Whining/Squealing Sound from Rear

Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 AM

Whining/Squealing Sound from Rear

Hey guys, I have an '01 AP1 that sits in the garage for most of its life. I've recently taken possession of it and have been fixing all the little issues and maintenance since I've had it. The car originally has been battling with a whining/squealing sound, something similar to a bad wheel bearing coming from the rear driver side. I've done some digging and found a thread about the rear axle nuts not being torqued as high as it should from factory, and applied that fix to see if it would solve my issue... And it did!

However, after driving a few days, I've noticed another sound that's speed dependent and only happens when I accelerate. When I let off the gas or cruise in gear or neutral, the sound goes away. It only happens when I apply throttle and gets louder/faster the faster I go. It sounds like it's coming from the differential, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas what I should look for?

Background info:
- 120K miles
- Rear axle nuts re-torqed
- Trans/Diff fluid replaced 6 months ago with Honda MTF & Mobile 1 75-90 diff fluid (car has been driving <500 miles since then)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Does it happen when you accelerate on a right turn?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Got S2000?

If you're certain it's coming from the rear of the car, then I'm stumped. (I'd think the CV joints would make a sound constantly, not only under an acceleration load).
However, this could be something related to the intake or air pump, or maybe even a faulty ground from the alternator. Is there an aftermarket radio installed?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
Does it happen when you accelerate on a right turn?
I haven't gotten to test that (or noticed it), but the sound is gone again.

Originally Posted by Jim21680 View Post
If you're certain it's coming from the rear of the car, then I'm stumped. (I'd think the CV joints would make a sound constantly, not only under an acceleration load).
However, this could be something related to the intake or air pump, or maybe even a faulty ground from the alternator. Is there an aftermarket radio installed?
It's not an electronic whine that's commonly related to the intake or radio whine.

When I was under the car again, I didn't notice anything unusual, and everything looked good (besides some surface rust here and there). Anyways, I ended up changing out the tranny & diff fluid again since it's been a while... This time I switched over to Royal Purple for both tranny and diff (used Honda MTF/Mobile 1 in the past), also removed the axle nuts again, cleaned off the surface of the nut and hub face really well, then re-torqued it back. All sounds are gone, and I've driven the car for a good amount this past weekend. I'm not entirely convinced that this is the root cause, but I don't want to start pulling things apart if it's not showing symptoms at the moment. If it happens again, I'll end up pulling off the rear end and just inspecting the components piece by piece.

Thanks yall! =]
Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Are you sure you didn't lock your dog (or kid) in the trunk?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Lol. No dog, no kid. Though if a rat got trapped in there, it's probably squealing for it's life.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 AM

I thought I came across a few threads on s2ki a while ago talking about rear diff whine noise. I'm pretty sure its fairly common in ap1's . I know my 2002 has a whine in the diff. Replacing fluid stopped it for a few hundred kms at best, but it came back again
Old 01-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Yeah a few of my S2000 friends say that the AP1's typically have diff issues and blowing up more common than the AP2. I sure hope that's not my case here...

So far I haven't had any issues since I've re-torqued the axle nuts. I've driven the car a few times this past week (maybe like 100 miles total), and all seems well. I really hope no other symptoms pop up.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Good to hear. I'm wondering how long it'll take before mine goes ..