason why i came here), but rx8 and s2000 are both N/A and high rev engine, so i think the principle should stay a little bit same.
a drop-in K&N filter would be the cheapest way to go with no much difference.
just my personal idea...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K & N air intake vs stock intake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.