Go Back  S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Engine rebuild officially started- need advice >

Engine rebuild officially started- need advice

Old 01-25-2018, 02:36 PM

It's been a while since I posted. Last year I spun a rod bearing in cylinder number 2 due to oil starvation. From this point forward, I will be checking my oil every time I drive the car (which isn't often) and have 2 spare quarts in the trunk. The tech doing the build will be taking photos as the assembly evolves. So here's the overview of what we discovered on the tear down:

The number 2 con-rod bearing was spun and metal fragments we observed on the initial oil drain. No other damage was noted by the tech. The machine shop that inspected the block and head noted the amount play in the wrist pins were beyond factory spec. Also, they recommended replacing all exhaust valve seats and guides. I ended up going with all new OEM pistons and connecting rods which was pricey, but I didn't want to deal with an aftermarket fitment issues or having to sleeve the block by using different pistons. My block was honed to match OEM oversized pistons from Honda. The head has been freshened, all new bearings, rings, thrust washer, ARP head studs and con-rod bolts have been sourced. The crankshaft which showed minor scoring on #2 journal was welded and the entire crank was machined, journals matched and nitride treated. The work was performed by a very reputable machine shop and it too was pricey.

Here is the advice I'm seeking. I'm thinking about ordering another chain tensioner and timing chain. I'd like to reuse my oil pump, but have concern it may have been compromised with metal bits circulating in the oil for short time the motor was running after the bearing spun. I'm not on an unlimited budget with this build, so I'm trying to be smart about it. I basically have about $4K into parts and machine shop labor. The tear down and rebuild labor is additional. So now I'm flirting with $5K in costs and have already committed financially into it. If you were in a similar circumstance, what else would you add to the build? I'm in CA and don't want to mess with "hot smog" certs and other non-compliant headaches. If I were in another state, I would be driving around in a K-swapped car. Thank you CARB for not allowing this.......and many of your other dated policies that sometime defy logic.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:12 PM

As a newbie, I'm surprised no one has responded to this!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 AM
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Originally Posted by Johnsfolly View Post
As a newbie, I'm surprised no one has responded to this!
S2000.com isn't as active as some other S2000 forums. Others like S2KI and S2KCA are more active.