Trying to fix intermittent shifter play going into 5th/6th - S2000 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Trying to fix intermittent shifter play going into 5th/6th

After leaving the gym last week, I noticed my shifter had way too much play around the area of 5th and 6th gears. In fact, the shifter could move a solid inch farther to the right then it ever has before while in neutral or the areas of 5th and 6th gears. Think of a manual gearbox in a 90s Jeep Wrangler. It is still acting strange intermittently (e.g. in neutral won't go into 5th and 6th sometimes) but as of right now is acting normal (no additional play). I want to figure it out before something worse develops that I might be able to mitigate.

*1st through 4th as well as reverse gears are normal. This isn't a surprise given how 5th and 6th are linked mechanically.
*No miss shift, skipping gears (I never skip gears), or unusually hard driving prior to the issue. Only 68k miles on my 2004 AP2.
*The transmission still shifts fine into 5th and 6th and the gears hold. They are hard to find, however, given how much play there is in the shifter when it is acting up.
*I tore the center console out and everything looks normal. The 4 main bolts that hold it in place look fine as.
*I put it up on a lift and inspected there too. Fluid checked and looked good (20k miles on it) and at the right level. The 4 main bolts that hold it in place from bottom (different from the aforementioned bolts) were good.

It seems as if something is slightly* damaged; perhaps the syncro or shifter gates. I've replaced/rebuilt all parts of the drive train but transmissions so I am not as confident in my diagnosis skills here. All suggestions are appreciated.
steves2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves2k View Post
*I tore the center console out and everything looks normal. The 4 main bolts that hold it in place look fine as,
Pull the 4 bolts, remove the shift rod and check the nylon piece at the bottom of the shift rod. If this has split or broken, you might get the same symptoms. While you have it out, put some grease on that nylon piece because nobody ever does and it make the shift action so much nicer.
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

I wonder if the transmission mounts could do this? One or more possibly bad.
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 AM   #4
8 Hours NE of the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I wonder if the transmission mounts could do this? One or more possibly bad.
If it were the mounts, you'd see the shifter moving under acceleration and it would appear in every gear. (and as tight as the tunnel and the transmission are to each other, you'd probably also hear the noise when the trans moved).
kgf3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
2009 Rio Yellow/A7E/A330

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf3076 View Post
If it were the mounts, you'd see the shifter moving under acceleration and it would appear in every gear. (and as tight as the tunnel and the transmission are to each other, you'd probably also hear the noise when the trans moved).
cosmomiller is offline   Reply With Quote