washing the cat

Old 05-04-2019, 10:49 PM

washing the cat

So I was getting the usual gang of dead cat codes and I did what everybody does who dosn't want to buy a new catalytic converter. Hint thats everybody. I replaced the O2 sensors. That accomplished what it usually does. Another hint nothing.
So I condemed myself to buying a new cat. BUT FIRST ! Im going to Seafoam the behesus out of the intake manifold cause its really grimey and I'm too lazy to take it off. I pulled the cat off because it comes off really easy and I didn't want all that groaty stuff in my exhaust system. A can of seafoam down the intake in ten minutes is spectacular.
So I went to put the dead cat back on and I looked down it's throat. The inlet end and it looked just like the intake manifold, all gunked up with rotten dinosauer. The cat is made up of a sheet of corrigated metal stuffed in the can. couldn't even see down it.
So because the PBR to Pacifico ratio was just right I dedided to wash the cat. I Have 7.5 gallon buckets I can get from work which I can get from work. Wierd size I know but lucky because 5 gal. would be a little small. I put the cat in it, shot the inlet with Joy soap and hit it with the hose straight out of the water heater. If you don't have this connection in the garage you should get one. The amount of crud that accumulated in the bucket was amazing/hideous. I did rince, lather, repete about six or eight times, don't remember, until good. Now the wierd thing. You have to get the soap out so the endeless rince. After 100 gal. of hot ( I have a killer gas water heater ) water I came to the conclusion that the bubbles out the bottom are a phenomenom of the cat not the soap. Done and done I put it back in.
So after nine months all is still good. No codes. Nice bump in power (perceived ). Any insights or inquiries are readly sought.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM
EYECELLEM

Great job in bringing your dead cat back to life
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM

Pet cemetery in the driveway.