Spun a bearing, options to fix

Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Spun a bearing, options to fix

RE: 2004 AP2 w/ stock motor spun bearing, 95K miles

Long story short, I spun a bearing and need to replace my motor. So far I've explored the following options. Keep in mind, I'm not a master mechanic so I'll be sourcing out the labor. Here's what I've looked into. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Used engine: My preference is to find one with less than my car's current mileage of 95K. I'm finding many with higher miles and those that have less are pricey at $4K-5K. I would have the current unit swapped out with a used motor.......basically plug and play with transferring a few bits over. This seems to be both the quickest and cost effective approach. Drawbacks would be not really knowing the history of the used motor. Labor rates for the swap have been $1K to $1,700. Assuming my head is fine, I'll part it out for at least $1K helping recoup the cost.

Short Block: This has been hard to find, but I've located a source for a recon F22C1 for $3,000 + shipping. It's a close to getting to a zero mile motor as possible with doing a full blown rebuild. Total costs parts and labor w/ short block is $5,400

K24 swap: I was intrigued by this at first, but was quoted $10K for a turn key build with tuning and upgrades to the K motor. This is not a make sense option. I can't validate taking my car away from it's original form and pay twice as much to do it. I know the K series units can be built to became badass all motor power units, but not looking for those numbers either.

Other suggestions?? Anyone who's been through this process, I'll appreciate your feedback. ***Also, looking for a reputable, honest technician in or near Sacramento*** . I can have the car transported if need be.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM

The only real option with this is a new engine. I went from an AP1 to an AP2 for about 6,000 ( So many people told me they can do it for cheaper) but i chose to pay a little more for the fact that cheap isn't always the way out especially with cars. OR can cause more problems down the road.