Cheap clutch - S2000 Forums

Cheap clutch

Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 AM

Cheap clutch

Well you know those cheap clutch kits you can get on e-bay ? $300 for the whole nine yards. I installed one in my daily driver about a year ago. I drive in traffic too so the clutch gets a lot of use. The release bearing failed (250 miles from home) so I had to pull it apart. On inspection this is what I found. The flywheel disk and pressure plate were in great condition. The disk had what looks like no loss of thickness with a nice surface finish. The flywheel and pressure plate were like new. no sign of wear at all.
The bearings on the other hand were CRAP. The Throwout bearing (see above) just came apart. But that was a good thing because the pilot bearing had failed too. Luckily it didn't damage the transmission lnput shaft yet.
So my take on this is its an ok clutch if you use replace the bearings with some better (name brand) ones. This will bring the price up to about $500 so...

Last edited by AP1Dave; 06-13-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: terrible dad spelling
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 AM
THE STIG

Personally I'd just stick to OEM parts.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Time and time again OEM parts on this car trump (no pun intended) off brand parts. Some replace rear axles and find the solid after market ones vibrate at speed; the OEM are hollow and perfectly matched. This includes hoses, serpentine belts and gaskets.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Never Slow down

OEM 100% Agree
Old 07-29-2018, 01:25 AM

I agree that OEM parts are the best if the maker actually makes the part but...
Honda dosen't make bearings. For example the pilot bearing is a Nachi 6904NSE which can be had at any bearing house for 1/3 the dealer cost. The throwout bearing is a Nachi 68 FDRG DL mounted on a Federal Mogul hub #614180. If you have a press and are ok with this sort of thing the cost could be reduced to about $50. If your hub is good. The same is true with lip seals.
Most other seals it's best to stay with OEM Honda because they are made to Honda spec not just "whatever".
Same goes with transmission syncroniser rings but again the bearings are outsourced.
While I really appreciate Honda holding the price down on OEM only parts like the clutch fork or throwout bearing guide the tripple markup on off the shelf parts is well...
thanks for letting me rant. Sort of sorry but... not
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by AP1Dave View Post
I agree that OEM parts are the best if the maker actually makes the part but...
Honda dosen't make bearings. For example the pilot bearing is a Nachi 6904NSE which can be had at any bearing house for 1/3 the dealer cost. The throwout bearing is a Nachi 68 FDRG DL mounted on a Federal Mogul hub #614180. If you have a press and are ok with this sort of thing the cost could be reduced to about $50. If your hub is good. The same is true with lip seals.
Most other seals it's best to stay with OEM Honda because they are made to Honda spec not just "whatever".
Same goes with transmission syncroniser rings but again the bearings are outsourced.
While I really appreciate Honda holding the price down on OEM only parts like the clutch fork or throwout bearing guide the tripple markup on off the shelf parts is well...
thanks for letting me rant. Sort of sorry but... not
You put way too much effort into this post...
Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM

It really is a little over the top isn't it.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:45 PM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by AP1Dave View Post
It really is a little over the top isn't it.
and then a bit more...