S hard starting - S2000 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #1  
Top Always Down

S hard starting

’01 with 186k miles. Baby is a bitch to start. I have to pump the gas (which I know I shouldn’t) just to start it like my old VW bug. Was running like ****, but much better now affter some of the stuff I did in the following sentence.. ‘Twas dying at idle and bogging and hiccuping on acceleration That’s good now. Throws random codes. Multiple and random misfires and misfires in different cylinders. #3 always (probably a burnt valve) and occasional secondary O2 sensor or air pump code, but really randomly. So I have 10k on the oem plugs, 35k on oem coil packs, valve adjustment 2k ago, clean K&N, cleaned MAP and did MAP whack, cleaned IACV, removed and cleaned throttle body, Lucas injector cleaner for a tank, prior to that, Techron, replaced the vtec gaskets (Yay, I have vtec again!) Reset the ecu twice. Runs great but just doesn’t want to start.
Any ideas?
Dr. Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:09 AM   #2  
Got S2000?

Hmmm.....would a dying or clogged fuel pump cause this? I'm thinking not, since that seems to be one of those things that either works or it doesn't.

I think a compression test might be a good idea, as that could certainly be a cause for the hesitation to start.
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #3  
Top Always Down

I did a lot of research on this and have done pretty much everything except checking voltages and fuel pressure. I did come across something that nobody posted out of all of the threads that I searched and the fuel regulator may be an issue. Don’t know where it is or how to test it. Pretty buzzed last night when I came across that post.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #4  
Got S2000?

A parts diagram may help you find the regulator.
Crazy....I didn't even know we had a fuel filter.

https://parts.sonshonda.com/products...iABEgKh3fD_BwE
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #5  
Top Always Down

After everything I went through, the fuel pressure regulator was the bad link. Starts great, doesn’t die at intersections and doesn’t bog on take off like I’m just learning to drive a clutch. I’ve researched a lot of threads and ruled out all of the least expensive routes before replacing parts on the hopes that it would fix it. Honda told me to replace the IAC valve, but I took it apart and cleaned it, and it was good.
Im happy to have my S back to normal (except for the cylinder 3 misfire which I think is a burnt exhaust valve).
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #6  
Got S2000?

Glad to hear....thanks for the follow-up.

It's tough to see our beloved cars growing old! They don't purr forever
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM   #7  

Thanks a lot for new info. I have been fooling around with injectors due to a cat experiment ( another post lator )
and noticed that under flow injectores bog on takeoff and have poor proformace under 4500. They seem to clean up in V-Tech but I haven't really checked the true proformance. Low flow kind of mimics low fuel pressure.
I know there are aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulators and I was thinking to get one for another place to screw with settings. So where is the component you changed located ? Also did you consider the manifold pressure offset valve ?
I know this is not really helpful but it's all about the INFO man ! Also I'm a little ( lot ) alterantely fueled so thanks in antecapation for your tolerance for my lapse in syntax, grammer, spelling, politico corectness, and all other sins real and imanged.
It was just so compelling and interinging I just couldn't resist.
AP1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM   #8  

Also " new to clutch ". Your killing me !
AP1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #9  
THE STIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
After everything I went through, the fuel pressure regulator was the bad link. Starts great, doesn’t die at intersections and doesn’t bog on take off like I’m just learning to drive a clutch. I’ve researched a lot of threads and ruled out all of the least expensive routes before replacing parts on the hopes that it would fix it. Honda told me to replace the IAC valve, but I took it apart and cleaned it, and it was good.
Im happy to have my S back to normal (except for the cylinder 3 misfire which I think is a burnt exhaust valve).
Thanks for your help.
Glad to hear you got it figured out!!
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #10  
Top Always Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP1Dave View Post
Thanks a lot for new info. I have been fooling around with injectors due to a cat experiment ( another post lator )
and noticed that under flow injectores bog on takeoff and have poor proformace under 4500. They seem to clean up in V-Tech but I haven't really checked the true proformance. Low flow kind of mimics low fuel pressure.
I know there are aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulators and I was thinking to get one for another place to screw with settings. So where is the component you changed located ? Also did you consider the manifold pressure offset valve ?
I know this is not really helpful but it's all about the INFO man ! Also I'm a little ( lot ) alterantely fueled so thanks in antecapation for your tolerance for my lapse in syntax, grammer, spelling, politico corectness, and all other sins real and imanged.
It was just so compelling and interinging I just couldn't resist.
The only mod I have on my S is a K&N. The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail to the right of the PCV tube. It was leaking gas into the intake manifold, thus running very rich and causing my starting and dying issues. Speaking of starting, I see that I put "Staring" instead of "Starting" in the thread title. I don't know if I can edit that or the Moderator can do that.

Looks like your spell-check is alternatively fueled too.
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #11  
THE STIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jimbo View Post
Speaking of starting, I see that I put "Staring" instead of "Starting" in the thread title. I don't know if I can edit that or the Moderator can do that.

Looks like your spell-check is alternatively fueled too.

Fixed!

Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote